You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Off Season Jack Fruits

Real Ghost Stories

Off Season Jack Fruits

 

This mysterious incident happened when I was a kid. Uncle Vilbat, who lived in neighborhood, fell out of a Jack tree while climbing up to pick some fruits and was seriously injured. He passed away after few days as a result of internal bleeding and fractures.

This Jack tree was commonly called "Kos Pandura". Because the tree had several well grown branches spread out of a short stout trunk. Land on which the tree was completely fallow and bushy except some well grown big trees, moreover it was the only Jack tree there.

After few month of his tragic death, people experienced hearing the sound of "drop of Jack fruits" at dusk and dawn some days. That land was located within the immediate vicinity of our backyard, almost at the same distance, there were several houses around this piece of land.

This strange event took place without long interruptions even at times off season for Jack bearing. This puzzle aroused a feeling of fear among us, since we had the ability to understand natural events accurately like drop of fruits, walking of animals and such like, with skills we acquired at childhood. It was heard by everyone including those who were in the neighboring houses at the same time.

As I have heard, some young people had gone several times to look for whether the fruits had dropped around there or not, surprisingly there were no signs of any fruits. The other strange issue was that the incident continued for several years.

Owners of the land cleared the bushes and shrubs over the years, but the sound of dropping stretched as usual. This incident ended when the land was completely used for Rubber cultivation removing all big trees including " Kos Pandura".

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, RuwanChandra, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Anno_Domini (3 stories) (167 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-18)
Hi RuwanChandra,

I am of the opinion it could be of a more mundane origin like air in pipes, or even natural cause (e.g. The grouse a bird which makes thumping noises). Although a jackfruit is really quite large and makes a unique sound. I do love eating it that's for sure!
Jubeele (25 stories) (885 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2018-11-13)
Hi RuwanChandra, it's sad what happened to your uncle. My relatives in Malacca, West Malaysia used to have a jackfruit tree, along with a few mango trees in their garden. They wouldn't let the children play under the tree when jackfruit was in season because the falling fruit was dangerous.

Did your family have prayers, offerings or blessings done when they started hearing the sound of fruit dropping out of season? I know that has a particular sound. I think the durian tree also drops fruit at dawn and dusk too. Another large and dangerous fruit tree when in season.

I've heard of spirits being housed in trees. On my way to school, I used to hurry past this banyan tree that was over a hundred years old with a ornate spirit house in it. That tree frightened me as a child because I sensed something 'other' about it, even when I initially thought the shrine was a children's toyhouse. In SE Asia, spirit houses were made to appease spirits that could otherwise cause trouble. I always wondered what happened to the spirit if the tree was cut down. Does it fade with the tree's demise or does it mean it's now free to roam?

Just curious, was there any significance to the jack tree being called "Kos Pandura"?

Thanks for sharing your experience.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-13)
Oh 😊 I didn't mean to imply that such experiences *never* happen in the West but that the frequency of such experiences is higher in the East. Just something I have noticed is all. 😊 I wonder if it has to do with the religions that have evolved in the cultures indigenous to the respective regions - sort of a perception shaping reality type phenomenon.
RuwanChandra (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-13)
AugustaM,Haven

This seems global... I have seen some reports that say something similar to this, attachment of spirits to trees and manifestation in various ways.
RuwanChandra (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-13)
Thank you all for commenting and welcoming me to YGH...

Thank you for your kind words Rex-T!

As Rex-T has highlighted we all believed that it was a spiritual manifestation of his.

There were no any large foraging animals except bats and owls at night in my place.

This was continued for about more than five years yet none could find a reasonable rational explanation how this sound was made...
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-13)
Good call, Haven! It is such a similar situation! It's interesting that in the West, with a few exceptions (as there always are lol) we don't notice spirits nearly so frequently in trees - I have no doubt they are there just the same... Its just curious...
Haven (20 stories) (307 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2018-11-13)
Augusta -

The story is called 'Dad's Paranormal Experience'. It is about a man picking mangoes at night, then he hears the sound of mangoes falling from a nearby tree only to realize that particular tree was fruitless.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-13)
Maybe I'm losing it but I seem to recall a recent account from India involving a mango (?) tree and the mysterious sound of falling fruit when there would be no fruit to be found on the ground. Maybe I have the tree species wrong because I can't seem to turn it up in a search... But I could swear...
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-13)
Welcome RuwanChandra to YGS

My condolences on the loss of your uncle.

I'm trying to understand the link with your uncle picking the fruit and the mystery of the sound of dropping Jack fruits hitting the ground but not seen.

Knowing that these large fruits can weigh up to 50 kgs, I'm not surprised that people would hear and probably feel them hit the ground.

Unless you have large animals foraging in your tree (like a Sloth Bear) that could carry one of these fruits away, one would think that the fruit would be lying on the ground, under the tree.

Would your uncle let them drop to the ground as he picked them?

If so, do you think this phenomenon is a spiritual manifestation of your uncle?

It is also interesting that the sounds stopped after Kos Pandura was removed. It appears that your uncle's spirit may have been attached to the tree.

I hope his spirit now rests in peace.

Rex-T

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: