You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Angel In The Snow

Real Ghost Stories

Angel In The Snow

 

The following incident happened when I was 11 years old and I remember it clearly.

It was just before Christmas and my mom and I had decided to visit my Granddad and to put some flowers on my Nan's grave at the cemetery just round the corner.

The day started clear but very cold and as we enjoyed my Granddads company we realised that we had stayed longer than intended.

As we said our goodbyes we realised that the sky was now a dark colour and needed to get a move on.

We drove the 15 minutes to the cemetery with the day getting darker and noticed that, as it was so late most people were leaving via the front gates. Just for background there was only one entrance

We parked near to the back and as we got out it began to snow heavy. We placed the flowers on the grave and after clearing up etc we hurried back to the car. By this time the snow was thick on the ground and one look from my mom I knew we were in trouble. As this was days before everyone carried mobiles there was no way of letting my dad know where we were. We got out and tried to clear the snow from the wheels but no luck so frozen we got back in the car. My mom began to panic. The cemetery was due to close soon! We could only hope that one of the grounds keepers would take a last walk round before closing for the night.

Suddenly there was a knock on the window and an elderly gentleman was stood there. My mom opened the window and he asked if we would like any help. Of course my mom jumped out the car and the elderly man placed small wooden sheets near the wheels for us to get a grip and get us out. It was a complete relief when it finally worked. My mom thanked the gentleman who said, "I am glad I could help, not a nice place to be stuck at night".

Once in the car, we both turned towards the window, but he had gone. Nowhere in sight, no car and no footprints. There is no way he could have walked away without being seen as this was an open cemetery with very few trees. Of course a little spooked my mom suggested we get out of there, I agreed.

Just as we were about to pull out of the gates we were stopped by one of the grounds men who said "your very lucky we were just about to close" My mom explained that we had got stuck in the snow and that an elderly gentleman had helped get us out. The grounds man face changed and said "there can't have been, as you are the last ones in here" He explained that the gentleman described would have had to pass him to get out and there had been no one passed in the last 25 minutes! We left in a hurry and whenever we visited again we did it in daylight.

Whenever we talk about it we still puzzle over the fact that it could have only have been a ghost as there was no car in sight, he couldn't have walked away without being seen, where did he get the wooden planks from. You don't just walk round with them on the off chance some one might need to use them.

What we didn't realise until later was that the man was dressed in a thin summer jacket, cap and thin trousers but didn't appear cold!

Other hauntings by lankyloo98

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, lankyloo98, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

kaay16 (1 stories) (13 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-10-14)
That truly is creepy! It sounds like you might have had a guardian angel on your side that night 😊 What caught my attention was when you mentioned he had said "I am glad I could help, not a nice place to be stuck at night". Do you think he could have gotten stuck in the cemetery one night and froze to death? Either way, I enjoyed the story, it gave me a slight chill 😉
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-09-07)
That was a very interesting encounter!

I suppose the old gentleman was a kind hearted spirit as he must have been in life!

Thank you for sharing!
book_luver123 (227 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-07)
I think It was a friendly ghost who likes the help people who were your situation.
bookworm93 (3 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-07)
Wow. That's good. Maybe he's an angel sent there to help people get out before it closes because that's where a lot of evil people were buried and their evil spirits walk around at night? Who knows.
TigerLily (3 stories) (145 posts)
+2
15 years ago (2009-09-06)
Wow, that's weird. 😨
I'm glad he helped you and didn't just leave you though. He seems to be a more friendly type.
Where DO you think he got the wooden planks from? Maybe he's some sort of Guardian and he knew that you were going to get stuck in the snow, so he came prepared. 😆

God Bless.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: