You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Chilly Room

Real Ghost Stories

The Chilly Room

 

This is a fairly long story, so bear with me.

I grew up in the middle of nowhere. Nothing but miles and miles of miles and miles, for miles around.

There're all kinds of stories about the area, though. Never heard any of them until recently. Stuff about giant black dogs, and a witch's grave. I never saw ANY of that stuff. Did see some... Odd stuff. Stuff that freaked me out. One of the scariest involved treasure hunters claiming to having been chased by huge black dogs and evil laughter. This is the worst one, though. This is by FAR the worst thing.

Mainly because it happened to me.

Whatever it was that happened, it MAY be connected with several incidents in my childhood, which I will describe now, just to give some background. Basically, when I was a kid, I didn't have a lot of friends, living in an isolated area. I played alone a lot of the time.

Around the age of eight, I began to think something was watching me as I played. Occasionally, I would catch sight of some sort of shape ducking behind a wall or car. Sometimes, I would hear footsteps on gravel, but with nobody visible. Eventually I got tired of this, and decided to have it out with whoever it was trying to scare me. I saw them duck behind the car as I played and decided this was the time. I began to walk towards the car, angled so I could see around it, to see if I could catch a glimpse of whoever it was. I saw a jet-black human shape, with no readily discernible features, that was staring right at me. Needless to say, I ran the hell back inside and stopped playing outside.

So, now to the main story. When my sister moved out permanently after graduating college and getting a good job in psychiatric nursing, I moved into her massive bedroom. Was a nice change from my old and tiny bedroom. Only problem with it was, and still is, the catch on the window is broken. Its not open but its not fully open. It allows a nasty draught in.

So, for a few years this is fine. Bit chilly at times but nothing too bad. And then, around the time I began to finish up in secondary school, aged between 17-18 (I'm 21 now), I got these really bad vibes late at night. Really bad vibes.

It started off small. Just a feeling. A bad one, but nothing I couldn't explain away. Just the draught freaking me out. Then it started getting worse. Over the next few years, until sometime in September/October of 2008, the feeling started to get worse.

Soon after it began, I moved out of home to go to college but returned every weekend. It visited me Saturday nights. Not always every Saturday, but a few times a month. Often on Friday nights too.

Now, as I have said, it got worse. What ever it was, it began moving around my room. Near the end it began sitting on my bed. At its very worst, something lightly touched my hair on several occasions.

However, it was not limited to the same room by this point. While I was staying over at my sisters one night, I slept in the spare room. And, in absolute darkness, it came to me, and... Well, it spoke to me. I can't remember what it said, or if I even heard what it said, but whatever it was saying, it made me sick to my stomach. I vomited all over the room (disgusting, I know) and yelled at the top of my lungs.

I told my sister and brother-in-law it was just a bad dream, brought on by whatever food that had made me sick.

It continued for a few more days, then stopped. I haven't experienced anything since. Well, not quite. Following the last night it happened, I was awoken by something touching me. Not like before. Not scary. Just a reassuring pat on the head. That was all. I have yet to experience the feeling again, and hope it doesn't happen again.

Other hauntings by Donal

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ireland

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Donal, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
 
11 years ago (2012-12-09)
Witch's grave... I love it... Great name for a hard rock band I'm starting up soon... Thanks for giving us that name
kuromi2012 (guest)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-25)
To me it sounds like a demon my mom has seen. Things like that all her life and she has seen what some call "shadow people" scatter away while bumping into walls and screaming when she enters a room just after coming out of church that would explain why you were throwing up after it spoke to ubecause it could very well be evil and just because its evil doesn't mean it will always do you harm try to pray for it to leave you alone and when its near rebuke it away in the name of the lord and if it runs screaming then you will know for sure if its truly evil
ParanormalReality (35 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-24)
Seems to me it's not much of a "Big-deal-entity." (I made that up, lol), but what I mean is that it doesn't seem to be something that needs attention. I think this because it doesn't seem like it tells anything of itself. You can't really tell if it is a ghost, spirit... Evil or bad. Seems like it's just something normal or random. I think if it gets worse, you should tell someone about it. Thanks for posting. 😁
Donal (2 stories) (2 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-23)
Sorry, meant to get back to this sooner, been busy with exams.

A lot of people have asked if its the same thing in my room, outside and at my sisters place.

Maybe, I'm not sure. I included them all because they seemed relevant. As far as I know, no one else in my family has seen anything. My dad was asked about stuff by someone else, and he said he'd never seen anything, but he'd heard stories. There WAS something, a few years back, about six months before the first visit, I'll throw it up soon.

All I can tell anybody about these experience were that they were not, in any way, pleasant. Everyone of them scared the crap out of me.

Now, heading into summer, going to be staying at home for a few months. If anything does happen, I'll post it.

Someone mentioned gaps in the narrative, I only mentioned key points. They were not isolated events. When I was a kid, feeling something watching me, I felt it for months. When I was visited at night, it went on for 2-3 years. The incident in my sisters place was a once off, I'd stayed there plenty of times before (and since) and nothing.

As I have said, there is another story, which, given the geography, may well be connected to these events, I'll post it soon.
JamesRobiscoe (419 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-22)
Donal-- Can we be reasonably certain it is the same entity at your (family?) home and your sister's? If you're a sensitive, you can pick up vibrations anywhere something is present.
There are gaps in your narrative that make it difficult to draw any particular bead on your experiences, except they have been real enough to be a caution.
If this long period of playing with you is by the same spirit (crossed-over relative, perhaps?), one would think a message would have been made clear to you by now.
How do you plan to proceed on this?
Peace,
James
Tonith (1136 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-22)
Isolation and imagination in a child can be a reason you were seeing these things. However, being that it still happened as you got older leads me to think you weren't imagining it. I too have seen shadow people or what I call silhouetts that are darker than the dark surrounding it. It was very unnerving as a child but I chalked it up to imagination. I saw them once at age 17 and I thought they were humans only to realize they were not. It was a very freaky experience and one that after 39 years I still remember it like it was yesterday. I wasn't asleep, I wasn't drinking or doing drugs or anything that could explain what I saw but I was the only one to see it. Sounds like you had a resident ghost that has more or less followed you through life. I don't think it means any harm but for whatever reason is attracted to your energy.
Nor_Cal_Girl (3 stories) (97 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
I agree with Joie, the next time you feel whatever it is coming around you should just tell it to go away and see what happens. It doesn't seem to be mean other than the time it made you sick... And if it is the same entity from your childhood, I think it would have harmed you by now if that was its goal.
Thanks for the story! I've always wanted to go to Ireland, by the way. 😁
bm77136 (1 stories) (17 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
I would have wanted that window fixed asap. It does make it a little scarier that it followed you to your sister's house. Have you asked her if she had any experiences when she stayed in that room?
hobbyholly (11 stories) (572 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
hmmmm

My first action would be: have someone fix the window in your new bedroom.

What do you think it is? Do you think something that was "watching" you outside is now inside? Are you the only one to reside in the house? If not has anyone else seen anything?
Joie (1 stories) (39 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-05-21)
What an amazing story. I was going to say it sounds like you had a bit of a playful spirit hanging around your house, but saying that it followed you to your sister's house is strange to me. Possibly you are a bit more sensitive than most and the spirit grew attatched to you thinking you could interact with it.

As long as it isn't too bothersome I would just suggest when you go back to the home or if you feel it's presence ask it to leave you alone. Tell it to go to the other side. Good luck and I hope things work out.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: