You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Harmless North Louisiana Ghost?

Real Ghost Stories

Harmless North Louisiana Ghost?

 

Compared to some of the accounts I have read on this site, I am sure my story will sound tame or even boring. Yet someone may relate. When I was two years old my father purchased some land in West Monroe, La. He then purchased a home, which was moved to the land, where I lived until my 20s. I now reside in Florida. Though I still experience things today, the most puzzling things occurred in Louisiana.

My parents divorced when I was 7. My father left and we stayed. My middle brother and I shared a room, while my mother was across the hall. Down the hall, across from the bathroom was my oldest brother's room. When my oldest brother went away to college, my middle brother went to stay with my father. One night, as I tried to go to sleep, I heard the light in my brothers vacant room turn on. Being that I was just a kid, my mind was running and the more it did, the more scared I became. I went quickly to my mother's room and told her what I heard. She sat up and turned on the lamp near her bed and said, "I hear it sometimes when you go to visit your father. It use to scare me, but I am use to it now." Knowing that nobody else was in the house, because I checked, I went back to bed and soon forgot about it. Though this occurrence continued through the years, nothing else seemed wrong.

After I got a little older I chose to move into the bigger room that my brother had occupied, where the light was heard to turn on. Shortly after, as I tried to sleep one night I heard the bathroom light turn on. Knowing my mother's room had its own bathroom, curiously I looked to see. The light would have shown under the door, yet there was no light. Strangely enough, the bathroom light could be heard turning on and off through the next few years, yet every time you could see under the door that there was no light emitting from the bathroom. On a visit home, my brother told me he had heard it during the day when he was in the hall, on a day he had been alone in the house.

Being that I was older now, none of this scared me until a new happening one night. I had turned off the television in my room and was lying along the side of my waterbed, trying to sleep. After just a moment, I heard the sound of shuffling feet beside that side of the bed. From the sound, I could tell that whatever it was, it was heavy. Not being able to see in the dark and thinking someone was in my room, I jumped to my feet and ran to the light and turned it on. I did so only to find that no one was in the room with me. I know because I searched the closet.

From all of this, you would figure that I believe in "ghosts", per say. I am not sure what I believe made those sounds. But, whatever it was, it was real. My whole family experienced it and talks about it now, remembering from time to time little things. My mother has since sold the home.

Where I live now in Florida, my experiences have grown to include closing doors, footsteps, movement out of the corner of my eyes, and voices in my home that don't happen to belong to me or my wife. And since one is a child's voice and we have no children, it can be unsettling. Though many people would love to see an apparition or have contact with an entity, I for one do not wish to do so... At least, not in my own home.

I will try to post the Florida experiences later on, but if anything more arises in the future, I will surely post it.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, bayouboy, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

naveen9885 (25 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-06)
In the first incident I believe it was happened coming to your florida I think it may be a imagination. Guys I always suggest you people to use spy cams its a best thing to get the proofs. It helps to get out of your fears. If you are sure and if you believe what you said it won't end even you change to other places approach a ghost hunter as early as possible before you get hurt.
bayouboy (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-05)
Thanks, mrdeagle, but the cool thing about it was that the light switch for the bathroom sounded totally different from the one in my brother's room. The bathroom switch was outside of the bathroom in a panel that had other switches for the heater and vent. It was quite older than the other switches in the house, so it sounded more like a breaker being thrown.
mrdeagle (6 stories) (69 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-05)
This is just a suggestion, but I have heard the sounds of lights turning on and off in my parents' house too. For awhile it freaked me out but once I was feeling particularly bold and decided to check it out. I had grown increasingly skeptical about the light switch sounds because lights never turned on when I heard them, sort of like what you said. One night I heard a loud *click* in the hall bathroom and went to see what it was. When I entered the bathroom the lights were still out. I put my hands on my hips and stood in the bathroom sleepily for a few moments, and just as I was turning to go back to bed the sound happened again, in the room! I found out that the furnace in the house turned on (and off) with a click that exactly resembled a light switch noise. It came out of various rooms with heating vents in the floor.
Just a suggestion though. Doesn't explain your other experiences! Good story, thanks for sharing.
bayouboy (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
When I have more time I will post the occurance my wife and I had here in Florida with the closing door. The house that it happened in seemed quite active.
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
I had many experiences with the paranormal when I was growing up, also. My family lived in an old house & I lived there with them for the first 10 years of my life. We moved after that. I heard disembodied voices, footsteps late at night when we were all in bed, doors closing, etc. I was so glad when we moved! There was no activity in our new home.
bayouboy (guest)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
Jennifer40 and vulcan10, thanks for telling me your personal accounts. It's cool to know that someone has the same experience. Not just because I can say, "See, I'm not crazy!", but because it's something you share with someone who understands. Oh, and the little girl at the sliding door would have totally creeped me out.
Jennifer40 (20 stories) (202 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
Scary stuff! I used to live in an old apartment back east (I have it documented here) and whatever was haunting the place would imitate other sounds in the house. I would hear the screen door open only to find it not out of place. I'd also hear the light switch click on and a whole myriad of other things including the phone ringing in one room of the apartment and not the others. The caller ID didn't pick up an incoming call either.

Thanks for sharing,
Jennifer ❤
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-02)
I experienced things too in the home I grew up in very similar to yours. We had shag carpet and I clearly heard footsteps like someone shuffling their feet (intentionally for my benefit) quite often. While in the den I usually sat in a certain chair and on the couch beside me I could hear some one sat and then an audible loud sigh, like someone just coming home from a long day at work dog tired. Our home was relatively new and only had one family live there before us and only for a few years, my next door neighbors had watched the house being built and said to their knowledge there had not been a home there previous to ours. No one had died there. As far as we knew the family was living happily in another state, the father having gotten another job somewhere else. I give that info to show that I had no reason to believe the house to be haunted, but still, there was something going on. I only saw a something (I don't want to label it because I don't know precisely what "it" was, although I know what it resembled), once inside the home. That I recall at this time. I had came home from, where I don't remember now, I was about 14. It was not really late but everyone else was in bed. No make that 15-ish, I think, anywho, I laid down on the living room floor and turned on the radio real quietly so not to wake anyone up and laid my head on my hands listening to a song which at the time was one of my favorites. I had only listened to maybe 20 seconds of it when I heard the familier foot shuffle across the carpet. At first I thought it was my sister and expected her to kick me and tell me to "get up punk", but then I realized I hadn't heard her door nob which made a recognizable noise when you turned it, nor was it my mom or stepdad. The steps went passed me to stop in front of the back glass sliding doors where we had the shade things (don't know what they're called) but the moonlight was bright that night and shone through them really well. I could feel someone staring at me so I slowly looked up. There was clearly a young girl of about 8 standing there just looking at me. I could clearly see her from the moonlight, not an outline or see through image. It was a girl. Sandy blond hair, in a nightgown with flowers or something similar on it, barefoot. She didn't scare me, I was actually fascinated because I knew she wasn't what she appeared to be. I must have stared her up and down for about 30 seconds at least, looked toward the bedroom doors down the hall and back and she was gone. The experiences at my home I look back on now as being just part of home and nothing more. I feel more gratified about it all, like I got a ticket to a matinee that few are privy to. Sorry this was so long.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: