You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Orbs / Lights / Mists :: Weird Lights

Real Ghost Stories

Weird Lights

 

I am kind of new to this and not really sure what to think about this. About 10 years ago (I was around 14), my mom came to pick me up from a school dance and on our way home we saw something.

We lived in the country down a gravel road about 2 miles from the highway. My mom and I saw this red light and blue light shoot across the field and stop in the middle of the road. As this happened, my mom stopped the car and we watched. They were like floating right in front of us; floating up and down, like alternating. I can remember thinking this cannot be happening. They were about the size of a tennis ball. This happened for like 20 secs and then they shot off in the sky. It was really weird.

Not sure what the heck it was, but that's not the strange part in my mind. My mother had a stroke that night. Now I'm pretty sure that what we saw and what happened probably has nothing to do with it, but it was just a little strange that it happened.

Was this part of it? It was very odd and eerie. Any ideas about what I saw or what happened? All I know was this was out in the middle of nowhere and to this day I often think to myself and wonder what I saw that night. I never saw these lights again. I used to tell my friends about what I saw and they always insisted that it was made up and that I was lying, until my mom would verify what we saw.

So I guess I just wondering if anyone has a idea what this orb or light or whatever it was could have been or has anyone else experienced anything like this?

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arkansas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, chadlee2003, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Julesylou (16 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-16)
Actually, A LOT of people, myself included, believe that UFO phenomenon and paranormal phenomenon are closely related. The idea is that there is/are other dimensions within our world. And what we see i.e. Shadow people, UFOs and other "ghostly" happenings are just rips in the veil between our worlds. I also believe that death is just another realm of existence. It is what I believe, so within that context I do think those lights had something if not EVERYTHING to do with your mother's stroke. It's curious how little we know of the true workings of our universe and minds. This is just my opinion, since I have no true way of proving my beliefs.
vulcan10 (5 stories) (332 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-03-29)
does anybody know? No, definetly not. But I have heard and read many stories over last many years of people seeing mysterious lights, some may be swamp gas and some prior to earthquakes, but some will never be explained. We (us kids saw some down in south east texas at my uncles out in the boonies when I was a kid). I just excepted them as unknown and that was that. And no, highly unlikely that they had anything to do with your moms stroke, coincedences happen and quite often. I've read books on them and it amazed me how often they actually do. But yours is one of those I will put under unkown and leave it at that without trying to tack on guardian angel, spirit of dead relative, or aliens... Since I don't know what it was nor will anyone on here. Hope your moms doing well these days.
chadlee2003 (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
Well there was some bad luck after witnessing it or tragic luck
Sahee (12 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-12)
Chadlee,
I don't know yet 'bout plasma ball... But in our country its widely known as 'santelmo' or 'st. Elmo's fire'... Some says, once you see it, it will bring badluck...
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
"Quicksand's got no sense of humor, and I'm still laughing like hell"

Lou
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
[at] Pjod

Thanks for the advice. You're wrong about me trying to prove anything though. I simply do not like being expected to be like every one else mindset and all
chadlee2003 (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
[at] Pjod well thanks I always that it was something strange but I wasent sure what it could have been
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
Bbrave,
It seems to me, that you are the only one here with something to "prove"...try being a little humble, it goes a looong way- as far as getting along with others.

Chadlee,
I'm no expert on weather phenom. Sure it's possible that these things can occur naturally. Just seems to me the timing and- as you describe possible intelligent behavior... Could certainly be paranormal.
chadlee2003 (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
[at] Pjob - I remember the night well it was a clear night and the stars were out, my mom just picked me up from a valentines day dance that my school had thrown for the students, I remember that it was a cool night and and the moon was out and was bright and it was anywhere from 11pm - 12pm when it happend

[at] javelina thanks for the comment it was reasurring knowing that there are things that just can't be explained and that there are others that probably have experianced things like this before
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
[at] Lou

Actually I already have just waiting for it to be published. Also I have an entire neighborhood as witnesses since many others in it report having there own experiences.

Something you do not seem to realize ultimately I need not prove anything to you or anyone else for my experiences to be real. You see since you weren't there you can not tell me what I experienced was not real.

You see the burden of proof doesn't rest with me because I claim to have had paranormal experiences to this day. It lies with you and those who say I did not

As I have said I can offer witnesses as I have them. What do you have to prove otherwise?
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
Chadlee,
I liked your story. The behavior, not to mention timing... These "orbs" may have something to do with the stroke your mom suffered. What time of year- weather conditions that night?
It's one thing to witness something strange- but the very night a tragic incident happens, not to mention the whole "stopping in front of the vehicle" -too many coincidences for me.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
MY apologies to all. I take back everything I said.

I was just forced to take a bathroom break from commenting,...and I truly had the most unearthly encounter. I opened the bathroom door to the most horrible stench you have ever smelled in your life! And get this, there was actually water still swirling in the bowl when I looked in! Wait, it gets worse! When I sat down, you would never guess... The toilet seat was ice cold! Well, knowing that the only explanation was a ghostly force, I reached for the toilet paper and the end of the roll was torn into four strips, made by three tears... It was a demonic mocking of the Trinity! Knowing I was in immediate danger, I ran out of there, pants around ankles right into the office with my shocked co-workers...just as I was about to explain my experience... I woke up at my desk. I started to feel relief but then was thrown back into terror... Realizing that I can only dream about things that have really happened!

Shamefully persuaded into the 50 percentile,
Lou
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
Bbrave,
I would interject on your last comment, but nothing supports my argument better than allowing you to continue to talk... So please, do just that.

One minor, insignificant question... Have you ever encountered actual evidence of a haunting? If so, could you please provide it in your first story submission... Seeings how half of all unusual events can not be explained by natural causes, you must have a plethora of encounters and physical evidence to back it up. Afterall, basing all conclusions on personal experiences and encounters narrated by others without corroboration would be less than objective, wouldn't you say?

Lou
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
[at] Lou

You know nothing about me so I could very well be. Oh you still haven't been able to back up your claim.
Gee I wonder why could it be that you simply can't?

Long story short when people like you see that can't prove their claims cause the person they make a claim about is able to prove the lack of substance of said claim.

They look to anger that person hoping they then become stupid as is the case when someone is angry. Because they can't hang with the intellect of their target
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
[at] Lou

Lol until proven otherwise when dealing with the unknown the claim has to be viewed at face value! Now that doesn't mean that the event may not be due to natural causes. However until that can be proven to be the case one can't assume that it is.

It's the same as in the legal system. Just because someone might be guilty doesn't make them so! There might be natural causes to everything is that always the case no.

I acknowledge all possibilities eliminating the ones that can not explain all the happenings in any given account.

It's called exercising common sense! If you take 100 paranormal claims and investigate them half will be able to be explained by natural causes. While the other half will not be

To automatically believe everything can be explained away as due to natural causes is down right foolish.
So my approach is to make a temporary judgement with the information I'm given.
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
My apologies, chadlee.

The phenomenon you described is certainly curious and warrants serious and credible discussion. I am not an expert on all things paranormal and am very interested in hearing all theories associated with this event.

Lou
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
Bbrave,
This aint my first rodeo. My record stands... And Buster Douglas, you are not.

Lou
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
chadlee,
(I agree with Lou. Plasma balls are not paranormal)

I know how you feel. I saw something strange myself once. Out in the desert in the middle of the night. It does rock you back on your heels, doesn't it? Every time I would try to tell someone about it, I got that "look". But the thing is, you know what you saw, I know what I saw. Some things are still beyond rational explanation. I know this doesn't help much, but just knowing that you did see it is good enough for me. There are things out there beyond our comprehension, as you can see from reading the experiences posted here, and all anyone can honestly say is that "it MIGHT be this, or wait, maybe it's that." I believe you saw something.
And that's where I'm leaving it.

Thank you for sharing.

Jav
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
Bbrave,

The evidence is on my experience that you commented on... Go check out my response.

ROOK
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+3
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
BBBBBbrave,
Seriously, dude. I would say you don't have a clue... But it would be impossible for someone to willingly go onto a site and be this dense; hence the accusation. You either do not read anyone else's comments, or you hope no one reads yours... I don't know which.

The internet is a dangerous place to stake your expertise in. I have never met anyone who investigates the paranormal that doesn't try to discover natural occurrences to rule out questionable occurrences... You weakly rule out natural occurrences to validate the paranormal... Which is bass-ackwards of every scientific approach every created.

Lou
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
-2
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
[at] Lou

One other thing you don't want to play this game with me trust me.
I'll eat you alive if you are going to make such claims against me
Then I'd suggest you be able to back it up.

And not simply hope to anger me
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
-1
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
[at] Luo

What are you talking about? Getting a rise out of someone was never my intention. And secondly I never said plasma was paranormal. What I did say was it is a naturally occurring type of energy that might have been what was seen.

You seem to be the one out of the two of us trying to get a rise out of someone. Seeing how your comments always have an insulting tone.

In all honesty if I found a way to care any less about getting a rise out of someone I'd be quite shocked!

Since you claim I'm trying to get a rise out of someone please show me just what I've done to do so.
Just what do you have to back up your claim?
LouSlips (10 stories) (979 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
Holy crap my tongue hurts from biting it! Whew!

Bbrave,
Really! Plasma balls are now paranormal? Seems like they would have to put a disclaimer on them when they sell them at Walmart, if that were the case. You have spent the last three days claiming every idea anyone has posed at various O/P's as your own, concoting paranormal events where none occur, and using your own obscure sense of logic to fabricate reasoning in places only you can connect the dots. My apologies for making it so difficult for you to get a rise out of someone... What is the next paranormal falacy you will create... Bead curtains?

Lou (Oh, and you can call me Lou... We are not on a first letter basis)
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
Plasma is a type of energy and balls of it can occur naturally. It's rare but does happen and you're welcome for the help.

Though I'm not really sure I'm helping much. Also you can just call me B
chadlee2003 (1 stories) (31 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
well thanks for the help brave, I noticed you said it could have been plasma? What exactly is that? And I know it wasn't a hallucination because me and my mother both saw it.
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
-3
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
I see well I'll have to stick with there not being enough information to form a concrete determination of what kind of event you and your mother experienced.
chadlee2003 (1 stories) (31 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-11)
Thanks for the comments everyone and talking the time to read my story. (Bbrave) - Only thing I remember about the lights were the shape and size and how they were alternating moving up and down; there were not translucent but rather more solid. The color coverered the entire form and very vivid.
Bbrave (1 stories) (131 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-07-10)
Honestly I see no connection between the lights or your mother's stroke. I also have trouble believing they were paranormal in nature. You do not really give much of a description of the orbs other than color and size. Not enough information to form a concrete theory of what it was you experienced.

Could be a ufo, orbs, plasma, or a hallucination. If you want a more precise answer then try providing more information about the lights you say you and your mother saw
stephyw2001 (guest)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-10)
If it was floating right in front of them, I don't really see how its a UFO story. People claim to see orbs floating and flying off, so I can see how he thinks its of paranormal nature. I'm not sure what it was either, but it could have been due to the fact something bad was about to happen. I don't think the lights caused the stroke, but if you want to think of it as paranormal, it could have been a warning? Hopefully you won't see them again.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-07-10)
I agree with Vikstal. I'm thinking UFO rather than spirit world. I would try searching on UFO sites for experiences similar to yours. It might help you make sense of it. I hope your mom is okay.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: