You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Ghost Gnome

Real Ghost Stories

The Ghost Gnome

 

My mother and grandmother swear this story is true. I found it a bit strange but interesting.

It's the summer of 1969, and my mom is 19 years old. Before I go any further, I know what you might be thinking. My mother doesn't do any drugs. Trust me.

So, anyway, the summer of '69 and my mom is sleeping in her room, which is off the kitchen. She stayed at my grandmothers sometimes while my father served over in Vietnam. She had the window open that night and heard something outside. She sat up and continued to listen. She was about to get up and look when she saw a little man crawl through. It didn't scare her for some reason, which I thought was strange. It walked up to the foot of her bed, climbed up and sat down with his legs hanging over the edge. My mom didn't do anything; she said she just stared at him. He looked like a gnome according to her description. At least that's what I came up with. He sat there trying to get comfortable and when he was finally situated, he reached in a little bag he was carrying and pulled out a pipe. He lit it, took a couple puffs, turned and faced her.

He said that he some bad news about my father, but not to worry, he was okay. He continued on that my father was in terrible trouble and that she will hear more about it in the morning. He tapped his pipe in his hand, jumped off the bed and crawled out the window. That's when it finally sank in my mom's head, of what just happened, and she decided to call out for my grandmother. My grandmother came in turned the light on and asked her what was wrong. As my mom explained, my grandmother, not paying attention to my mother, noticed smoke lingering in the room and asked if she'd been smoking. My mom told her the story again. My grandmother didn't believe her.

The next morning, my mother got a phone call from the Army and said that my father was injured in an attack and would home in about 10 days. My grandmother believed her then.

I asked my mom why she thought it was a ghost. She said that was because she could see through him. I thought ghosts could float or whatever, why did this 'ghost gnome' have to crawl through an open window? She didn't know. Oh well, that's it. You decide. Like I said before, my mom and

Other hauntings by NineVolt

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Indiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NineVolt, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Shiann (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-09-05)
I have experienced the same thing but my gnome lives in our house and poofed into being.
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-04-06)
I swear I saw a little gnome once in my house, so I can believe your story.
yellowbelle (3 stories) (20 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-22)
wow, I find that cute, glad he didn't deliver a morbid news though
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-22)
This does sound like a faerie visitation to me! I believe wholeheartedly in faerie spirits because I have before seen them myself, though not in so much detail as your mother described, and they did not appear transparent to me, but rather quite solid. There is another similar story where someone saw an ape-like creature that would bring them wood to help build a treehouse. These types of spirits are helpful, mischievous and intuitive. People often ask them for advice and knowledge, but they generally give cryptic partial-answers. That it came to your mother and delivered her a detailed message is quite a surprise. Was your mom very attuned to her natural surroundings? Has she ever felt a particular affection toward nature? Those could be possible explanations...

Thank you for sharing your story!
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-03-21)
nunnghost: If you click on the poster's name, it will take you to their profile... There you'll see all of that person's stories...

My son-in-law has a fear of gnomes, leprchauns, etc... Which I find really amusing 😆...I'll have to ask him the next time I see him if he's had an experience similar to yours that has caused such aversion...
nunnghost (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-20)
Hey, AussieRedDog I looked for your story
"Gateway to tir na nog" I can't find it anywhere, it sounds interesting. Do you have any advice to help me find it? 😕
nunnghost (5 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-20)
I believe you Ninevolt. As crazy as that story sounds to others, I still believe you. 😉
chicken (29 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-20)
Is it possible for you to go into more detail on what the "gnome" looked like?
robertar (223 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-20)
and why/how does a ghost leave smoke.

I've heard/read a number of stories about little peoples of different sizes. My older brother claim's to have seen something bigger in the room that also talked to him. I suspect they aren't the best and have no desire to meet them.
AussieRedDog (25 stories) (82 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-19)
I believe your mum. See my story "Gateway to Tir Na Nog" and my experience with the fairy folk
koalagirl (3 stories) (111 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-19)
hi that is strange but interesting, in this world any thing is possible thanks for sharing

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: