You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Haunted Yha

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunted Yha

 

2000 was the last time I went on holidays. I took a trip to NZ for a few weeks, backpacking around the South Island (do it, it's worth the trip). I just finished doing a ten days walking trip around the forests of NZ and said goodbye to the people who I did the trip with (and was glad to see the last of them). Anyway, I ended up in a small village in NZ, name with held...seriously, I don't fancy getting sued at the moment.

I found a reasonably okay YHA (name withheld AGAIN). What I can say about the place that looked to be an old stables dating back to the early 1800's with the garbles, a porch, and the red brick works, very gothic appearance. As I started to go up the steps, I saw this guy standing at the bottom wearing round glasses, black pants that were held up by braces (odd, I remember thinking but cool), red lanky hair, and a collarless shirt (which I thought that's really funky). I said g'day to the guy but he just stared at me. I muttered something under my breath and went inside.

I rang the little bell but no one came so I left my back pack behind the counter and went looking for the owners. I went up a flight of stairs to the first floor, looked around and went up to the second floor where I saw this woman dressed in a grey skirt. She went into one of the rooms so I smiled and strolled to the room where I thought I saw her go in and knocked on it. No answer. Maybe it was the wrong room. Second room I did the same. No answer.

You know, I tried every damned room there was on the blasted floor and no one answered. I was very puzzled but finally I met the owners and signed in. I said nothing about the woman in grey.

It was 3rd night when I finally discovered the TV room, in a small cold cellar, which you had to climb down to get to. There wasn't much furniture, a settee; half torn, and a leather chair which had this girl sitting in it wearing a plaid shirt, long black hair and jeans. Looked like the fashion from the 70s. She was sitting very straight and looking at the TV which wasn't on.

I sat down and turned it on then nodded at her. About 3.5 seconds I got bored and turned to say something to the young woman and... She was gone. I would have heard her go. The chair still had the imprint of someone sitting in but she, herself, was gone! That freaked me out.

I finally worked up the guts the next day when I was leaving and told the owner about what I saw. She called me into the office, sat me down and asked me what I saw. I began with the bloke, who I must say didn't see at all during my time there, the woman in grey ("ah, our ghostly maid." Uh huh?) And the young woman who I saw but didn't see. I was told that the young woman died of a heroin overdose back in 1979 and her spirit still sits in the chair she died in.

Other hauntings by AussieRedDog

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Zealand

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, AussieRedDog, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

quixoticqt (5 stories) (104 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-08)
I don't understand how you could be so cool about seeing a ghost... When I feel a ghost around or when I figure out that its supernatural my blood runs REALLY FAST and I sort of freak out and go where ever that feeling isn't.
Like about that part when you said you looked over and there was nothin I woulda booked outta there.

Qt
AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-26)
TemplerKnight, the YHA is in Dunedin. There's only one YHA there. You'll won't miss it. You might see something there, you might not. I have to say but the street it was located in was rather seedy... Rather explains the death of the junkie.
raingrl01 (5 stories) (151 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-23)
Great story! I enjoyed it. Too bad somebody couldn't go back to the place you stayed and do an investigation. I bet they would get something. Very interesting. I'm so jelous! LOL! Looking forward to more stories from you if you have them. Have a great day 😆
templer_knight (1 stories) (14 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-23)
Definitely a cool tale.
I think it's funny that not only were the owners not only knew about the character you saw upstairs, but it sounded like they were well familiar with sightings.

I think you should feel free to put down the name of where you stayed. Us Kiwis aren't the type to sue over silly things like ghost stories. Besides, people are drawn to places they might experience something.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-23)
Excellent recount of this event. I wonder who the other two spirits were? Why were they hanging around there? The woman who died of the overdose, I can understand...that's such a sad thing. Well, take care now.
staaldak (3 stories) (12 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-20)
Hey!
Thanks for the story. One of the most plausible descriptions of an encounter in ages on this site. I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Take care!
AussieRedDog (24 stories) (81 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-03-20)
Thanks. I never considered myself to have the 'gift'. Guess I was lucky enough to be in the right place at the right time. Not sure if that makes sense. I guess I picked it up from my mother's side. My brothers also seen ghosts and, like me, kept a level head about it. Seeing three ghosts at once, well, almost at once have to be one the strangest experiences. I still don't know about the man and who he was. How did he die? Who was he in life? I guess I won't find out unless I did some research but I haven't the time for that.
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
With all the experiences I read on this sight your's rings very true to me. You may be sensitive and not realize it. To see 3 apparitons in one stay and believing them to be human to find out they were not, only shows me you didn't jump to conclusions or automatically assume it was other worldly. Meaning you kept your head on straight while supernatural things were going on around you. Great story and I'm sure it has changed your views on the supernatural. Most of us will never encounter a full appartion and you saw 3. I don't know whether to be jealous of you or just glad I'm not you lol.
shandi (9 stories) (86 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-03-19)
Oh creepy, I will have to read your other posts because that was such a great read. 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: