You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Attic Doll

Real Ghost Stories

The Attic Doll

 

This was a paranormal experience that I experienced over the summer.

My siblings and I were sent to my grandparent's house, because the painters needed to finish working on the third floor of our house, where our bedrooms are. Not to be in the way we stayed at our grandparent's.

The last time we had stayed there, my youngest brother, and my sister had kept me up all night, as we had had to sleep in the same room. My other younger brothers who are twins, always sleep together in the same room. Because I was kept up by my brother and sister the last time my grandparents, being extremely kind, offered to let me sleep in the attic so that I might get my good night's sleep. I should also mention that I'm 13. The first thing I noticed when I went into the attic was the antique doll next to the bed. Its eyes were open, frozen open, even though they were the kind of doll with eyes that shut and close. I honestly felt as if those eyes were looking into my soul, and every time I looked at them, I got a chill down my spine.

Nothing really happened until the last night. I went to bed after reading Gone with the Wind (my Nana had recommended it to me) and also some manga that I had brought with me. Weird combination, I know. It was a horrible night and I was awake for most of the night. All my senses were alert.

Around 2am, I started hearing tapping noises from my bed. Only, it was from the wire-frame. It only could have happened if there was something underneath my bed, tapping the framework. So I switched on the light, looked underneath my bed, but there was nothing. I went back to sleep, and about 30 minutes later, the tapping began again. It was really obnoxious, but I ignored it, and went back to bed. Then, came the horrible part. I was sleeping, and in my sleep, my friend was saying something to me. I couldn't hear her though, and I said, "What?" in my sleep, and it woke me up.

That's when I heard my Nana, or what I thought was my Nana, say, "Katie." It came from beside my bed. "Katie, why?" "What, Nana?" I said, and turned my head. It was dark in my room, but the moonlight kind of illuminated the room, so that I could see pretty well what was next to my bed, well, it wasn't my Nana. There was this inky black shape. I didn't see any wispy glowy stuff that most people say is a ghost. It was black, pitch black, a big mass. I started to get a bit nervous. "What, Nana?" I asked again.

Then the mass started to laugh, in a cynical way. It laughed and it laughed. I hid underneath my covers and started saying the Lord's Prayer. My heart was beating so fast, it scared the crud out of me, and the only thing I knew to do was to say the Lord's Prayer, since I'm a confirmed Christian. When I had finished, I peeked outside of the covers. The black mass was gone, but even so, I felt like something was watching. I switched on the lights, and turned back to my bed. The doll was lying next to my pillow, staring at me. It gave me a heart attack, I swear. I started screaming, I ran back downstairs to where my siblings were sleeping, switched on the light despite their complaints, slept that way for the rest of the night.

In the morning, I told my Nana what had happened. My Nana said that she had slept soundly all night, and had only gotten up to use the bathroom. Not once, had she gone up to the attic. She didn't believe me she just thought I had had a nightmare because of the doll next to my bed. So I kept it to myself, until I found this site.

Oh, and by the way, the black mass thing appeared on the side of the bed where the doll was. The doll was standing in its stand next to my bed, and right in front of it was where the black thing was.

So whatever the black thing was, I'm pretty sure that doll had something to do with it.

Anyone know what it was? Whatever it was, it scared me, and it definitely emitted hatred. I don't think it was a playful ghost.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Sakura, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

candycake123 (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-16)
some questions that might help u
Did you see the doll when you saw the mass?
Did you ever ask about the doll?
How old did it look like
Anything else you forgot?
Blablablablabla? ๐Ÿ˜
EveOfGrace (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-06-12)
Unkown12, if you ever log on again... If there is any way to reach you, just know that Jill and Colten are looking for you. We met on the chat that used to be here, years ago. Email us, please. We miss you. And we need you.
ams112700 (27 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-02)
Do you think it was demon or a spirit of someone who died there and there room was in the attic?
spiritual_twinkie (28 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-09-20)
Hey Sakura,
I am twinkle. I am also the same age of you.
In this age my uncle said its quite natural for us to think in this way. I also used to imagine a doll gettting alive or some one standing in front of my bed while sleeping or someone calling my name... I think you should ignore it. Or if your grandparents house is too old may be it can be a evil spirit trying to play tricks on you.
Dont worry, God will protect you. ๐Ÿ˜Š
Thanx,
Twinkle โค
Gamma (1 stories) (5 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-08-26)
Yo! WolfReal! A few things. #1. My randmother is dead and she still visits me.
#2.The nature of Science is to discover things that cannot be proven nor disproven with or without the use of science itself.
#3. You misspelled Stephen King. (Not being rude, just pointing it out.) So next time, Remember this advice before you go repeating this whole Escapade.
HardToScare432 (1 stories) (72 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-07)
Okay never mind! Yes WolfReal is being a JERK! ๐Ÿ˜  SERIOUSLY! ๐Ÿ˜ SERIOuslyy
HardToScare432 (1 stories) (72 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-07)
MikeDemonHunter: You Are right! WolfReal is being a jerk ๐Ÿ˜ I don't want to be mean but seriously it sounds...jerk-like?
Val3 (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-06-22)
Hello. I am sorry to be interrupting your story, but I need help. If anyone knows how I can contact the man who's username is Unkown12, I would truly appreciated them to email me at VendettaSiblings [at] hotmail.com

This is a personal affair...I've been searching for this man, because he was my friend, and then we lost contact. He helped me quite a lot, and it would mean so much if I could find him and thank him.

Please, and thank you.
-Val3
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
MikeDemonHunter and Faraaz,
Wolfreal's last comment on site was 2/21/09. It looks like you do not have a problem, as he would appear to be absent.
Wa-do
Faraaz (14 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-02-24)
MikeDemonHunter, you are absolutely right, I agree with you, wolfreal is a jerk! He must be banned from this site. He always comment on peoples' incidents and say that their incident is a lie, fake and false. The admin must must and must ban this jerk from this site. ๐Ÿ˜ 
MikeDemonHunter (2 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-02-12)
Addmin or whoever runs this site, please, we all think wolfreal's a jerk. So please ban him or something, I'm sure anyone who reads this will agree, if they read his comments. Everyone, respond if you do agree ๐Ÿ˜ 
Faraaz (14 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-11)
What a freaky incident happened to you Katie, you would be so scared at that moment and when you saw the doll and oh my God! If this happens to any other person one the guy will stop being scared and think that it is a nightmare. This sure is an interesting and FREAKY incident. ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ ๐Ÿ˜ญ
Faraaz (14 posts)
+1
14 years ago (2010-01-11)
A person who speaks truth will always believe other people, but a lair will always think that the other person is telling false like him... Actually my point is that wolfreal is a guy who always lies. I think wolfreal's story might be just a lie, false tale. Wolfreal, you've crossed your limits man and this will not be tolerated by us. Stop posting these rude comments, if you think that people here on this site post fake stories, then why you read them? Sakura, we all believe you, just ignore this liar and his lies.

Thanks,
Faraaz.
mrdeagle (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-30)
OMG, scariest story ever. I am so freaked out now. *Turning on lights* ๐Ÿ˜จ ๐Ÿ˜จ ๐Ÿ˜ญ
chocolatemad10 (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-09-19)
the doll may be posesessed or someone had it before your nana that died and wants the doll back or someone haunts your Nanas attick ๐Ÿ˜•
WIckedWitch2000 (1 stories) (71 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-09-11)
I feel very certain that if I had that experience I would certainly had got an heart attack... ^.^
The mass probably...; okay so I know this'll sound pretty crazy, but I THINK the mass could have been the doll's... Erm... SOUL? I know... But if that doll had it's eyes wide open staring... It had something. If it wasn't a soul then what was it? MY THINKING. That was crazy but it could have been it's soul.Maybe, a ghost could've gone into the doll... WAIT...! I have a better idea! What if the doll.../whatever, a person had um, like I do not know how but DIED and like got sucked into the dolls eyes? Just an idea... No need o be rude people. ^.^ I HOPE it gives you an idea Sakura! (The eyes are the windows to the soul)

Great wishes! WIckedWitch2000
PurplePeopleEatersWearConverse (1 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-12)
I have a ghost boy with me who always follows me around, I know more about ghosts the most expert Ghost Hunters from what he has told me. I'm in no way scared of ghosts since I see him almost 24-7 when I'm alone, which most of the time I am. Its my thing, anyway I asked him to read the story but for some reason a refuses to believe that it is true. Maybe he does not want to scare you. But he did say
"If it is by any chance true which I think it is not. Its just a ghost holding the doll and not the doll itself. I could very well pick up a baby doll and you could think the same thing as this story."

Did that help at all? I sorta believe you since my grandmother who I visit a lot has old dolls with glass eyes. I catch myself talking to them sometimes. Like I'm sucked into it like they are real. One of the dolls eyes who I call Megan lost her eyelashes and as I tried pushing them back in her eye I caught myself say "its ok I found it, it was on your pretty dress. Oh no! I can't get it in. I'm soooo sorry I can't find the glue and it might sting you eyes!"
She had the awesome eyes where they open and close and whatever angle you are at left right up down it follows you. I find those eyes amusing and could entertain my for hours... That the type of girl I am ๐Ÿ˜†
WinkycatOfGhosts (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-07-07)
Hey Sakura! This Doll wasn't affected by a prayer? It might be more powerful than the prayer you said. Main thing to do when facing a ghost or possesed Etc.:Be calm as possible. Fear sometimes fuels evil. I admit I hate stuffed animals because some give me a feeling of 'hate' or 'jealousy'.To speak with it and maybe help it to pass on play Quigi near it. This MIGHT work. If the doll persists to annoy then try to say prayers with force and meaning. Wear Holy Beads when you sleep near the doll. And if it becomes pure evil I would pour holy water on it or get a priest to preform an exorcism. If all fails, its time for E-Bay.

God bless and hope the doll leaves you be, Winky โค
Sakura (1 stories) (14 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
[at] WhiteBuffalo:
Thank you for your information!:D

The doll itself, I don't remember much except for the fact that it was upright, and it's eyes were glass. At first, I thought that they could open and close, but it was like they were glued in. That's what I meant by frozen. And it always seemed to be looking at me. #___#;;

About the bed- it was metal, a tight fit. The only sound the bed made were some creaks as I shifted (with the springs). It sounded like someone was taking an object, like a pencil or something, and tapping the metal underneath my matress.

As for the doll and the spirit being connected- nothing else in the attic gave me the chills. I've slept in the attic before (the doll wasn't on display until this year, I think my Nana kept it in a different part of the house until very recently) and nothing. But from the moment I saw that doll, it just creeped me out. It just felt like it was watching me.

My Nana = My Grandmother, yes.

This happened in August, and so far nothing else has happened, so yeah, I have to agree with you- I think I don't have to fear it anymore.

It's funny, I used to love porcelain dolls, but after this, their eyes scare me lolz.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
And just so that you know, Sakura, there ARE such things as Sentient ghosts. The OTHER name that they go by is intelligent haunts.

Sentient senยทtient
1. Having sense perception; conscious.
2. Experiencing sensation or feeling.

The American Heritageยฎ Stedman's Medical Dictionary
Copyright ยฉ 2002, 2001, 1995 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Company.
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-09)
I started to read through the comments (something I do not usually do until after I have posted my own) but did not get too far. If I post something that already has been stated, I am truly sorry, Sakura.
There is a very similar story on this site that I think may interest you, though I hate to tell you, I can not think of the name of it. In THAT story, however, there was a book involved and I do believe maybe a box of assorted items. Very different...
Do I read this right? A few nights BEFORE this incident, you felt uneasy about the doll beside the bed as the eyes were "frozen" open. Do you recall if the doll was sitting UP, or if it were slouching down, or LAYING down? I ask for the elementary reason of wondering if the eyes SHOULD have been stuck open.
The bed frame. Was it the type that the wires "click" into the wooden frame for the support? Is there any "play" in the joints of the metal and the wood, or is it a tight fit?
Is "Nana" the Grandmother who's attic you were sleeping in?
I would THINK that the black mass that you encountered was what is called a Shadow person. All that really means is that there is not enough energy present for the ghost to fully manifest (to show itself in a form that you would recognise). If you just google (or whichever search engine you have) Shadow people and click on the images, you MAY be surprised at what is there.
Other than the fact that this shadow was standing in front of the stand that the doll was on, what other reasons have you for thinking they were connected? Was there something in the DREAM that you woke from, anything hinting at it in the back of your mind as a remnant of the dream? Something that you had been told?

With what you have written, It is MY opinion, and mine only, that you really no longer have anything to fear. Sure, that DOES sound whacked out, but think about this.
What other way would be the BEST way to get a thirteen year old girls attention save for THROUGH a doll? Sexist? Yes, BUT think back in time. Fifty years ago, it was virtually unheard of to give a girl a car to play with. ๐Ÿ˜‰
I will await your answers.
Thank you.
Sakura (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-08)
Rook- It's fine, it's probably what I would have done, but in the future, if someone's being stubborn, don't waste your time trying to reason with them. Chances are they won't listen (as did RealWolf in this situation)
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
Sakura,

My humble apologies, I did not mean to 'steal' your comments thread and have it turn into what it did. But I had to say something. I wish I had some insight into your situation but I must admit I'm not quite sure what may have happened to you that night.

Respectfully,

Rook
unkown12 (10 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
omg your story is the freakist thing I have ever read I hope you get the help your looking for
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
Your story Ill leave. If and when you want real help you know where to find me.
Sakura (1 stories) (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
ENOUGH!

WolfReal, if you aren't going to help me with my situation, please stop.
I respect your opinion, but you're starting wars on my story.

What I saw that night was real. I was not asleep (although I thought at first I was!), and I physically FELT coldness/temperature change in the room- I HEARD it laugh- I SAW that the thing was a black shape, and furthermore- IT IMPERSONATED MY NANA. It spoke in her voice EXACTLY. If that's not a ghost, then I must be going insane, which is 120% unlikely, as I am mentally stable. I am only 13.

Please, just leave, you're not helping, and you're starting to offend me with your rude comments. There's a thin line between skepticism and rudeness, and you've obviously crossed it.
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
Sentient sprits\ souls do not exist in our world. Once you are dead you are never seen again in any form that you can interact with it on any level. Ill concede people may be seeing, hearing or feeling things caused by other things but not conscious sentient spirts.
This is fact. Prove to me I am wrong.
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
Until proof can be given that is exactly what it is, fiction. The same thing is seen in the science world. Theroy becomes fact upon proof not before. Only there it is even more harsh. You must convince people your theroy is sound using already ESTABLISHED facts to do so. For ghost stories, nothing has been established yet. Its like trying to prove God or gods exsist.

Its a harsh world. If all that you experence is rudeness in your life, count yourself lucky.

The majority of stories here are not real. The majority are posted from people that like to tell stories, want to "fit" in, want to scare others to see if they can, want to be like Steven King... The list goes on and on. But the majority are not real. Having an open mind is fine. Until it goes against already proven fact. Take for instance someone comes and tells you the know the earth is flat. What do you tell them? No sorry not true? Then they ask yu to prove to them its not. How then would you do it?
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
WolfReal,

The majority of the stories here are real, not made up fantasy. You came here looking for truth and say you have only found fiction? How do you know that? Were your there when these things happened to each and every person? Can you, using the facts presented in each story discount each and every one of them? I think not. (Go ahead, read all of mine, comment on them tell me 'what really happened'.) You ask me; How do I know that my own 'mind' didn't move the object in question? I don't know that for sure. I do know that most research into telekinesis and things of that nature show that only by hard concentration can things be moved with the 'power' of the mind. Could 'something' have tapped into my 'subconscious' and caused the object to move... Yes... If so then what was it? A ghost, a spirit?

The possibilities are endless, but if we keep our minds closed and do not exchange ideas and thoughts on the topic then we will never learn.

Does anyone have solid proof that Ghosts and Spirits exist? No. The next question is Why not? That question alone leads to many, many different points of view, different avenues of research and different reasons why. Do I have any/all the answers, not by any means. Do I want to help find them. By any and all means. That is not something that can be done with a closed mind.

There are a few, very few convincing videos and pictures that I've seen, that truly show something 'unexplainable'. Your argument would be, "That was set up, it wasn't a Spirit or Ghost." The problem with that is 'motive', what motive would these people have to 'fake it'. You would say (and have said... In so many words) For the money... And yet they haven't asked for a single dime. They wanted to share something they captured on film (video or still picture) so that it could be explained to them. There are groups like TAPS that go out, for free, and attempt to gather whatever evidence they can to try and prove or dis-prove paranormal events. (some of the evidence has been gathered by them.)

Coming here to find answers is fine. Coming here to learn is Great. Coming here to call all of us 'fiction writers', well that is just plain rude. Please share your thoughts, and ideas. Bring a healthy dose of skepticism and LEARN with us. Do not presume to come here and TELL us 'everything' has a rational explanation.

Lets work together to find ANSWERS not quibble and argue.

Respectfully,

Rook
WolfReal (1 stories) (140 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-02-07)
rookdygin - one last question. How do you know it was not your own mind that moved the object of which you speak? I'm not saying this is more plausible. Still why would you believe a ghost is responsible over something like this?

I believe the vvast majority of people are here because they like ghost stories. However the vast majority are only doing that, posting stories. I want to know the ones that are real, not made up.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: