You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Horror In The Chilly Night

Real Ghost Stories

Horror In The Chilly Night

 

This incident dates back to my student days. Back in the day I was an engineering student in my fourth semester. We used to have our term exams in the middle of November.

It was common practice for us friends (Aakash and Ranjeet and me) to put our heads together in preparation for the exams. Pre-exams were the only times we were highly interested in learning the art of engineering. I vividly remember it was a chilly Friday evening and we had an examination on the coming Monday. On the same Friday, we had had a grueling examination and it was not easy to motivate a tired body and mind to study again.

A sumptuous meal cooked by my mother helped me cheer up and I called up my friends to plan the study session. Normally we put up at Aakash's place as he had a pretty large and well ventilated study room for himself, but at the time it was being renovated and was fraught with construction materials and dirt. Irfan and Hrishi lived 5 km out from where I live. Suddenly it struck me that my aunt was on her yearly vacation and her place was empty. She had left the keys with my mom. I grabbed hold of the keys and informed my friends to meet me there.

We started our studies at about 8 pm and gradually to my surprise we picked up our tempo and covered quite a few topics related to the subject. There was a cool wind blowing and the sky was absolutely starless. At about 10 pm we took a tea break. The nice hot tea in the chilly weather pepped us up and we willed ourselves to study a bit longer. Then came a point in time where we could not read an alphabet and our fingers repelled at the touch of our calculator buttons. We knew it was time to call it a day. When I looked up the antique clock it was 2 am! It was a bit too late in comparison to our normal ways!

Everybody packed up and I locked the door behind me. We all had our motorbikes ready for us in the parking. We bade each other good knight and also planned our next session for Sunday.

I hit the ignition of my bike, the engine roared and we all drove along the common 200-250m road and then they separated along a right turn and I took the left turn in the direction of my home. The distance between my aunt's place and my home is about 1.5 km. In between there is a slum which stretches for about a km. Normally late in the night too there is a bit of commotion in the slum and I hardly ever felt any fear traversing the road even late in the night. But on that day there was an eerie silence in the place as if something had happened and everybody has disappeared.

Just before I entered the slum area, my engine stopped and my bike came to a halt. Before this moment I felt absolutely nothing but as the bike stopped, the eerie silence and the cold biting wind made me highly uncomfortable. I cursed myself for having not brought the bike to the mechanic for regular service. I pulled on the stand of my bike and squatted down to see what the problem was. In the squatted position the complete view of the slum area was obstructed by the bike.

I found nothing untoward in the spark plug and carburetor area and thus didn't knew what to do. Just as I lifted my head up, through the gap between the vehicle body and engine I saw a lady clad in a white saree. She was about 100 m away from me. This really gave me the blues as she appeared out of thin air! In the next moment I raised my head completely up above the seat and got a complete view of her. She had extremely long hair and all of them were white. She didn't look old for all the white hair she had. Her facial features were not visible from 100 m out. I was really beginning to lose myself after seeing this. When she saw me raising my head from the other side of the bike, she started waving her fingers towards her as if she was calling me towards her. Now, I didn't really know what to do and I was sweating profusely in the chilly winter night.

Looking at her in that chilly night was really frightening so I looked up again at the bike and found that petrol-supply valve was in the on-position and the bike fuel tank was in reserve. I switched the valve onto reserve and hit the ignition button. The engine came to life, that was the sweetest engine sound I have ever heard in my life. I glimpsed at the woman from the corner of my left eye. She was still standing there waving her fingers towards herself in a curling motion. I hit the accelerator pedal and drove the bike all the way to my place, all the while in the first gear.

I was so flabbergasted that I forgot even to change the gears of my transmission. I rushed home and immediately hit the bed. I tried to think about something else but couldn't. I wouldn't even look out of my bedroom window as I feared the white haired lady would be there! In the night, I got a slight temperature and could sleep only at 6 am in the morning.

Next day I narrated the event to my family members. They thought I just got terrified of an old woman who was out to take a midnight walk! I could never buy that explanation and I think what I saw that night was definitely not a human entity.

Any explanations/comments are welcome.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Agathangelos, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

girlcatblox (16 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-08-15)
Is she a churail? Don't go near the slum. It might be cursed or something. 😕
falling_feathers (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-04)
Interesting story. I remember my mother telling me the story of 'The White Lady' from her home town of Colwick,England. If I remember correctly she haunts some kind of church or tower.
Agathangelos (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-03)
red,
Thanks for your story. It is truly nerve-wrenching and at the same time sad too 😢.Your narration was fabulous.

So whom do you plan (mischievously 😉) to take along with you in the park so that you too could experience the specter?

Cheers
Aga
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
Agathangelos,

Okay, so here the story goes (since you asked 😁):

According to Grandma Cora, and local legends, in the early 1800's, this "White Lady" and her daughter lived on the land where the Durand Eastman Park is today. One day, the daughter disappeared, and the mother, convinced her daughter had been raped and murdered by a local farmer, searched high and low through the marshy property day after day, night after night, trying to discover her daughter's body. While hunting, she brought her two German shepherd dogs for aid. According to Grandma Cora, the White Lady never found her daughter, and the daughter was in fact never heard from again. In all of her grief, having utterly given up, the distraught mother threw herself off of a cliff at the edge of the property and into Lake Ontario, where she drowned. Her dogs bore witness to this suicide, and remained roaming the lands, pining away for their mistress. They too soon passed. Shortly after the Mother's death, people reported seeing a woman clad in white throughout the area. Today, people continue to say that, especially on foggy nights, the White Lady rises with her two dogs in search of her missing daughters' body through the now public park. This specter is, by all accounts, unfriendly, in particular to men. Reports circulate every now and again of men foolishly staying in the park after sunset, only to be accosted and chased away by the spirit of the White Lady. I myself have never felt anything in the park - then again, I've never mischeviously brought an unsuspecting male with me.

Hmmm... Ideas... 😉

Love and light!
Red
Agathangelos (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
Hey geetha50,
Thanks for your comments. During those days my parents were hell bent on having me home even if it is very late in the night, so I didn't have an option.

Morever I have traversed that road at about the same time in the night before but nothing had happened.
Yes but in retrospect, staying back would have been better!
Agathangelos (1 stories) (6 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
hey red,
Your sweet comments are really appreciated and thanks for reading my story. As sds said it could be a Mohini. Mohini is a woman manifestation of a she-demon who lures young men and then eventually gets the better of them. Yes you are right with the "white" appearance. There are a million stories in our folklore that refer to ghostly women clad in white sarees. I didn't believe it until I saw one myself! I guess that's because in India the colour white is associated with death. For instance when visiting a funeral, most of the people would prefer to wear white!

My investigation results are published in my previous comment.

Would be really interesting to hear out your grandma's story of the lady in white...

Cheers
Aga. 😁
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
It's most likely a Mohini. I think you should dig deeper if you want to find out what happened. Different areas have different stories and their own history.

Got a question that isn't related to your ghost. If you and your friends had stayed up so late studying at your aunt's place, then why couldn't you and your friends just stayed the night and left in the morning? Wouldn't it have been easier and less scary?
reddysteady (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
Agathangelos, what an enthralling tale! A truly enjoyable read. I've found one very common supernatural thread across many cultures is this "White Lady" phenomena. My Grandmother told me a tale when I was a little girl about the White Lady in Durand Eastman Park, a short distance from my hometown in Western NY, and I have heard several other first-hand accounts much to the effect - None as fantastic and detailed as yours, however! I have no suggestions for what/who this entity was, but offer mere commiseration that it seems to be a wide phenomena across the globe. Have you ever researched myths or legends from that area of India? Thank you for sharing!

Love and light,
Red 😆
Agathangelos (1 stories) (6 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
hi sds,
Thanks for your comments.
After some days had passed and I was done with my exams I asked a housemaid who lived in the same slum area. She or any of her accquaintainces did not know about any lady with white hair who enjoys a walk late in the night. This rules out a person who is sleep walking.
But she said some people have seen a lady at unearthly hours roaming the streets and signalling people towards her and nobody had the courage to get near to her. This occurence was especially associated with no-moon nights.
She said that I was lucky I didn't get close to her.
From that day onwards I avoided that road during late nights and did not ever see that lady again.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-08-02)
Well, Agathangelos, if you think that it was not a human entity, the possibilities are more that it could have been a Mohini. But with a single incident, we cannot confirm it. If you happen to investigate the matter, with the residents of slum area, perhaps it would throw more light on the entity. I said it is Mohini because you are sure that it was not a human form. If you still happen to live in the same house, then you can ask the slum dwellers about any incident of Mohini sighting dating back to your experience days. If possible, investigate and tell us, if there is any further information. Because I feel with only one incident, it would be difficult to assert for sure that the incident was paranormal or not unless there is something extraordinary about it.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: