You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Ghost Hunting :: Graveyard Blackout

Real Ghost Stories

Graveyard Blackout

 

My group of friends is extremely interested in the paranormal. We've had several ghost encounters in graveyards, mostly via voice recordings, but we've never had anything like this.

Tonight as the sun was setting, we went to a family cemetery outside of town that we had seen several times. We always found some excuse not to go there at night, but with the sun still casting shadows over the gravestones, it didn't seem nearly as foreboding as it had before. We were wrong!

It started out well. The cemetery is extremely old and in horrible disrepair. The gravestones near the front that were still legible read from the mid 1800s. We counted at least a dozen plots for children, affirmed as children's plots not by the illegible markers, but from the stone borders that surrounded most of the plots. Near the back of the cemetery was a small area with between ten and twelve markers under the shade of a large tree.

By the time we reached this area, the sun had set and dusk was quickly darkening. My boyfriend had a horrible feeling like he was going to throw up, and said we should go back to the truck, but I was insistent. It seemed like something was pulling me back to the shaded markers. I argued with him for a moment, and told him that I was going to go and look at the graves, and then we could leave. As soon as I turned back toward the graves and lifted my foot, I became extremely light-headed and found that my legs would not carry me any further. I began to shake all over and I could not move back toward the exit of the cemetery.

After struggling with the wave of nausea and dizziness for a moment, my vision began to blur and I surrendered. One thought filled my head, because my mouth could not move. As soon as I conceded that I would leave, and that I did not mean to invade their privacy, my foot touched the ground and I am not ashamed to say that I hit the ground running. The sickness lingered, and even when I arrived home I was still suffering from sweats, chills, and vomiting.

To any Central Texans who may be reading this story, do not attempt to enter the graveyard on CR 224. Even in groups it is not safe. I only hope that this illness will pass. I've certainly learned my lesson.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Elder, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

jeaneen19 (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-08)
WOW!that is kind of creepy! Way to go!
Crazy! ❤ awesome! I love graveyards!
Angellicaly (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-19)
http://yourark.com/ "ico" try to find the Graveyard here!
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-19)
Absolutely no problem, Thegrinch17.
It is kind of difficult to get the whole meaning of someones comment, or rather what they intended to say, when in response to a different persons comment.
No harm, no foul.
Thank you.

Excuse me again, please, Elder
Thegrinch17 (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-10-19)
Well, maybe I took your comment the wrong way then, Whitebuffalo. If I did then I'm sorry about the misunderstanding. I'm kind of defensive on the subject of paranormal activity because many people tend not to believe those who have actually seen an apparition. They think we're all making it up & I've had plenty of disbelievers give me crap for my beliefs. Hence I don't talk about my experiences with anyone anymore. I've learned my lesson! Sorry again for the misunderstanding! 😁
whitebuffalo (guest)
+1
15 years ago (2009-10-16)
Uh, Thegrinch17?
Please reread what I have written.
I did NOT say that (as quoted from your comment) "...there are no ghosts in graveyards". That would have been absolutely ludicrous of me to say.
What I DID say was that I (meaning ME personally) "...could find MUCH better places that I would think to haunt rather than that."
The remainder of my LAST comment (the one you called "bullshiat") was in answer to the question in the latter part of angelfeathers comment to this story. As in: what were mine, as well as several others OPINIONS on why cemeteries appear to be haunted. It is called giving out the "rounded view", and yes, gases and other situations CAN be proven to be SOME of the sightings.
I also stated that gases were NOT the only cause.
Thank you.

Please excuse the interruption to your page, Elder.
Thank you.
Thegrinch17 (guest)
-1
15 years ago (2009-10-16)
I know that people are entitled to their opinions, but what Whitebuffalo said here is bullshiat! Saying there are no ghosts in graveyards! What nonsense! I know there ARE ghosts in graveyards because I've seen one with my own eyes in a cemetery & it even tried to speak to me! Excuse me, but "graveyard gases" don't speak! I am perfectly sane & do not hallucinate. I don't make up untrue stories, either. Read my story titled "The Graveyard". It tells all about my paranormal experience in the cemetery. ❤
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-30)
Hmmm. Very interesting, there, Elder.
I actually spotted my name in one of the comments, and that is what drew me in, but... I will address that later.

I GET the impression that you passed out, but you did not specifically state that. Did you, Elder? Pass out, I mean?
The reason I ask is, here is your brother getting sick enough to say that he is heading back out due to nausea, and you are going on. Did YOU feel the same way at the time?
It is said that high EMF's can cause such a sensitivity. MANY people are sensitive to them, but SOME are hyper-sensitive to EMF's. EMF's do not always occur when there is an entity present, but neither do they solely occur with high electrical interaction, either. Sometimes the combination of the two situations CAUSE the same physical ailments.
I am curious. How close are the power lines? A power transmitter? Any way for you to test out a theory?

As for the question posed by Kecoughtan: It is MY belief that there are many things that occur in cemeteries that cause sightings, or supposed sightings. One of those things is a cemetery being out and out haunted (but, to tell you the truth, I could find MUCH better places that I would think to haunt rather than that).
There is also the release of gases into the air that cause some supposed sightings. Often times, the mist that is seen hovering above a grave site is simply gas being released into the atmosphere. The gas that is released is in direct connection to the decomposition of the body. In the late 1800's one of the main ingredients in embalming was arsenic. With only using three pounds of the arsenic per person, in a rather large cemetery, there would be about one ton of arsenic interred into the earth. Add the metallic caskets that were used in and around the 1880's, and you have a chemical reaction just waiting to happen.
Nowadays we use formaldehyde in embalming, and when IT gets oxidized by atmospheric oxygen, it changes into formic acid, and ultimately methanol.
Depending on the concentration of those buried BEFORE the 1800's (a FORM of embalming was used, but often times there were those that were not "prepared" after death) with NO form of chemicals used, and those buried using arsenic, and then those with formaldehyde...
All Chemicals. Chemicals react to one another in either a good, bad or indifferent way. The human body, when decomposing naturally releases gasses formed IN the decomposition process. In fact, MANY "mist's" can be directly related to simply that. It is NOT a ghost, just the release of the gas.
THAT release of gases has pointed many an investigator, or amature ghost hunter the the remains of someone who was buried in shallow graves all over the world. When the body was properly buried, the gases dissipated, and so did the mist.
Long explanation, and I could go on, as I have come to learn many a thing about the mist haunting, but...
Thanks for asking the question. That could ALSO explain why SOME feel that Native Burial grounds are more haunted than that of non-natives. I personally do not. There is NO evidence to support that theory.
Thank you.
zoajet (2 stories) (276 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-27)
Tonith, graveyards are a big place spirtes roam. The graveyards are the best place for conjuring spirtes from their slumber. To those people who do not want to be hauntes, do not mess with the graveyard's tombs or go there at night.
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-26)
To my knowledge spirits are not big on hanging out in graveyards. While we should have the utmost respect for any graveyard I don't know if people just freak themselves out in such a place. More suggestion than reality to my way of thinking. Have been in our local cemetary for more years than I care to admit to but for the purpose of walking and reflecting. Have even been in one after dark and nothing happened. So while I'm not belittling your experience it almost sounds like what happens when people do encounter something that makes them sick and lightheaded and maybe it's nothing more than electomagnetic fields due to the kind of rock in the area or a power line that may be close to the area. There can be physical reasons for feeling sick to the stomach and vomiting.
TheUnknown (1 stories) (192 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-26)
Your story didn't say anything about a blackout, Elder. I think a suitable title, after I read this story, should be 'Unwelcome Feelings'. But then, this is your story Elder, so think about something that matches your story.

The spirits in that graveyard seem to have gotten used to the privacy of the area, and that might caused both you and your boyfriend to feel nausea and unwell in that cemetery.
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-26)
I got nothing paranormal about this story. You just had some attack... Perhaps you were just scared of what you "thought" would be there.

Next time tell us something about a real encounter rather than just a feeling you got.

I'm sure you thought your "feeling" meant something, but basically it just meant you were scared and so you left.

I'm wondering why this is on here. If this gets deleted because I do not believe, then this site is not much to go to. Thanks.
dreamergal72 (6 stories) (793 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-25)
Hi do you have a link or website about that cemertery? Site? On cr224? I would have read it if to see why that place made you and your boyfriend sick.
Auburnla (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-24)
Hey, Elder, in the few encounters I have had, I have had a physical reaction only twice. Generally, I would say, that that was your boyfriend's body's way of confirming that you're spot on in the presence of the paranormal, and you probably should not have been. Your mind-body connection may even be having a tough time handling it. Perhaps the presence that is there was not comfortable with you being there, and this is a good old fashioned defense mechanism.

It already sounds like you know to be super careful of what you stir up, invite, or cause to affix itself to you. If strange things start to happen or you kind you may need to explain that you meant no harm and were just curious.

I live one house away from an old church and a grave yard, and to my knowledge, the non-living inhabitants have not ventured forth. You happened to be in a place at a threshold time, and who knows what conditions manifested themselves.

Hope all is well, everyone is feeling better, and that future encounters, someplace else, are positive!
ico (1 stories) (34 posts)
-1
15 years ago (2009-04-24)
So you left your boyfriend there. Nice. 😊

You say you've done this before. Tell some of those stories.
blank (8 stories) (110 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-24)
Hmmm that was quite an experience, I've heard of a lot of cemetries being haunted and stuff, but as jmak was saying there's no assurance that the spirits that roam around there belong to the bodies buried. Because once we were shocked when clicking with an infrared camera, the shock was that we didn't catch anything out of the ordinary. Hope you get better soon. If I were you I would be scared too, but my curiosity always overtakes my fear and I would have visited again. Try visiting it again and do some research. We would be glad indeed to read some more of your experiences at that graveyard. Rest in piece those souls. Take Care.
Jmak (6 stories) (156 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-24)
What a truly traumatic experience that must have been. You said that you use audio recorders, did you catch anything on them during this experience?
Why graveyards are haunted? I think one of the reasons is that during the memorial services the wellspring of emotions from the family/friends draws spirits to the cemetaries like moths to the flame. Who's to say that the spirits haunting the cemetaries are the spirits of the people that are burried there and not ones drawn by the emotional outpouring of the mourners? I do hope you get feeling better soon. God bless.
Elder (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
Taurus, I haven't gone back yet, this only happened last night. I intend on going back Saturday during the day to finish clearing the graves.

Frawin, I suppose I'm relatively sensitive to the paranormal. I have strong premonitions, and I am very intuitive about people's thoughts, but I've always chalked the latter up to being very sensitive to body language and the way most people's thoughts work.
It may have been me, but I'm not entirely sure. A couple of my other friends have gone to the graveyard, and while they didn't get a reaction quite as... Vivid as the one that we got last night, everyone said they felt a very unusual energy. We're all pretty used to visiting cemetaries, so I don't think it's the personal expectations. Quite often we go to cemetaries to tidy up and don't have any kind of reaction.

Thanks for the replies! I'd love to hear more input to use as references on Saturday!
FRAWIN (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
Elder, how sensitive to the paranormal are you? The reason I ask is that it may not be the cemetery that is attracting the ghosts/spirits- it may be you. Another possibility could be your mind, no I'm not saying you are imagining things,it's just that your mind is a powerful thing- you go expecting and/or hoping to witness something and your mind obliges by creating something for you to experience. This experience is just as real as anything else you experience.

To take a stab at why cemeteries are haunted. My own personal opinion is they are no more haunted than any other place. The only reason I can see for an intelligent haunting of a graveyard would be if someone had a hard time "giving up their body" and wanted to stay as close to it as possible. The rest could be, and this is just a guess, is residual- the grief and sorrow of the mourners could somehow be imprinted in the area like a residual haunting of a house. My own opinion and this is just my opinion is that 8 out of 10 times it's the people that's haunted not the place.

FRAWIN 😊
taurusgirl10 (1 stories) (11 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
That down right scary. It happened to my cousin Brandon once. That dude was afraid to walk around outside with my other cousin Marla and I for two days. And he is four years older than me and two years older than Marla. He must have been really freaked out. Did you ever go back there?
Elder (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
Sqweeky, I don't really understand how my intentions were stupid. If I hadn't made this clear before, my friends and I often visit older cemetaries to clean the graves and make sure that the headstones are still upright. I'm saddened to see graves in disrepair, no matter whose they are.

Hobbyholly, I understand completely what you mean about having respect for those who are buried there. We didn't arrive in the dark, and while we were curious about the age of the stones, my main idea was to set upright the markers that had fallen, and make sure that the grass and weeds were cleared. We aren't sure if it is a cemetary for one family, those kinds of plots are unusual here unless they are further in on someone's property. Most cemetaries located directly on roads, like this one was, belong to small churches. The names also didn't give any clue, because there were several different family names located in different areas of the cemetary.
We come with no equipment except the voice recorders on cellphones and maybe a camera.

Angelfeathers, thanks for the comment. I would be worried about the headstone rubbings as well, but I've found that almost no residual feelings are felt in cemetaries that are frequently visited. This graveyard in particular had not had a new grave in several years, and the majority of the legible headstones read from the 1840s, so I doubt that there are many visitors.

KimSouthO, I'm feeling much better today, but I do find myself still getting odd waves of nausea occasionally. My boyfriend was physically unaffected, but it still may have been an airborne allergen or something. I have many allergies, but none have ever affected me like that.

Thank you all for your comments, and I'd love to get more feedback.
I don't intend on going back there so shortly before dark again, but I do hope to go in another small group to clear the stones in a short while. Part of me feels like the residual energy may lessen with more frequent visitations, and if the cemetary is kept in better repair.

And to throw in my two cents on the cemetary hauntings, I think that family plots in particular may be haunted more strongly because of the earthly bonds between the people buried there.

The cemetary is also located near a founding settlement, and I've been told that it may not be specifically a family plot, but instead the cemetary for the first Anglo community in this area. The bonds between neighbors, and settlers of the same area, may actually be strong enough to count as family bonds.
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
Hobbyholly, thanks for your thoughts. I hadn't really considered the homeless/restless angle. Maybe like some people hang out in bars, some restless spirits congregate in cemetaries because they know that other restless spirits are there?

I agree about paying respects to your ancestors. Unfortuantely, my family doesn't have its own cemetary; but I think it's a nice idea for your bones to be able to rest (eternally) with your relatives in a quiet, private place.

A.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
When did this happen? When di you visit this cemetery? Are you still feeling ill affects? Are you certain there was not something on the ground, in the vegitaton or the air that may have made you and your boyfriend ill?

God Bless!
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
First off angelfeathers: I get your point about having kids on field trips with rubbing. However, If I had a child, I wouldn't mind taking them to a family cemetery and say have them "rub" over my great-grandfathers. Its educational and helps them learn a little about their past.

"Why are Cemeteries Haunted": Whoa boy. I feel that in NO way am I qualified to answer that question as well as some "older" posters... But I'll take a stab.
First of, I believe that most ghosts/spirits haunt where they dwelled/worked/spent time or died. If they are "haunting" those places because they haven't crossed over or have unfinished business... Makes sense.
My opinion is, I think some spirits just haunt/protect where they are buried, Maybe BECAUSE they didn't really have a home/workplace/property where they died to haunt. Does that make sense?
I also think, that with a cemetery you have people buried there, who died all sorts of ways. I think some of those spirits that died and "haunt" the grounds may be sad? Lost almost? Eh?

I have never seen a ghost/spirit at night in a cemetery (mainly because I don't hang out in graveyards at night). Does it happen? I think so. Do people go to cemeteries wanting to see something? YES Do their eyes play tricks on them? Who am I to say? Maybe you see something... Maybe you don't.

I'm sure there are SOME people on here that have experienced VERY real things. I'm sure there are A LOT of people on here that desperately wanted to see something and THOUGHT they did. All I know, is when I go to cemeteries it is to pay RESPECT. It isn't a little "adventure" with my friends. I go with my parents or my fiance. I put out flowers, tidy up the stones and quietly pay my respects.
Kecoughtan (1 stories) (211 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
That's a wonderful suggestion, angelfeathers. I would love to hear Hobbyholly, KimSouthO, WhiteBuffalo and others comment on this--if it's not a distraction to Elder's posting. As a rule I find cemeteries exceptionally tranquil--far from the typical descriptions of oppressive drear and lurking evil. Although I often suspect that many purported cemetery hauntings are merely the result of freaking oneself out, even I have to admit to having had two unexplainable and baffling encounters in the same cemetery.
angelfeathers (106 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
Elder, thanks for sharing your story. Reading so many "haunted" cemetary stories here has really given me pause as concerns secondary-school trips to do headstone "rubbings" at local cemetaries. (Usually, in our school district, this is done in connection with a section on geneaology in a history or English class.) As a parent, I would be FURIOUS if something followed my kids home from the cemetary...

Hobbyholly, KimSouthO or WhiteBuffalo -- or anyone else who might have an idea, for that matter -- in your opinion, WHY are cemetaries haunted? Since your body goes there LONG after it's dead, why would your spirit want to hang out in a cemetary? It's not likely you'd have a memory of the cemetary where your remains are laid. So why haunt there? Any ideas?

😕 A.
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
+1
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
I just commented about a story "similar" to this the other day.

My family in Kentucky is buried in family plots. Many non-gated...up in the "country"...the only way to find them is a family member has to give you directions. We're talking very old graves.

Please have some respect. Someone's family is buried there. Even if you mean no harm... Think about it. Those cemeteries are old and yes... The stones in awful condition. The last thing they need is people walking around them (in the dark) trying to pick up EVP.

Family cemeteries (at least the 4 in my family can't speak for all) are usually private. Therefore, if you don't have the last name, direct relation or a relation of that family with you... Please leave it alone.

Elder: At least you acknowledge you meant no harm and left. I'll give you that.

I'm sorry for the long comment. But when people do things like this... It really bothers me.
Sqweeky1297 (30 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-04-23)
i hope you have that was the stupidest thing that I've ever heard any one do. I'm sorrying if I'm asting like a gerk but that was really stupid

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: