You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Old Brick House

Real Ghost Stories

The Old Brick House

 

I'm from South Georgia and personally I feel that the south is filled with the paranormal. This story comes from my childhood and it is an experience that I'll never forget.

When I was 12, my brother and I decided to spend the weekend at my grandmother's house. This had been the first time that we ever stayed with her and we were very excited. On the way there, my dad decided to tell us that we needed to be careful because the house was old and that strange things happened during the night. When we asked why he told us that many years ago, the house had been a funeral home owned by his great-grandfather.

Unphased, we bravely went ahead with our sleepover. There was only one bed in the house (the one that my grandparents slept in) so we had to sleep in the living room that night. At about 2:00 that night, I was awoken to a strange sound. I opened my eyes to see the chandelier swing back in forth. I thought it was the wind, but realized there were no open windows or fans going, so why was it moving? I woke my brother up and he didn't know what it was either. We had trouble sleeping the rest of the night.

The next night, around the same time, we were awoken by a strange squeaking sound. It appeared to be coming from the hallway and sounded like someone pushing a cart down it. A few minutes later we were hit with a strong smell like someone was smoking a cigar. We tried to ignore it and later it went away.

The night after that, my brother woke me up when he swore somebody sat on the couch he was sleeping on. About an hour later we heard a strange voice saying that children aren't allowed back here. We both screamed and ran into our grandparents room, where we stayed for the rest of the night.

I told myself that it was just my mind playing tricks on me and that dad just told us that story to freak us out, something that he does often. But that all changed when a few years later when I was doing a report on my family in high school that I found out that what he had said was true.

You see long ago my town was split into three communities and instead of bringing someone 30 miles into town by wagon; they had funeral homes in these areas to serve them. Turns out my great-great-grandfather owned one of them. It was also revealed that he had died there in the funeral home from an apparent heart attack.

To this day I have never spent another night in that house and I don't spend more than few hours inside it when I'm visiting my grandparents.

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, fanman_1988, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

PyroGirl (21 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-12)
Is it just me or is this de-ja-vu?
Anyways, hello fanman! This story really gave me the chill bumps, and I agree from experiance, the south IS full of the paranormal! 😊 😁
CountryGirl400 (17 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-11)
Hey fanman! I liked that story and I've had my fair share of ghostly experiences,too. That is a really freaky one, I'll tell you that much. If you ever have anymore experiences when your visiting your grandparents, let us know. I pretty sure we'll enjoy them. Your story is definately goin in my favorites! 😊
re3boxer (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-11)
Freaky,loved the story and reminds of a resturant that is down the street from where I live, it used to be a funeral home and now its a mexican eatery, imagine that
fanman_1988 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-10)
[at] Hunterfaith96: We told them over the course of our stay that something was going on. I guess that since they've lived there for years they've become accustomed to it.
zombiesarecommingforme (3 stories) (32 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-10)
Spine-Chilling. Good job ❤ It is deffinetly frightening. I wouldn't go back either.
blue_raven80 (13 stories) (338 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-10)
sounds like it really scared you since you never slept there again. LOL. Well if it used to be a funeral house then definitely a lot of history is stored in the walls of the house.

PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-10)
Thank you for your story it was chilling. Definately going into my favs. 😊
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-09)
Thank you for taking the time to share your story with us. I have not had the pleasure of visiting South Georgia except on business, but I understand the area to be very active with paranormal.

Just imagine, back in the day (as they say) persons would be layed out in living rooms and family rooms for funerals.

I have had my share or experiences, but this one would have scared the cripes out of me!

Perhaps the voice sating children arenlt allowed here was reffering to the area of the house, it may have been an office or some type of work area (I don't want to think of what kind.

God Bless!
missd (1 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-03-09)
fanman & zzsgranny: Our 100 year old home has always been the largest in a tiny town of 300. Almost every funeral, wake, wedding, and baby shower in town was held there for years. Personally we love it. Gives the house a great energy that almost makes it seem to have it's own personality.
Petersspirit (4 stories) (144 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-08)
Hello fanman_1988,

That is some very spooky stuff you've shared here! The sigar smoke sounds most familiar, we have our granddad making himself known this way sometimes...

Greetings,
Peter
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-03-07)
fanman: Your point about funerals held at area homes is spot on... My Mom lives in one such house...Generally, funerals were held at the largest home around to accomodate the the influx of family and friends of the dearly departed, for the viewing and services... Hence the name "funeral home"...

My Mom's house is haunted, (we'll never convince her though! 😆) but I really don't know for sure if that's the reason...Still, it's a creepy tid-bit that I relish 😆 ❤
HunterFaith96 (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-07)
Wow! This is a story that can make the hairs on your back stand up have you told your grandparents about what you have saw? What did they say? Hope to hear backk!
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-07)
fanman_1988,
Firstly, welcome to YGS and thank you for sharing your experience with us.
Second, I guees it's because my mother was so open the the spirit world and never held any secrets about that from us that I find it puzzling when others get sqeemish over what I would consider a benign spirit. It's your family, what's the big deal? You said your dad sometimes liked to freak you out, and I'm thinking maybe that attitude has been passed down from previous generations.
Third, I had an uncle in Northern Calif that owned a funeral home. It's a beautiful old building, and once you walk inside it's quite peaceful and relaxing. It didn't feel "spooky" at all. Maybe that's because the folks that are sent there have already passed before they ever reached his place. He'd even told us that the only people that will ever haunt his place would be him and my aunt when they passed on. Also, Uncle George was a fun guy to be around, he was always pulling tricks on us at family picnics when we were kids. At one picnic, we were getting our teams for the Tug-of-war, he brought the rope out, we got into position while he held the center. Three, two, one, GO! We all pulled at the same time against each other and all landed on our behinds! He had cut the rope down the center just enough so when we pulled, it snapped and we all went down. Funny guy. It helped that he had a good sense of humor, the nature of his work could lead a lesser person to depression I guess. I'm just saying, if you think about it, that house is haunted by family, they might be having fun with you, you never can tell. I mean, why would the chandelier be swinging if not to mess with you kids?

😊 ❤
lastinline (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-07)
Great story... I love the part where you 'screamed and ran', reminds me of being just that age. Scream and run! Pretty creepy knowing it was a funeral home. Thanks for sharing and taking me back a few decades.
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-07)
Fanman! Great story! Very scary! I must say that you are both brave to have stayed there... I would of run out in the middle of the night lol! 😨

I do wonder why the spirit said that children weren't allowed there.

Thanks for sharing!
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-07)
wow great post thanks for sharing, in a word creepy!
Liked this a lot
konkboy (1 stories) (4 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-07)
Did your grandparents not know what was going on in their house or did they just ignore it?
haunted_childhood (34 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-07)
Hi fanman!:)

I too, am from South Georgia, and I have to agree with you... This part of the world is INDEED filled with the paranormal! 😉

I really enjoyed your story... It gave me the creeps, and that's the best kind! Thanks for sharing! 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: