You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Multiple Occurrences In Haunted Apartment

Real Ghost Stories

Multiple Occurrences In Haunted Apartment

 

This happened when I was about 14 years old. I lived in a small apartment with my younger sister (9) and my parents in NY. My sister and I shared a room. The apartment layout was in such a way that my bedroom served as a walk through to my parents bedroom.

At one end was a door that connected to the living room. At the other was the door to my parents room.

We had bunk beds which were located in the center of the room but against the wall. There were 2 windows on the opposite wall. I slept on the top bunk and my sister on the bottom.

One night, I woke up from a very heavy sleep. I had no idea what had woken me up. I knew that something must have because I felt very sleepy. I looked over at the time on the tv and it said 3:33 a.m. I was half-lying when I looked towards the window next to the living room door, the curtain was moving as if a breeze was blowing. It was the middle of a New York winter and we always kept the windows closed. Also, we had two sets of curtains on the windows. One set was heavy and dark blue (to block out street light) and the other sheer white.

I was not scared at this point, but was wondering how the wind was getting in through the window. Then, the curtains began to sway harder as if a stronger wind was moving them. I started freaking out. Then, the curtains lifted up all the way to the ceiling. They laid flat against the ceiling of my room, as if they had been glued there. I felt something was seriously wrong. I wanted to scream for my parents, who were no more than 15 feet away. But the sound would not leave my throat. I opened and closed my mouth but nothing happened. I knew I needed to get help. But I WAS NOT going to climb down and pass by THAT window.

As I tried to formulate a plan, I heard a blood curdling scream from my mom. It brought me out of my fear and energized me to run to her room. It was as if knowing that someone else was awake meant that I was safe. I ran into her room, where I found her shaking and crying. My dad was trying to console her as she was muttering something about a figure at the end of her bed. She knew nothing of what I had seen in my room, so this validated the experience for me 100%.

When I started telling them what happened with the curtain, my dad refused to believe me. He told me that there was something wrong with my window. That it must be broken and that's how the wind got in. (DON'T YOU JUST LOVE PARENTS). I knew what I saw because I had been awake before it started. And of course what my mom saw was not a coincidence.

Eventually I returned to my bed and passed out. The next morning we got a phone call that my uncle had passed.

He and my mom were close friends and BIG chickens (a la Shaggy from Scooby Doo). They bonded over their perpetual and sometimes irrational fear of the paranormal and the dead.

He was a big jokester, so that was probably his last prank, because he KNEW that my mom was going to spazz out.

Possibly unrelated to this event.

There was something way OFF about that apartment.

While we lived there strange things happened but we never put it together as being something paranormal.

For one, it was really cold in there all the time. The bedrooms were always freezing. My parents chalked that up to bad insulation because it was an older building. My father worked nights and I slept with my mom in her room (BIG CHICKEN). I remember about 6-10 times that we would hear music playing LOUDLY because the stereo in the living room had turned on. It was the kind that takes multiple CDs and we could sometimes hear and see it cycling through the various CDs before it started playing. We told my dad about it and he said that it was probably something off with the wiring.

Anyways, last week I was talking to my little sis about the stuff that happened in that apartment and how creepy it was and she looked me in the eye and said "that's why I never looked." I asked her what she meant and she said, that there was always someone walking around our room. I quickly told her that she might have been hearing people going up and down the stairs of the building. She said that she often used that excuse, and that of the upstairs neighbors walking, to go to sleep. But that sometimes it got so intense and loud that she knew there was an actual person or thing walking by in front of her bed, from one end of the room to the other. She always kept her eyes closed and the blanket over her head. Because she "didn't want to see what it was."

To hear my little sis saying this FLOORED me.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jjohnson1710, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

JessicaWishon1989 (6 stories) (57 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-28)
Crap. I agree with IsandHu. I think I'm some how going to be thinking of yours and the last post I read on here! Not a good thing to do 11:59pm. Knowing you're getting sleep and probably going to head for Bed Soon anyways... Just Crap!
jjohnson1710 (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
Isandhu,

I have spoken to my mom several times about this. She says that the figure at the end of her bed was glowing blue and yellow, vaguely in the shape of a man. As for the curtain thing, it was unforgettable. I still think about it even though it was over 10 years ago. It was so sudden, the curtains went from swaying to stuck to the ceiling. It was pretty intense. If it was my uncle, which we're not sure about, I think that maybe since he had to pass by my room the energy dispersion (?) caused the thing with the curtain. If it was the thing in the apartment, I can't help but wonder if it was trying to make me aware of its presence. I was a very heavy sleeper and never noticed the footsteps.

P.s. Aren't we ALL secretly chickens:)
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-03-27)
I'm a big chicken, like Shag-and-Scoob chicken, too, and I have a strange feeling I'm going to be thinking about your post when I go to bed tonight (and maybe keeping an eye on my curtains). Does your mom agree that the figure could have been your uncle? The curtain thing is weird, though. I get why he would appear to her, but not why he would do that to you. Maybe there were other forces at work too.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: