You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Old Man Jack

Real Ghost Stories

Old Man Jack

 

As I had previously promised, this is another of my strange experiences. I was about 13 years old at the time. Earlier on that morning, an elderly gentlemen, Jack, who lived in the house situated behind ours, had passed on as a result of a long illness. He was a kindly old man and the children around were always visiting him. That evening, my brother and I had rented a video. We also telephoned and invited our friend Owen, who often came over. The arrangement was to begin watching the movie at eight. It was already 20 minutes past 8'o clock, and Owen had still not arrived. Almost an hour later, he came strolling in through our back door, apologizing for being late. Owen explained that he had taken the short route to get to us, by jumping the fence in Old man Jacks yard.

As the old man was sitting outside on a little wooden chair beneath the tree, he had to stop and chat for a while. The old man told him that he would be leaving very soon, and that we would no longer see him. He also asked Owen to convey his best wishes to all the kids in the neighborhood, who visited him. Thereafter it was general talk. Poor Owen had no idea, that the he had just had a conversation with the spirit of a man who had died earlier that day.

That night after hearing the truth, our dear friend refused to go home, and spent the night at our place. He visited us often, but never at night again. The burial was held a few days later, and there has never been any more appearances from Old man Jack.

Other hauntings by Shaun

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Shaun, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

optimisticbabe (6 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-05-21)
If I was you're friend; that would scare the crap out of me 😜 😜. Nice story.
querida (13 posts)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-03)
oooh, that is so sweet.
Where do you live in South africa?
I've heard of a lot of people who have had that same thing happen to them before.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-09-18)
What a wonderful story. I find it heart warming that he was able to say good bye to all the children and let them know he would be alright. I am certain your friend was frightened, but he shouldn't be, it truly was a blessing and an honor to have this visit.

God Bless!
BaD (4 stories) (54 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-12)
Thats sweet that he talked to him. Bet it made the old man happy... I think I would have went back to see if I could have just one more chat with him, but some people are really creeped out by things like that. I can understand beeing frigtened of somthing that seemed... Like it wanted to hurt you, but he obviously felt comfertable talking to Jack, even as a spirit.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: