You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Wth Case Files 2

Real Ghost Stories

Wth Case Files 2

 

A bit of background; I live in an old Victorian house, circa 1875. Obviously, being over a century old a good many have lived and died here.

I would not go as far as to say it's haunted, but we do seem to get quite a few otherworldly visitors; random spirits passing through, the occasional relative stopping by to say 'hi'. But far and away are what I call the WTH files. Those happenings that leave you scratching your head, and feeling very perplexed as to the why and how of it. We seem to get those quite often both in my apartment and the downstairs apartment, and occasionally the basement.

WTH files, though very strange and sometimes unnerving generally are not 'story' length. But, I've taken to compiling them, because simply put, someone else might have an explanation, or, if they've had a similar experience will know it's not just them.

Not really a WTH File but an actual sighting

I was having a lie down. One of my guilty pleasures. Not sleeping, just allowing myself to drift within my own thoughts. When that tingling, as if I'd walked through a spiderweb started and the most intense feeling of being stared at engulfed me. My eyes snapped open, and squatted by my bed so that his face was even with mine, was a man! My guess is he was 25 or so years old. He wore a blue fisherman's weave sweater, and one of those 'newsboy' caps. He was Caucasian with a ruddy complexion, and blondish hair. I don't remember the color of his eyes, except they were kind, and looked a bit confused at seeing me. In a very British accent he asked me, "May I help you, Mum?" And just that quick was gone.

Except for being initially startled by him, I didn't feel threatened or anything bad. But I have wondered, if maybe on another plane of existence he was confused at finding me in HIS bed? I mean, could you imagine? There you are, say stowing stuff under your bed and as you start to get up, there's someone unknown in your bed? Not sure I would have been as polite as he was...

Now for some WTH moments:

In the kitchen

I have the usual double basin kitchen sink, and one day I found half of a tiny dress shirt button sitting on the dividing space. It's the sort one would call a collar button, but only half. I don't own any dress shirts with buttons like that, and I certainly wouldn't have left it on the sink.

Perhaps a week later, I was smelling something 'funky' in the kitchen. A kind of cloying sweet smell. I finally tracked it to the cabinet above the stove. I pulled over my stepstool and climbed up, as I can barely reach the lower shelf. Given that, I don't really keep anything in that cabinet but often used spices on the lowest shelf. On the second shelf, right in the middle, was a puddle of what I can only describe as black goo. It was sticky, and reminded me of thick molasses in texture. Only I haven't had molasses in years. Important: it was the ONLY thing on that shelf, and the shelf above that is empty. I didn't see any signs of drippage, like from the ceiling, or on the cabinet walls so not a leak or mold of some kind. Except for this black goo the unit was clean. Absolutely no idea...

The Living Room

The appearance of a hollow yellow plastic ball for cats. About Ping-Pong ball size. Just showed up one day. The fact that it moves around from room to room, I'm blaming on my cat. And before any of you think "well, there you go. Cat brought it in," Kirb is a strictly indoors cat. He's old and has no interest in even going down stairs to sit on the porch with me.

A flowery scent like Jasmine, that lasts only a moment or two.

The smell of cherry pipe tobacco. This one lasts longer - sometimes five minutes or a bit more, others just a whiff or two.

The rearranging of my books. I have a stack of 18 or so books whose covers I designed for various authors, and I keep waffling between displaying them and just shelving them. In the meantime they just sit in a stack on the end table. Every now and then, the book on top changes. Interestingly enough, books on shelves seem to be left alone.

I figure as long as I'm not feeling threatened, the random visits and oddness is okay. Just reminders there's more to life than this life.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
 
2 weeks ago (2024-04-18)
Hey, Jubeele 😊 Good 'seeing' you.
Well, a ghostie kitty is definitely a possibility. I think Simba (previous cat) stops by to say 'howdy' now and then. Then too, who knows over time how many pets have lived here? Be a zoo full, I'm sure. I see no reason why a spirit animal couldn't visit - although I'd think they'd be more drawn by familiar scent then place.
Thanks for reading!
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
 
2 weeks ago (2024-04-18)
lwgrn4real66,
How many plains of existence there are, depends on your belief, I think. I've heard everything from seven (most commonly held) to thirty-one (Buddhist). But no one really knows. Are these plains also known as timeslips, or are they completely different? Again no one knows for certain. Or as RC pointed out, on another plain of existence am I viewed as a ghost? Oh! The perplexities!
Jubeele (26 stories) (897 posts)
 
2 weeks ago (2024-04-13)
Val, you've got visitors! Your house probably has absorbed enough energy over the years to allow the occasional visitor to manifest. Plus, you've got the Sight to see them. I suspect the reason why most people are oblivious to the spirit world is probably for our collective peace of mind.

That man could have stepped through a glitch of some type. Perhaps a crack between worlds or time periods? A friend who taught quantum physics once explained to me about space-time continuum theory, in that space and time are interwoven, and time is not linear the way we usually perceive it.

The shirt button and plastic ball seem to be something that a cat might play with, and leave behind. If not Kirb, maybe another ghostie cat? Didn't you and Kirb once watched little white paws reaching up from under the table?

But no idea about the black goo. Except that it sounds quite icky. Like some ectoplasm or dark matter by-product thingy. Yep, that's a very technical term.

Sounds to me that someone is curious about the books in your place and is having a quick peek at them. Sometimes, I see a shadow flit by the corner of my eye (which could be an optical illusion) and get that prickly feeling that someone is peering over my shoulder as I type or read. Other times, I get the odd smells that tell me I have a visitor. Like smelling Estee Lauder's 'Beautiful', Miriam's favourite perfume after her passing, which I still do on occasion. Or the baby lotion scent last year, when I was knitting a jumper for one of the teddy bears.

Whatever the reason, it certainly reminds us that there's more to life than as we know it.
lwgrn4real66 (4 stories) (34 posts)
 
3 weeks ago (2024-04-11)
Yes. Alot of experiences are overlooked due to being so unexplainable. You realize even though it may have seemed so real, and then you realized it wasn't. They're easy to get blown off... At the time!
lwgrn4real66 (4 stories) (34 posts)
 
3 weeks ago (2024-04-11)
I've been told by a true Christian man once that there are three "plains" that exist. We're on one of them, and he didn't say what was on the other two "plains" but he did say he had learned through studying the Bible that those 3 "plains" shouldn't be "mixing", but they are. Don't get me lying! I don't know!
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
 
3 weeks ago (2024-04-09)
Rajine, not sure that 'grand' is how I would describe this house. More like farm or working class. Unlike what you see in the movies and on TV, not all Victorians have the large rooms, and sweeping staircases. There are a number of Victorian homes nearby. And some are very fancy, with gingerbread trim, turrets, and stained glass windows. Not to mention two sets of stairs, the more sweeping 'family' stairs at the front of the house, and the steeper, narrower servant stairs at the back - hidden from company.
I too wonder what these walls would say if they could talk. Most of them are still the original plaster and lathe, so they'd have witnessed a lot.
Rajine (14 stories) (777 posts)
 
3 weeks ago (2024-04-08)
Being a Victorian house over a century old, one can imagine how grand it must look, not to mention the amount of history it has, If only the walls could talk, I'd wonder what they would say.

Like you I also have what I call the "wtf moments" 😅
The illogical incidents could be resident spirits or passing by spirits or both, but at least they seem harmless and not menacing.
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+1
3 weeks ago (2024-04-08)
Tweed,
That's an interesting thought. I don't think pipes leave puddles of nicotine/tar, but would phantom ones? I don't know the history of these cabinets. They're rather newish. A contractor buddy of the landlord did a reno and installed these here. So, 'used' but new to me. Got some really nice counter tops too. This was 2 or 3 years ago now. But you bring up an interesting thought; could these cabinets and fixtures have brough their own spirits with them? Possible, right?
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
 
3 weeks ago (2024-04-08)
Twilight - ectoplasm, can't say I've ever heard of it actually being found. I know, back in the day it was thought to be a substance that supposedly exuded from the body of spiritualists. Here's a very short, but interesting article on it: https://www.americanhauntingsink.com/ectoplasm
I, myself, don't believe that all spirits are necessarily anchored to a particular place or item or even that they can't cross over. Although I'm sure it is the case for some. Perhaps the ones who pop up here, lived here at some point. Sure would be interesting if one that could speak would hang around long enough for a conversation.
Tweed (35 stories) (2500 posts)
+1
3 weeks ago (2024-04-08)
Val, these be some WTH moments indeed. Don't think I'd be as calm as you if I opened my eyes to a stranger, even a polite one!
The sticky weird substance I thought might be something from the pipe smoker. Maybe where someone used to stash their pipe. Kinda sucks if you have to clean up after ghosts lol.

I'm really glad you compile these moments because it just goes to show how odd paranormal happenings can be and it's the oddness that so often leads to them being dismissed.
Twilight1011 (9 stories) (320 posts)
+1
3 weeks ago (2024-04-07)
From the mystery substance, you found in your kitchen cabinet, I couldn't help but have ecto-plasam (I think that's how it's spelled 😅) cross my mind, but aside from seeing that type of thing in ghost movie's & show's, I don't know how real it is, in the real world, as to being a sign of the paranormal 😕 but I still wanted to mention. From what you said about having ghost, that just pass through your home, verses lives in your home, made me wonder if that's possibly some of our experiences in our home, that I haven't really considered before. I'm possibly believing we have a few ghost in our house, when in reality, I may have less, as the other's could just be popping in, every now and then. I can't believe I never considered that theory before 😅 Thanks for adding more to your WTH File's, as I enjoy reading your updates, about the odd activity you have around your home.
valkricry (49 stories) (3270 posts) mod
+2
3 weeks ago (2024-04-07)
No, RC, since 2020 there's been only me here. So when something is wonky, or weird and I can't contribute the cause to me or the cat... Gotta wonder.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (818 posts)
+2
3 weeks ago (2024-04-07)
Just want to be sure but you don't have any roommates other than your elderly feline companion?

Certainly weird events to make you take notice. But the fisherman makes me wonder, how many timeslips might be ghost stories from the other time period?:)

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: