You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Cowboy In The House

Real Ghost Stories

Cowboy In The House

 

My husband and I had been renting a house for a few months. We had a 5 month old son at the time. One night, our baby was ill with a head cold and I was up so much that I decided to lie down on the couch in the living room instead of running up and down the stairs every time the baby woke up. It was about 4 in the morning, I remember looking at the clock and thinking I might as well stay up. As I was lying on my side on the couch I could see into the kitchen and part of the hallway that led to the stairs. Out of no-where a very tall individual in a long duster style coat and a cowboy hat began to slowly walk from the hallway to the kitchen and vanish into thin air. Before the figure vanished, it tipped its hat at me as if it were interacting with me or knew I was there. While the figure walked I could hear, very clearly, the sound of boots on hard wood floors and the rattling of what I later figured to be spurs like those that cowboys sometimes wear.

Two weeks went by and there was no more activity other than hearing footsteps like those on hardwood floors from time to time. It was at this time that the landlord was having the house re-sided and I went outside to curse out the guys installing the siding because they kept knocking my pictures and other knick-knacks off of the walls. I didn't get one word out of my mouth after I took a look at the areas of the house where the siding had not been placed. After gathering myself I asked the young man installing the siding what kind of weird siding was underneath the old siding as I had never seen anything like it. He replied, "Oh, that's not really siding, it is really old wood. This used to be an old barn and it was re-done as a house some time ago. At that moment, it dawned on me that this was why I saw the cowboy.

We moved out of that house about 5 months later and other than the footsteps I never had any other experiences in that house. Our baby however, would start staring at the hallway at random times and smile for no reason. I truly believe that we were living in the barn that the cowboy used to be a part of.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Kansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jhawker, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

chicken (29 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-30)
Huhn... Is it possible to go into more detail on what his face looked like? Like a John Wayne or something? There's a very good chance that you were hallucinating from a lack of sleep. The footsteps that you heard could've been from the same thing as well.

Or maybe you saw the ghost of a cowboy.
I'm just giving you some suggestions.
musicgrrl104 (28 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
I agree with Watersprite and _pretty_. Cowboys are such gentlemen! 😆
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
Wow... He tipped his hat to you?! Way cool. They don't make too many gentlemen like that anymore! 😉

Watersprite
char1y (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-29)
That was a very interesting story, I quite liked it. It was a nice break from all the menacing stories that I usually see. Just goes to show that no matter what plane of existence it is, there is good to balance out the bad.
_pretty_ (25 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-01-28)
Awww the baby liked him that's so cute if I were you and saw that I'd run run run

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: