You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The House On North Street 2

Real Ghost Stories

The House On North Street 2

 

This continues the story I started regarding a haunted house in my family which was titled "The House on North Street". If you'd like to get the whole story and haven't read that first installment yet, you may want to before reading this 2nd part, it'll definitely make more sense!

Most of this time I remained unaware of what had happened at that house. My parents would take us over a lot when we were younger to play as it seemed to be a popular family hang out when so many people were staying there. This was in the early to mid 80's. I did spend the night more than once and I know my brother and cousin and I slept on the fold out couch in the big living room the night before we went to Arizona to vacation. I didn't even start hearing the stories about the place until my aunt and uncle got ready to move and were going to rent the place out. I do remember the bathroom gave me the creeps, as when I was at the toilet, I always felt watched, from the area of the bathtub but there was never anyone there?

One time my brother and I had been asked by my aunt and uncle to watch their dogs while they were on vacation. As we approached the house I felt like we were being watched from the window of the upstairs bedroom, the one without electricity. We only found the dog up there laying on the bed in that room. This was before I knew it was haunted. We found one of the dogs had gotten off his chain, so while my brother was out looking for him, I remained behind in the living room. I felt watched from the area of the kitchen and kept turning around. Then as I was watching TV, I felt a brush of air behind me, like someone walking at my back going toward the stairs. I shrugged it off as my imagination but found out later this was a common experience for others.

My brother told me years later that the night we camped out in the living room, that he was awoken to the feeling of someone shaking the bed. He opened his eyes to a rather stern looking man standing at the end of the bed. He was wearing a white shirt and brown slacks and he straightened up when my brother saw him and turned around and walked into the kitchen. There was some light from the light over the kitchen sink. He whispered to my cousin asking him if he was seeing this. My cousin calmly replied, oh that happens all the time, like it was a common occurrence! I was there, but asleep sandwiched between the 2 of them. My brother watched this 'man' start to walk straight up into open air, right where the stairs used to be!

My brother told me that later that night I got up to go to the bathroom and that I ran into the infamous 'lady in the purple dress' Apparently it scared me, but I don't remember a thing. I do remember that night, but none of that.

My aunt and uncle moved out around 1990. They rented the place out and then sold it. I heard that the new owners had admitted to some strange goings on, but wouldn't elaborate.

I have been fascinated with the place ever since. I know at almost every family reunion, someone would invariably come forward with another story about the place. It seemed many of them kept it under wraps until others came forward and then the floodgates opened so to speak on the various experiences.

As far as my own experiences, they were mild, at least the ones I remember. I can't say whether what my brother said happened with me seeing a ghost or not really happened, as I do not remember it. I do know some of my memories of my time there seem to be missing, and there are other issues in my childhood dealing with anxiety starting at that same time with no real determinable cause. I can say for sure that for years my dreams were 'haunted' about that house. I would be alone in it and I would 'know' that SHE was there waiting for me. The upstairs was her domain. I know that when something traumatic happens to us, if it's bad enough, our mind can block it out. Again this is conjecture, I have no real proof, but I do think there is something to it.

I tried to search for answers. The library records held no help and even my cousin who became one of the regular contributors to the historical society couldn't find anything. I know it was built in 1895. I contacted the county historian who at the time was writing a book about unsolved murders in the area I grew up in. I figured she would be interested. She researched what she could, she informed me that the house had been owned in the early 1900's by a wealthier individual who rented it out. She came up with a list of names of women who she could trace to living there in an attempt to find out who the mysterious woman was. She found out though that they had all moved out and died in other places, she couldn't come up with anything ever having happened in that house. She surmised that in those early days, if a murder or something had taken place, it might have been covered up, as the wealthier owner certainly wouldn't want his name associated with such a scandal. The look of the woman's dress had been of the 1920's or 30's and it was harder to trace the identity of the various renters in those early years.

I even consulted a psychic who told me that a woman had drowned her children in the bath tub and if someone dug under the house they would find something. If that is in any way true, no wonder I got such a creepy feeling from that bathroom! There is a crawl space at the front of the house, that is accessible. As kids we played near there and it had kind of a weird feeling to it. In fact us kids played "Witch in the Cellar" ironically enough at that spot. The neighbors claimed their house was haunted too. The kid who lived there and someone I went to school with, claimed to see a fishing pole levitate on its own in his home.

The house has changed hands once or twice since then and had actually fallen into disrepair and been reclaimed by the bank. It's privately owned now and even though I still visit the area and drive by once in a while, I haven't actually tried to speak with anyone living there to see if they had noticed anything.

As I mentioned I stayed there a lot as kid, but never found out about the hauntings until I was a teen. While staying at my grandparents, I was privileged to listen in as they retold these old stories and their own experiences. My grandmother and great aunt would talk about it openly, though they never did admit whether they believed it or not. My grandpa would listen but would dismiss the stories as 'nonsense'. Afterwards I became fascinated and visited the actual house again once or twice just prior to my aunt and her family moving out and renting the place.

Again, it's good to get it off my chest! I welcome comments and questions!

Other hauntings by The_Lost_Voyage_11

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, The_Lost_Voyage_11, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (233 posts)
 
7 months ago (2023-08-15)
Hello again Linjahaha, so glad you enjoyed and commented on the second part of the story!

I agree about a reputable psychic and may do something like that in the future. I come across a lot of fascinating people with incredible talents, so who knows! A good psychic doesn't necessarily have to be onsite to get a read on a place. It helps a great deal of course if they have full access to a home or building but just as you noted these places give off an energy signatures and a unique vibration. It's how people can walk past a haunted house and it feels spooky, they don't have to go inside to know it. All a person has to do is tap into the home's energy and it contains a lot of information. They generally can see a photo of the place or know the location and do it like that. It's kind of how remote viewing works.

For some psychics it's easier that way, when they are onsite, they can get overwhelmed and the only escape is to leave the house. Those that tap into a haunted home from a distance can 'cut the cord' anytime. Many people do distance clearings on houses in a similar pattern and I'm sure you've heard of people doing long distance healing and Reiki sessions in a similar manner. Of course, some believe, some don't but there's a lot of evidence and information out there supporting it, and it all works in a similar fashion. People can be like radio antenna's and we can pick up frequencies from far away and close by (like walking into a room and 'knowing' people have been fighting in there recently) It's all energy!

If I had my way and I could gain possession of the house, I would have someone immediately excavate the crawlspace beneath the place as I have a strong feeling it would yield some answers.

My brother still lives in the area and has some good connections, if anything is found, he'll be one of the first to know and since he and I always have been fascinated with the house and it's history, I know he'll let me know immediately and then I can and will post an update!
Linjahaha (22 stories) (109 posts)
+2
7 months ago (2023-08-13)
I'm back Lost Voyage! I enjoyed reading Part 2 just a few minutes ago.
I tend to agree with the comments from Jubilee. If you can ever find out about the 'area' itself that may be a contributing factor.
I agree that the Lady is tied to the house itself. If you couldn't see her face that may be because she didn't 'want' to be recognized.
Or was fearful that she 'would' be recognized.
I think a really reputable psychic could help to sort things out. Of course they would have to granted access to the place to fully investigate. That is a moot question at this point.
I agree, also, that a place absorbs energies, & emotions within it's structure. That is referred to as the 'stone tape theory'.
Certain elements in the structures are capable of absorbing our outward energies, & emotions whether negative, or positive. Those energies are then 'played back' or reproduced when the atmosphere is right for it. Not unlike a tape recording. Only it's a visual recording that can be viewed by multiple witnesses that may be of a sensitive nature.
I'd be very curious to know if you 'do' learn anything else about the house. If you do, please post it here. I know I'm not the only one that would be interested in reading it!

Again, all the very best-L.J.H. 😊 😁
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (233 posts)
+2
8 months ago (2023-07-31)
Hello mighty-light, thanks for reading my stories and commenting!

Some of went on in that house I'm sure could have been residual. The incident with the man and the stairs, I feel that was more of an intelligent haunting. Yes, he did follow the original stair case up to the second floor as he did in life, but he also interacted with my brother, purposely waking him up, before he did it. He probably wanted to know who my brother was and what he was doing in what he considered his house!

That is an interesting theory about the incidents happening during the depression, if they happened as the psychic described them. It would make sense and would place the events approx a decade before my Great Aunt took possession of the house.

I know it freaked my dad out pretty bad, to see someone with no face, I probably would have responded much the same way, and I may have, if it happened, I can't recall it. Trauma can do that, to protect an individual. Some ghosts, it's thought, can hide their faces, if they don't want to be recognized, so whether she does it on purpose or because of a physical disfigurement, I can't say for sure.

You are correct too, it's possible one of the previous occupants could have returned to haunt the place after they died, if they had a particular attachment to it.

I did review the survey results from earlier in the 20th century, around the 20's at the historical society and was able to view the house design back then. It appeared pretty much as it was when my aunt had it and up through the renovations. Whoever haunts the place is familiar with the original layout, and I wonder if anything there could provide a clue. I wish I still access with my cousins, so we could compare notes and it might help us figure out some parts of the haunting, like the common areas the ghosts were seen in.

You raise some interesting points/theories that certainly add to the mystery. Rest assured if anything else comes up, I'll post it as an update. Though I no longer live in that area, my brother still does and is well connected with the community, if anything comes to light, he'll let me know.
mighty_light (2 stories) (21 posts)
+2
8 months ago (2023-07-31)
Hello again The_Lost_Voyage_11,

I just finished reading part 1 and commented before reading part 2. Of course you searched for the history. It's too bad there wasn't much record of it though. The ghosts seems to follow the path of the original staircase. Does that make it more of a residual haunting than an intelligent one?

I keep imagining the faceless woman and I don't know which would be worse and scarier, seeing her actual face or just that empty void of a face.

I understand there were no recorded deaths in that house, but is it possible that previous occupants who died elsewhere must have gone back to haunt their favorite area in that house?

If unrecorded deaths did occur, perhaps it was during the great depression? I'd imagine a mother suddenly plunged into poverty and great despair would be driven mad enough to consider drowning her children in a bath tub.
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (238 posts)
+2
8 months ago (2023-07-26)
The lost Voyage11, You never know, maybe the new owner might renovate and discover more skeletal remains. Those findings will no doubt be published in the local newspaper which will eventually be brought to your attention through your persistence to find out what happened. Please put any future findings up here, I'd love to know the outcome, for sake of the kids getting a decent burial.
Thanks again, It's been a really interesting post to read. πŸ€”
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (233 posts)
+2
8 months ago (2023-07-26)
Hello again CrimsonTopaz!

It's very possible that the hands found could be those of the children, but I could never find evidence of a murder or missing children or the identities of the ghosts. As I mentioned, I had the county historian pour through the records on the house and it's occupants and she was able to trace the whereabouts of everyone coming and going from the place, at least officially. The only question remaining is if the place was rented out officially or unofficially, that's harder to look into from that time period. Things of that nature in a small town in the early 20th century would be pretty easy to cover up, especially for individuals of any wealth or influence.

Essentially the story I was told, was she went insane, drowned the kids, killed her partner (the man on the floor) and disfigured her own face and that answers might be found if someone was to dig in the crawlspace. Believe me, if I owned the place, that's the first thing I would have done, just to put it to rest for my own curiosity's sake.

We still talk about the place at Christmas! I always keep my ears open in case anyone shares something about the house I haven't heard before. I'm glad you enjoyed the stories!
CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (238 posts)
+2
8 months ago (2023-07-26)
The lost voyage 11, now I'm in suspense not knowing if the woman did drown her kids.
Do you think the monkeys paw and mummified hand belonged to the drowned kids? What a terrible tragedy, if the tales are true.
Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed part 1 & 2 and added them both to my favorites.
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (233 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2020-11-22)
Hi Jubeele, thanks for reading and commenting on my stories. I no longer live in the area but continue to visit my parents once a year for the holidays. As a foot note to the story, a few years back I was mysteriously drawn back to the house and took some exterior digital photos of it. After I got back home I shared them with a friend who lives about an hour away. She claims to have seen the outline of a woman in one of the windows in the photos. I couldn't really make it out, but it peaked her own curiosity. She's spiritual and somewhat psychic and open to paranormal phenomenon. However within a day she contacted me a bit perturbed by some recent events. She informed me she had a dream where the 'woman', the one from the picture and apparently the ghost everyone in my story 'encountered' in some form or fashion, came after her, trying to ask for something. My friend got a terrible feeling about whatever this woman was asking from her, although she couldn't recall the actual request. She got an 'impression' from the 'woman' that the reason her face couldn't be seen because in life she had disfigured it, she apparently went insane and murdered the man that was seen lying down, possibly the same one my brother saw. He was a drunk and when passed out, she killed him. Also she told me that the reason no one could track anything down about any of this is because the woman doesn't want to be found out, she doesn't want the truth revealed. Now this can be taken with a grain of salt of course, there is no way to prove or disprove any of it. It is what she had in a psychic vision/dream but felt that the woman was dangerous/dark and wanted nothing more to do with it, it scared her bad enough that she warned me to stop looking into it as well, nothing good would come of it. She said though the woman was anchored to that old house, she could travel, and from my youth had somehow connected to me. My friend performed a protection ritual for herself and me, and then refused to speak of it anymore. I think it kind of strained the friendship. However what was really strange was that after the ritual, my dreams about the place stopped. Really strange stuff. As to the history of the area, it had been a base camp for fugitives and bandits because of the river. It had a fort at one time that had been attacked and burned, a popular resident in the 1800's had been shot and killed and the case had never been solved. Another individual had just disappeared and all kinds of stories went around about that, also in the 1800's, a body was never found. Needless to say, it's got a colorful history, not all of it bad, but since it was founded in pioneering times, it had its fair share of negative events. So as you mentioned, maybe not so much the house but the area draws negativity to it. It certainly has its fair share of paranormal events!
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2020-11-09)
Hi Lost Voyage, I've read both accounts and they remind me of my Grandma house in Cairnhill, Singapore. Grandma didn't like the family talking about the strange happenings in front of us grandchildren, so I didn't hear about the hauntings until I was in my teens either. One of my cousins, like your father, did not want to talk about his experiences at all when he got older.

The thought came to me when I read in Part 1 about the "monkey's paw" and the "mummified hand", that they could be the remains of a child. I was thinking that a stillborn, especially if it had been a home birth, might not have been reported at all in those days. Then, you mentioned in Part 2 of being told that "a woman had drowned her children in the bath tub". That was chilling. It is interesting how you never felt comfortable in the bathroom.

My mother believes that all homes have a spirit of their own, as a result of the life energies from the people living there. She said that happy households attract happy spirits, the same way unhappy vibes could be feeding even more negativity. Ever walk into a place and just know without even looking at anyone that people have been fighting there? Maybe that house on North Street absorbed the memories, emotions and energies from many lives over the years, and once in a while, your family, and those who were sensitive enough, got a taste of the 'overflow'.

It could be significant that the neighbours claimed that their house was haunted as well. You could speak to them, or whoever lives there now, about their experiences and see if there are any similarities. This makes me wonder if there was a past event that resonated throughout the area. Perhaps widen your search on the whole locale, and not just the house? Search for accidents and illnesses too, as they could result in untimely deaths. Did anything happen there during times of war? What was the history of the land before the house was built? Who knows, maybe someday you might come across a pertinent clue.

Thanks for sharing your family's experiences with us.
dido (5 stories) (20 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-10-08)
Fascinating story and also hearing about the lady who drowned her kids... If that was the case - would the lady ghost be more sad or angry... And would there be children ghosts as well?

Maybe one day when you drive by again you could stop and enquire? Although I don't think everyone gets excited when questioned about paranormal activity:)
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (233 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-09-17)
Hi DarriuxDarkk, that's a fascinating thought and it echoes my thoughts exactly. I think they interact with the house just the way they remember it. Maybe like you said, the house actually exists as it did before on another plane. Maybe just inches away from our time echoing a completely different vibration. Some have theorized that's what happens when people 'see' civil war battles, as if it's playing out in another plane/time. Time and space may not exist for us either the way we've come to believe in it! Curious for sure! Thanks for sharing your comments on my story!
DarriuxDarkk (6 stories) (79 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-14)
First of all I love reading your story. You guys mentioned about the male ghost interacting with where the stairs have been before like a residual haunting. It fascinates me with the idea that ghosts does not follow the concept of time and space. It is as if they are still interacting the old structure of the house on how they remember it.

I believe that they are on what we call spiritual dimension which embodies the original construct of the old house as they remember it. I bet if one can astral project to the spirit world, a house or a certain place would be totally different but somehow oddly familiar, if you know what I mean.

Thank you for sharing your story. God bless.
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (233 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-09-12)
Hello ScoobieGang and thanks for commenting. I believe a haunting can be confusing period, it's outside what is considered 'rational' which is why so many people deny it happens, even while it's happening to them. Yes some things in this family home seemed residual, like the cleaning. Much of it though was intelligent. Even the incident you recalled about the stairs, remember this man made an effort to wake my brother up. I've read many stories where many ghosts seem to walk higher than the floor or through walls and then come to find out later, the floor was actually higher in the past or a doorway was at that place in the wall. The ghosts seems to 'interact' with the house the way they remember it, as in the case of the stairs. They are not bound by time and space, though ironically since they try to live their lives as they remember them, they seem to be living in the past. As matrix899 mentioned, houses seem to capture memories and emotions and replay them, but ghosts can also be there if they choose to stay behind for some reason rather than move on after their death. Maybe that man was showing he preferred the stairs where they once were? There are many more stories on here you'll find as well that seems to hold residual & intelligent hauntings in synchronicity. What I mentioned above is the best explanation I can come up with as to why, hope it helps, but I know from all I've read it happens a lot.
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (233 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-12)
Thanks LightMight for commenting! Yes it's interesting how much someone could have gotten away with in those days, no real science to help police find the perpetrators and money had a way of talking. It still does now, but things cannot be so easily hidden, especially with the internet. Back then, especially in small towns I believe things were more easily hushed up, maybe a few things travelled to some of the surrounding villages but that was about it. Although interesting, it is maddening too as I would have loved to have solved that mystery!
The_Lost_Voyage_11 (7 stories) (233 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-12)
Hello matrix899 and thanks for commenting. It does make me wonder how all of this seems more intense at night. I mused on this in another comment I made about how our natural fears seem greater at night and since some of these entities feed off that fear and use the energy to manifest, maybe that's why it's heavier at night, more pronounced and more often than not more sightings take place at night! From what you described about your family keeping to the lower level of the home and abruptly leaving, they must have felt that heavy energy as well. Some people feel it but in no way can they rationally explain it. It's kind of like anxiety and most people want to get away from that feeling! Of course with everything going on in the world now, escaping anxiety isn't as easy as abandoning a 'haunted' house! I agree with you that a house can probably absorb emotions, especially intense ones and can retain 'residual' memories of certain events. Any ghosts or entities left behind probably only fuel this 'collective' memory, kind of like keeping it alive in another space that is parallel to the present time/space of the same home!
ScoobieGang (4 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-10)
I'm confused by the mixed 'types' of hauntings you're reporting. On the one hand, the haunting seems to be intelligent in that the spirits interact with the living, e.g. The way the straighten up and turn away when seen or when the man would move from room to room and lie down again. On the other hand, the hauntings also seem to be residual, like when the man went up the stairs that weren't there anymore. I always thought they were one or the other.
LightMight (4 stories) (137 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-09-08)
I enjoyed reading the first 'House on North Street' so much, that I had to come back for part 2!

What I found most compelling about your story was the fact that two different remains (hands) were found during remodeling/demolition work in that home, by different relatives of yours. I completely agree that a murder could've quite easily been covered up back in the 1800's and early last century. Back in the early 1900's, forensic crime investigation in America was in its infancy. Fingerprint identification, photographs, and trace evidence weren't widely used during that time to solve most crimes. Missing persons cases weren't skillfully investigated. Can you imagine how easy it would've been for someone to cover up a murder back in those days? 😲 Maybe it was the wealthy homeowner who committed the crime, and used his property to cover it up with?

Thank you for sharing another terrific story about your family home!
LightMight
BojanTheGoTFan84 (1 stories) (6 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-07)
Creepy, yet interesting, the 2nd part of your story surely does not lack suspense as well...
matrix899 (1 stories) (66 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-09-06)
Hello Lost Voyage,

Thanks for posting your story, it made me remember the house I occupied briefly (three weeks) with my ex-wife and her parents. After our house burned down due to an unfortunate accident, we got this house to rent and moved in.

This was about 40 years ago, but I remember this house clearly, because it was the strangest house I have ever lived in. This was a two level house, and there was a very heavy feeling throughout the 2nd level of the house. The "heavy feeling" felt like an "unseen presence", and the feeling got worse at the top of the stairs leading down to the first level; the same feeling was evident in the shower.

It was actually a frightening experience for me to go into the shower at night, so I only showered during daylight hours, but the "heavy feeling' was still evident during the day. One day I opened all the windows in the hope that this would make the house feel better. But it did not work.

This house was rented by my father-in-law after his house burned as mentioned, and he abandoned the rental after three weeks without explaining why; but I noticed that they spent all the daylight hours in the lower level and went upstairs only at night to sleep.

At the time I had not given any thought to the paranormal, and did not understand why this house felt the way it did; but after thinking about it over the years, I now think that something awful probably happened in that house on the second level. I guess houses can retain memories or impressions of events that occur within its walls.

Again, thanks for sharing the stories about the house on North Street.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: