You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Ghosts In The Cellar

Real Ghost Stories

Ghosts In The Cellar

 

My grandmother wasn't much for telling us about her personal life. About how hard her life was living in Germany during World War Two. She was strict to a point and wouldn't think twice about whacking you upside your head if you screwed up. Her accent was rough, but growing up with her we were able to make out what she meant. Which is probably the reason she hardly spoke. Anyway, my grandmother had us kids on the couch and she began to tell us about when she was a little girl and that her family had a vegetable cellar. It was under the house but you had to go outside to go into it.

My grandmothers' mother asked her to grab some potatoes from the cellar one evening before dinner. Grandma went down stairs and immediately felt a presence. She looked around and saw no one and continued to load the basket with potatoes. When she filled the basket she started to leave. She went to grab the string to turn the light off when all of a sudden a hand reached from behind her and brushed her face. Needless to say, but my grandmother didn't stick around. She dropped the basket and ran out of the cellar. She returned to the house and told her mother and father that someone was in the cellar.

Her father, my great grandfather, ran outside with a shotgun. It just snowed that afternoon but he went outside not wearing any shoes. There were no tracks in the snow other than the ones made by him or my grandmother, so he thought the intruder was still in the cellar. He searched and found nobody.

Months go by and my grandmother is still a bit hesitant about entering the cellar. So, to ease the tension, her father decided to reorganize the cellar. Clear things out, rearrange the crates and barrels. That way, you'll have a better view of the cellar when you enter.

When they moved a large bookshelf away from the wall, her father noticed that what looked like a door at one time, has now been bricked up. He never noticed it before. Since he moved into that house, 20+ years ago, that shelf has never been moved. He wanted know what was on the other side. The next day, he and a few friends went and knocked out the bricks. Sure enough, there was a room, and it smelled bad. You could even smell it outside. There was no way they could stand it and waited for the smell to air out. It took days and started creeping into the house above. During those days all kinds of weird things were happening around the house. Doors opening and closing, things being lost and reappearing out of the blue and especially the noises at night.

Enough was enough and my grandmothers father finally went to see where this smell was coming from. He entered the room with an oil lantern and found nooks that were carved out of the earth on the sides of the room about waist high with another one carved out above it. They were big enough to actually lay in. He noticed about 20 of these nooks and starting going through a pile of rags, which he thought, and saw a skull. It was, in fact, the remains of a priest. All the nooks had the remains of either a priest or a nun. Why they were there, my grandmother doesn't know, forgot, or is just keeping it to herself.

That evening, being the good Catholics that they are, they had the remains removed by the church, then had the house blessed. Nothing seemed to bother them since, not until the German army took the house away. But that's a nother story.

Other hauntings by NineVolt

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, NineVolt, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-21)
Im glad everything went back to normal after the house was blessed. Obviously something was released in to your grandmothers house once the wall was brought down. As Devious mentioned would be good to know what was on the land previously or the cellar and houses history.

Thank you for sharing.

Dan
brittanyann (1 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-20)
This was an awesome story! Really caught my attention and kept me on my toes. I don't know how I would have reacted... Probably run about screaming if I found a body in my cellar.

-Brittany
KirstyLouise (15 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-19)
oh my!
If I ever found a body in my celler I would freak!
I would be soooo scared, the smell was the dead body?...how awful!

I think that the body wasn't meant to be found seen as it was bricked up!
I think murder was comitted in that house.
Wow, creepy!

God bless<3
From,
Kirsty
xoxoxoxo
Ibelieveinghosts (6 stories) (63 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-19)
Wow! What a creepy story! Imagine going into your own cellar & finding that! I wonder why those bodies were there in the first place? Like DeviousAngel said, maybe that room was a burial chamber for a church or something. But how did it become part of the cellar? Maybe there was a church on the property at one time? You would think somebody would have moved those bodies to a cemetery after the church was torn down. I know you have no answers to these questions, I was just speculating. Very good story & thanks for sharing it! 😊
DannyBruise (9 stories) (125 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-19)
I love these kinds of historical anomalies.
I will bet that in World War II there are more hidden graves in more places than anyone can imagine.
I love this story.
I hope your Grandmother has more to tell us.
princessLotus (2 stories) (555 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-19)
Ninevolt. This story is AWEsome to say the least. Jeez, I want to know all about that house. It was kind of like that movie "Stir of Echo's" I don't know if anyone has seen that & I haven't read the other comments so I don't know if someone has already compared the two. Anyway I would love to hear more.

~~LSD~~
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
14 years ago (2010-03-18)
Ninevolt: This story is really interesting... Did the church know (or even say) why those people were there?...It would be really cool to find out more about it, like Devious said...

Good story, thanks! 😊
Aurther302 (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-18)
Woah! Thats some stuff right there. And I'm with you DeviousAngel, it must have been something like a burial chamber for a church.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-03-18)
Thank you for sharing this story with us! That room must have been some sort of burial chamber for a church or something. I wonder if there's any way to find out where it was, so you guys could do some research and find out what was on the land before your grandmother's house?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: