You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Running On The Staircase

Real Ghost Stories

Running On The Staircase

 

So I am new to this site, and I am hoping to find some answers. My experience isn't exactly scary, I am just curious as to what's going on.

Before I start I'll give you some information about my home. I live in a two storey house in Sydney with my parents. My bedroom is upstairs next to the staircase, while my parents are situated downstairs on the other side of the house. When my parents bought this house it was only one storey (I was not born then), and they later added a second storey. From what they have told me the house is only about 35 years old. Alright, hopefully that info will help.

At night I often wake up out of restless sleep. Its something I have done for years. One night I woke up as usual, it was 3:45am. I was lying staring at my ceiling hoping to drift back to sleep, when I heard what sounded like someone running up the staircase. It continued to run up and down for maybe 5 minutes. The first time this happened it completely freaked me out as nothing like this has ever happened before. When I told my dad the next day he told me that our house creaks a lot, it is just more noticeable at night time. But the thing is, I can tell when someone is walking up or down the stairs because I have lived upstairs all my life. I can even distinguish who it is walking up the stairs. The bottom two stairs make a certain noise when you walk on them, so I can guess how far away the person is from the top.

The sounds that I hear aren't just creaking, it is mainly thudding. Heavy thudding of running feet that get louder as they reach the top of the staircase, and fainter at the bottom. I don't hear them every night, but when I do they always start when I am awake, usually around 3:30am. At the time I am never thinking of anything scary, so I don't think I have been talking myself into hearing things. I am normally just thinking about getting back to sleep.

But this one time I woke up to the sound of something heavy falling down the stairs. The running started straight afterwards. I don't really know why I haven't gone out to see what's there. I just get this feeling like I shouldn't. It was about 2 months ago when that happened, and thankfully I haven't heard the running since.

Seeing as the second storey to my house wasn't built until my parents bought it, I can't recall anything horrible happening on the staircase. However I have played Ouija board a few times with my friends upstairs. I haven't touched the thing in a very long time (now that I know how bad they are) and it is still sitting in the room opposite mine. Maybe I have brought something into the house?

Please let me know if you have any ideas and feel free to ask me questions. Hopefully I haven't left too much out.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Australia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Rosalie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

wanderer (6 stories) (71 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-21)
I have to say I agree with Tonith. Since its all happenning in the early hours after you've just woken up, it could be connected to dreams.
Another thing to consider is that you might have a poltergiest. Are there teens in your house? That can often cause manifestations like this. Annoying but essentially harmless.
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-20)
With all due respect, I disagree.

It is ARROGANT to think that we humans -- with our limited reason, knowledge and experience -- can control the ancient/eternal, incorporeal spirit world. We cannot even fully grasp (understand) it; so how do we dare expect to control it?

That which is revealed to us is but "the tip of the iceberg," and you don't need to Google "Titanic" to discern the relationship between icebergs and humanity.

Human arrogance is what continually dooms us for failure and pain... Something to ponder the next time anyone reaches for a planchette.

Regards,
A.
templer_knight (1 stories) (14 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-20)
Just as a sculptor can turn clay into a figure of a man, so too can untrained and fearful minds turn energy into something to fear. Oija boards, when used poorly, can lead to some pretty unsettling things. However, I don't put much credit into tales of demons from other dimensions savaging peoples minds because they played with something they didn't understand.

Think of it this way: If a child plays with an old clock, and it begins to chime, they may fear they've done something wrong. Someone who knows the clock can adjust it to stop chiming. No harm done, just a lesson in not messing with something you don't understand.

As for whatever's going on on the stairs, I can't explain it, only reconcile that I've heard of a similar occurrence. This one was someone rapping their knuckles against the slats down the corridor (including the ones behind a bookshelf). It's harmless, if a little unsettling. If it happens again, think 'There it goes again 😜 and go to sleep'.
Tonith (1136 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-19)
I don't hold much stock in ouija boards but that's me. I believe much of it is just the subconscience and link that with hormonal teenagers, suggestion and atmosphere and it's not a wonder things get weird. If I read your story correctly it does seem like most of what you are experiencing happens while you are in bed. You could be experiencing something akin to night terrors or lucid dreaming. Hormones play a huge role in this kind of dreaming. Everything in your body is in constant change as a teen. For myself, when pregnant I had very lucid dreaming because of hormonal overload and it is frightening but it's not real. Chances are as your hormones level out all this will cease.
Miss_laura (9 stories) (60 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-18)
maybe just maybe what ever you had contacted never left after all it sounds like maybe you might not have ended the session properly?!
Rosalie (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-18)
Hello everyone thank you for all of your comments!
Yes I have contacted spirits with the board, but only about once or twice. The sessions did not last very long and most of the replies I read from the board didn't make much sense.
The time that I played with my friends was a bit disturbing. One of my friends started to get a bit freaked out by the whole contacting spirits thing, so I decided to end the session. I told the spirit to leave, but the planchette wouldn't budge. I asked it again, but still nothing. So I yelled, and then the door slammed shut by itself. I then forced the planchette to goodbye. As soon as I did the room felt calm and normal again.
For all I know it could of been the wind that slammed the door shut. That is a strong possibility. I just can't really remember that much, it was a very long time ago.

Yes a family lived in the house before us, and they where the people who built it. I'm still trying to find out more information as to wether there was another house on the land before this one.

I really don't have any intentions to use the board again, I think its safe not to make situations worse.
But I do have the urge to see what's running on my staircase... Though I do get a bit scared being upstairs by myself.

Thanks again for all of your ideas:)
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-17)
By the way, I forgot to say this, NEVER SHOW THEM FEAR. That what they want, it makes them more powerful. Trust me, I have spirtes both good and bad 24/7. Hey atracted to me cause I use the ouija board and the dark arts, they just don't harm me cause they fear me, but like I said if my last post did not help e-mail me.
blank (8 stories) (110 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-17)
Hey that's just something trying to prove its presence there. Is your family the first ones to stay there if not try getting some info from the past. Have you ended the ouija abruptly or did you get any messages, because there is a possibility that it could be the outcome of the ouija board too. I've had a few experiences because of it. For now bring down a religious person to get the house blessed because as you are the only person staying up it is really trying to grab your attention or something, talk to elders who are more broad minded. Take Care.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-17)
My grandparent's house is very old and it do creaking and make alots of noise when walking that drive me nuts about that. But I do believe something in that house when your family are asleep.
IfriendJinx (12 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
Well I say it's just a random haunting.
Ghosts' usally do random hauntings to differnt people.
And I need to tell you if it happens again (whitch I think won't) don't go looking cause if you hear anything it's bad luck to catch a ghost in it's act, cause that's how the real haunting's start.
Like they are ringing and you pick up then you start a terrifying convosation
miri_chan (6 stories) (69 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
Next time you hear it, you should peek out of your room and you might see something. Are you the first people living in the house? If not, do a bit of background reasearch and see if there used to be another house or a burial or something where the house is now. I'd also like to know if you contacted any spirits with the board.
Rosalie101 (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
i agree with zoajet the ouija board is not good for you, you can either get a bad spirit like a demon or a good spirit my sister whos is two years younger than me had a couple of friends over. They were having a slumber party. One friend brought one of those boards and I moved out of the house when I was 17 (college) I got a phone call one nioght when I was in my apar. And then my little sister says his name was fred and he died in this house and everything else so they arent good for you
grimcarebear (1 stories) (4 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
I know what you mean with the "recognizing who is coming up the stairs" thing, even though, in my house, it's a hallway. I know it just might be the house creaking... But when I'm home alone and hear the hallway make the noise like someone's walking down the hallway... It freaks the crap out of me.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
The ouija board is a portol to another place known as the spirte world. Once you use the board, it opens the portol. Any time a ghost can come through it. Most people say to burn it or brake it... But NEVER DO THAT! Once open their will be ghostes coming in. Here is how you should deal with them. 1: have a exocism done in your house. 2: put up little paper called seals around the house. 3: (you don't have to do this) do another exocism. 4: wait a while to see how things are, if it stops then if your lucky, find a person who can do a sealing cerimony on the ouija board. Then after that, the portol should of closed and its ok to destoy it. If you need to ask me anything, send an e-mail. Dragongod101 [at] hotmail.com
Miss_laura (9 stories) (60 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-16)
mmm. That could be possible. Have you any past experience with ghost when playing with the board. Didi you contact any spirits?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: