You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Road To Nowhere

Real Ghost Stories

The Road To Nowhere

 

There is a national landmark about half an hour from my home called The Road to Nowhere. A little history so you know why I think this stuff happened to me. The road was started in 1945 out in Bryson City, NC. The road would've gone directly through a burial mound, so the Cherokee Chief along with the residents of the reservation had construction stopped. The road stops about a quarter-mile past the tunnel. I've got a little bit of Cherokee ancestry as well.

One day in mid June, around three or four in the afternoon, two friends (Pam and Mary) and I went up there to see what all of the fuss was about. We ended up going back a couple of times, but this story is about what happened to me the first time. We started the walk to the tunnel from the parking area; it's about a sixth-tenths of a mile. About halfway to the tunnel, my chest started to tighten up and it was difficult to breathe. I am an asthmatic, but my chest has never tightened before, only my bronchial tubes. The closer we got to the tunnel, the more uneasy I felt. We got about three yards into the tunnel when there was no light visible inside the tunnel, no animal sounds, nothing but the scuffing of our flip-flops and our nervous chattering and breathing. We started taking pictures of the graffiti on the walls and caught orbs in our pictures, as well as some really freaky things on the walls. We kept walking down the path and I looked straight ahead at the opposite end of the tunnel. I saw two robed figures beckoning to me. I asked my friends if they had seen them, and they both said no. I prayed to God for protection, and asked my ancestors to protect us. It felt like it took an eternity to walk through the tunnel, it only took us about ten minutes to get to the other side. It only took us that long because we were stopping to take pictures of the graffiti on the walls.

When we stepped out of the tunnel, it was like we had stepped into another world on the opposite end of the tunnel. There was more light, the air was fresher, the animals were more active. It was so different on the unfinished side of the tunnel. It was like it hadn't even been raining at all that day. We walked up to the end of the pavement and found an old campfire pit. In the campfire pit, we found a cell phone. It was smashed to pieces and had been incinerated. After we got done seeing the sights, we turned around and went back towards the tunnel, the only thing between us and the car.

We went back into the tunnel and as before, we were plunged into darkness almost immediately. We tried to take pictures of our surroundings this time, but our cameras and phones started to malfunction. Our flashlight, which had worked rather well at the other end of the tunnel sputtered out and died. I closed my eyes and clung to my friend as we walked forward because I could feel things around me, unhappy things. At one point I heard a man whispering, "Heather, open your eyes," and whispering just "Heather." I didn't open my eyes until we had made it to the end of the tunnel and I could see light through my eyelids. Again, my friends didn't hear anything at all.

We were standing about a third of a mile from the tunnel looking at the pictures on our electrical equipment, which by the way was working perfectly again, when I saw some people up in the woods, it looked like they were dressed in buckskins. I yelled up, "Hello!" at them and the child waved at me and I heard a giggle as the people walked off. I was quite chilled, as my friends didn't see the people, and they didn't hear the giggle. We went back to the car, and my friends seemed angry with me for seeing things with my own two eyes when they had to see them through a camera, or for hearing things when they couldn't.

We go back every now and then, in the daytime and at night, but they still don't see anything. I haven't seen the robed figures since then, and I hope that I don't see them again. Those were the scariest part of the trip for me...well, that and something seemed to know my name. Maybe my ancestors protected me after all. I know God was there with me as well.

Other hauntings by gummybearlover85

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from North Carolina

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, gummybearlover85, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Ramzey (9 stories) (130 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-28)
gummybear, thank you for sharing your story. I'm glad you still go back to seek into it's unknown. My friend Traci lives in cullowhee, nc and we will be going there in april of this year to investigate this area. We live in boone, nc. But she can't remember how to get to this road to nowhere. I've never been. Would you mind to help us with directions? Just so you know, we are serious in what we do, as in investigating. Our group is called L.I.G.H.T.S. (Living in God Helping Tattered Souls). Thank you!
dark_lights_paradise23 (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-09-15)
wow I'm glad I'm not the only person who has experienced negative entities here. About a year and a half ago I went during the day in broad daylight with a close guy friend and 2 girl friends. We got out of the car and it was march 2009 so it was still cold. As I approached the tunnel I felt a extreme cold chill no wind and I felt hands on my sides pushing me toward the tunnel. There was no one around me they were all a ways behind me. The hands were light on my sides and I felt he was a dark male entity with a long gray beard possibly I think he worked on the tunnel maybe. I channeled my aunts spirit to protect me and once the hands I could feel were gone I fainted just inside the tunnel. I explained to my friends I was alright once I came too. I walked halfway through the tunnel and I sensed immediate sadness like a womans spirit she was crying for her lost child even though I don't have kids I could sense it. There is a cemetary somewhere at the end of the tunnel somewhere so I assumed it might have been some woman buried there. I am terrified of that place to this day I refuse to fo there day or night and my husband thinks I'm crazy because he has never felt anything there but I think its because he isn't sensitive to it and hes very strong. But I feel and see spirits many places so go figure.
Grolarg (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-26)
I have been here and haven't found much but I did an EVP recording and at the end of it there is a voice saying "Help me."
gummybearlover85 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-07-06)
How do I post a picture on here? I can't get to the ones with the orbs because those two friends are angry at me, but I do have some of the creepy graffiti.
gummybearlover85 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-26)
I will try to post them when I get them. I'll have to figure out how to do that... 😁
gummybearlover85 (2 stories) (6 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-25)
I have some pics on my friend's camera with orbs and such, but she's currently at the beach... Go figure. I'll get them from her when she gets back.

I'm a bit too curious for my own good 😁 so it was freaky to go back again, but nothing quite like that has happened again. I wonder if our larger group the second time 'round had anything to do with it. I am happy I didn't open my eyes though, I never listen when something knows my name, that just freaks me out.

Thanks for reading it! It freaks me out less getting it out there, you know?
Jasmin314 (13 stories) (210 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-25)
Do you have any pics? SOme people mught say they cannot give you credit unless you show us the pics! JK I just really want to see them. ❤ Jasmin
ginko (1 stories) (38 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-24)
Great Great Great... I like your adventure 😊 story I mean... Thanks for sharing it...
AuroraRosa (2 stories) (55 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-24)
wow that's really freaky! I'm not sure I would have been able to go back, that was brave.
Do you think it's possible that you were seeing your ancestors?
There are also other possibilities, like you're a sensitive, but I just thought I'd bring that last one up because you said that toward the end those people waved and someone giggled, and if the spirits were mean why would they have done that?
I wonder waht would have happeend if you had opened your eyes. Probably nothing good. Nice name, by the way. 😁
Elmer123 (5 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-06-24)
Wow, I can't believe you went back there again, I can understand that your friends might have because they didn't see the things, but you? I wouldn't have. But you are right, god was there with you. And if you didn't pray you coulldve got really hurt.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: