You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Eerie Wail In The Graveyard

Real Ghost Stories

Eerie Wail In The Graveyard

 

From my late childhood years to my early young adult years I used to spend most mid-to-late summers in the weekend house for rest that my maternal grandparents used to own. Their house was in Fužine, a village in Gorski kotar, a mountainous region some half hour distance from Rijeka (by car or a similar motor vehicle), a seaside town I live in. The following story happened 20 years ago, when I was a 16-year old, and yet I still remember as it all happened yesterday.

My cousin (oldest of the two sons of my maternal uncle's ex-wife), his late grandma (mother of my uncle's ex) and I went for a walk one day... Fužine is a small village, and it takes someone who travels by foot no longer than 20 minutes to reach the center, if someone wants to drink a cup of coffee or buy a newspaper or something... Halfway between my grandparents' house (sold to another owner in the meantime) and the center of the village is a graveyard, located next to a pine forest, and that day my cousin's grandma decided that we should visit the graveyard for a short time. The three of us walked around for a few minutes, reading the family names of the people buried when all of a sudden a horrible wail was heard from the forest (even now, after 20 years, I still feel shivers down my back as I write this).

The wail was so close, from behind the first few trees at the beginning of the forest. - It sounds like a crying woman - my cousin's grandma said, sounding rather calm, as I recall, and I have no idea how she felt, nor how my cousin felt (he was 4 years old at the time) but I was shaken to my core...

The three of us left quickly, a minute or two after, and as we got closer to the wrought iron gates that served as an entrance to the cemetery, we heard the loud banging of a hammer, but it turned out to be a man repairing something at the cemetery entrance or near it.

That night I slept with my maternal grandfather in his bedroom on the first floor of the summer house, located on the left side of the hallway (my late grandmother's room was on the right side, near the built-in wardrobe closet), and my grandpa said to my folks the next day that I was muttering something in my sleep sometimes during the night...

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, BojanTheGoTFan84, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BojanTheGoTFan84 (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-08-25)
TravisCannabis

Anything is possible, but I have a strong belief in such things, either way that is not an experience that I would like to go through ever again, no matter if it was a wild feline like a linx, as Jubeele mentioned, or a woman's ghost...
TravisCannabis (69 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-08-24)
I don't know man, I think the previous poster is up to something, it could have been an animal calling for its mate or one being killed. 🤔 😕
BojanTheGoTFan84 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-08-24)
Good day to you, Jubeele!
Yes, I was muttering in my sleep that night because I had nightmares. I hope you will not
Be offended if I do not hear how lynx sounds, just in case. I mean, it is quite enough for me
That I still think about that wail sometimes, I really don't need to hear it again in case it
Sounds the same. Goodbye for now and you also stay safe and well!
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+7
4 years ago (2020-08-24)
Hi Bojan

That must have been a frightening experience for you. It could even have given you an uneasy night when you went back, hence the muttering in your sleep, possibly from bad dreams?

I've known a number of people from Yugoslavia, who remember the days before the breakup into different republics. Their stories always made me wish to visit that part of the world. I know that the Eurasian lynx are found in the wild there. Twenty years ago, there would have been even more abundant wildlife in the forest near the graveyard. Is it possible that you could have heard the cry of a lynx? If you listen to the link below, they can sound remarkably like a wailing woman. Quite unnerving, especially in the vicinity of a graveyard.

You said that your cousin's grandma had been "sounding rather calm" at the time. Could it be something she had heard before? But if she did not tell everyone to run away, she must have felt there was nothing to worry about.

Perhaps the main thing to remember is that no one was hurt and you all came home safely. Stay safe and be well.

Https://www.nationalgeographic.com/news/2018/03/animals-lynx-mating-fighting-conflict/
Https://www.croatiaunbound.com/mammals-croatia

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: