You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Jebb Street Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Jebb Street Ghost

 

From April 2011 to April 2012, myself and 5 friends (all mid-twenties) shared a house in Bow, East London. My bedroom which I shared with my then boyfriend was the only bedroom at the front of the house facing the street. There was one bedroom at the back, one at the side and one downstairs. The living room, kitchen and bathroom were located downstairs.

I have had countless unexplainable experiences and wasn't surprised when I started having them in our new house. At first it was the light continuously switching on and off in my bedroom (my boyfriend moved in June 2011). It would happen about 20 - 30 times a minute to the point where I'd opt to sit in the dark rather than continuously keep switching the light back on. I didn't mention anything to my housemates at first, not wanting to freak them out. Then things started to happen when there were more people in the room to witness.

The lights in the living room started turning on and off. We asked the landlord to check the electrics, there was nothing wrong there. We tried changing light bulbs, that didn't work. Once my then boyfriend moved into my room, that's when things started getting really strange. When we wanted some alone time we'd lock our bedroom door, the door would then fly open and when you'd turn the knob (a round one) you'd find the lock was still on the door and you'd have to unlock it to shut the door again. I asked a locksmith friend to check the lock and he couldn't find anything wrong with it. We tested it a few times, we couldn't open it from the outside if it was locked but it would always fly open if we left it locked for longer than 20 minutes, it didn't matter if windows were open or closed. In the end we'd just leave the door unlocked.

Another time my housemate was brushing her teeth in the downstairs bathroom one morning when the cup that holds all the toothbrushes flew into the sink and broke into tiny pieces. The cup was on a flat shelf and there were no windows or doors open that might have caused this.

On several occasions a few of us would be sitting in the living room (my bedroom is directly above) and we'd be able to hear footsteps coming from upstairs. There was no one up there and as mentioned before, that side of the house isn't attached to any neighbours; it's at the end of the street.

The incident that scared me the most was when I was in bed alone, my ex had gone away. I was in bed and heard a really loud sigh coming from inside my room. I was too terrified to open my eyes so I just lay there for about an hour before I eventually fell asleep. The next day I phoned my boyfriend and he told me he'd heard the exact same thing 2 nights before when I had been out but didn't tell me because he hadn't wanted me to be scared while he was away. About a month before we moved out we heard tiny footsteps coming from the attic, the only way into the attic above our house is from our housemates room but she was fast asleep. They moved from one corner of the room to another, before speeding up and then disappearing completely. By the looks on each others faces, we knew we weren't imagining it.

We had a friend come to stay in our living room for a week or so. He hadn't met all of the housemates as he'd arrived late. The next morning he was sure he'd had a conversation with a man in the night. The only man in the house that night was my boyfriend who didn't fit the description and was 100% sure he hadn't had a conversation with my friend. This possibly could have been a dream but with the other occurrences that happened while we lived there, I am not so sure. My friend didn't know anything about our ghost and he was really freaked out.

We tried to find out info from the neighbours about the history of the house, it was built before the war and used to be a cobblers. Our next door neighbour had lived next door for over 30 years and said I should ask him again about the history when we had moved out. I didn't get a chance but I might go back one day soon to find out. I was intrigued he didn't want to tell us while we were living there.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, sylviabonbilvia, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

gloverman (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-01-12)
is it number 2 jebb st, bow. E3 2tl. On that spot before the war finished a bomb hit the house, a family died and and new house was built, infact the whole street was in a mess after the bombing, so all the houses on that street were built the same time around 1948
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-23)
there are so many haunted places in east london, especially as all the old warehouses and factories are now being converted into flats. I enjoyed your story, you should definitely have a chat with that neighbour some day:-)
trusted_soul (1 stories) (18 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-23)
yes we are all dying for you to let us know what the neighbour says! Keep us posted:)
Limey (3 stories) (33 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-22)
Great story Sylvia, and well told. You really must do two things. One, provide a photo of the house (or a number on Jebb Street), and two, and more importantly, talk to the neighbours before it's too late. They clearly have a story to tell, and they want to tell it. It's worth the trip back to Bow to find out. You're at a safe distance now. You no longer live in the house, so you really have nothing to lose, and so much to gain. I have never been to Bow, but after reading your story, I would go out of my to have a look. This is too interesting to have loose ends. Thanks Sylvia.
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-20)
Very creepy. I wonder if the new residents are experiencing anything.

The spirit probably has a connection with your old home.

Thanks for replying,

Lakota73 😊
AUSTRIA (4 stories) (36 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-20)
Hi sylviabonbilvia,

Well, your story was really scary. It gave me gosebumps.
I wanted to know, that have done a reasearch on the spirit? I mean that maybe he was an old resident of the place or something. Well, if you find something let me know.

AUSTRIA 😁 😊 😁
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-19)
Ooh, do go back to that neighbour to find out what he knows and update us. Sounds fascinating. The sigh could possibly have a non-paranormal explanation (plumbing, for example, is notorious for mimicking human exhalations and even the sound of voices). However, as you are the one who heard it, I defer to your judgement.
sylviabonbilvia (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-19)
Lakota73 - no everyone moved out. The house was falling apart and the landlord was useless. I think there are new people in there now but it was empty for at least 3 months after we moved out.

Argette - yes I tried to do some research also and found nothing. I must go back and talk to my elderly neighbours, I live on the other side of London now so haven't had time to go yet. No my friend couldn't remember much of the conversation but said the man sat on the end of the sofa where he was sleeping.
Argette (guest)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-18)
I did a search on Jebb Street, hoping to find more information but nothing turned up. The opportunities for haunting must be vast in London. How interesting! I would like to know the details on the conversation with the spirit. Was there anything said that might identify the era he came from?
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-18)
Hi Sylviabonbilvia,

Yes, I really did enjoy reading this story. It gave me goosebumps. It's funnt how sceptics need a kick up the backside to make them believe! 😆

Do your friends still I have in the property or have you all moved on?

Lakota73
sylviabonbilvia (1 stories) (2 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-10-18)
Yes I'm pretty sure the house was haunted, too many things happened for them to be coincidences. At first our friend didn't believe us but when my ex was adamant he hadn't got up in the night and had a conversation with him, he agreed that he'd had a chat with our ghost. Although the incidents sound scary and looking back they were, none of us ever felt threatened. Like the ghost just wanted us to know they were there.

And thanks, I haven't shared the story with many people as most of my friends are sceptics. Well, they were until they came round and would be sitting alone in the living room and all the lights would go off. Serves them right 😁
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-18)
... Oh, and it's going straight to my favourite stories 😁

Lakota73
Lakota73 (5 stories) (108 posts)
 
12 years ago (2012-10-18)
Wow! What a creepy story. Sounds like the house is haunted.

Did the friend who came to stay realise he must have held a conversation with a spirit?

Thanks for sharing such a great story,

Lakota73 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: