You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Floating Head

Real Ghost Stories

The Floating Head

 

I was visiting my dad in Nevada and were speaking of the time he found a human head in the trash can in front of his house. We were talking about hauntings and the weird experiences that we had all experienced in our life. I had always known about this strange find since I was much younger. It wasn't until just recently I really slammed my dad with questions. He started to tell me about that hot day here in Arizona where he was born. He would always be playing ball in the street. My dad at the time was 13 old enough to remember detail.

The ball was whacked straight past him and hit the trash can in front of his house on the street and back in those times, like everyone had in front of their homes was the old style trash cans, the metal ones, not very tall, that have the lid you remove on and off, well as my dad approached the trash can, like all kids, he peeks inside the uncovered can as he reaches for the ball, habit I guess, being that you can find lots of cool treasures when you're a kid as he always did. He did a double take not believing what he saw, he stops and thinks for a moment before taking another look telling himself "was that what I think it was" and behold it was.

It was very identifiable that it was a human head, not to mention the head of his neighbor whom was a nice Indian lady that lived there for some time. My dad was in total shock as to what he saw and didn't even tell his friends, he ran straight to the front porch of his house yelling for his mom, my grandma, of what he had seen. Of course she didn't believe him thinking he was a clown and would sometimes do funny things to trick my grandma, so after following her around the house, stating his truth, she finally became irritated, claiming this better not be one of your little jokes son, I am busy and have no time for games right now.

Well she then thought that this was a first claiming to see a head of the neighbor in the trash "hmmm, this sounds too weird" so she follows him down the steps to the trash can and there, she saw their neighbors decapitated head in the can. In shock my Grandma pretty much became light headed and just about fainted. She was able to make it back into the house with my dad's help and they called the authorities and they were there pretty quick.

They kicked the door down to their neighbors home and found her boyfriend in there and her body lying in the tub. This guy was nuts and acted as if nothing happened and that he still sleeps with her as if she were in one piece. He told the authorities that she was taking a bath getting ready for bed, apparently he would sleep next to this body with no head.

After that fiasco my dad and grandma would have these experiences that would not end. My dad claims that this really freaked him out finding such a find, either way he said the visions would not stop. He constantly would wake up at night hearing this lady call his name S-T-E-V-E through out the house. I asked him if he were dreaming and he said "honey no I was not". For one I could hardly sleep for a long while after that find so close to my home and it took a lot to get me to sleep, and when all this occurred I was wide awake. He claimed the head would float around the house and his mother saw it too she was totally freaked by this and really didn't know what to do.

Night by night for two weeks, they would see this same image as if looking for something or some one. Not meant to be funny here but obviously I think she was looking for her head or body and maybe knowing my dad was the one that found it, she probably just focused on him not to sure but these awful visions were to much for my grandma to take and within a 3 week period, they moved away from that house.

The constant sounds at night and during the day, the light sound of someone calling their name was too much for here. All I can say is thank goodness they caught that weirdo and probably who knows, to date he may have died in prison I hope. I often think poor lady she must wonder around still looking for peace.

Thanks for reading my story

M5

Other hauntings by monica5

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Arizona

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, monica5, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

scope1283 (1 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-06-27)
Great story. Very scary indeed. I think a ghost of a severed head floating around will give me a heart attack. Id rather see a full body ghost. But then again I have no experience on the paranormal
melony_san (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-12-03)
omg that is sooo scary! 😨 I'd drop dead if I saw a floating head! And its also scary sleeping with a dead body with no head! What if it came alive and strangle you! 😨
scrapmetalkitten (306 posts)
 
14 years ago (2009-11-18)
Hey Monica,
My dad told me the story of how he found a severed human thumb in a gutter as a kid. He took it to school and scared some girls with it before he got caught and the police came. He lived in a high crime area of Los Angeles at the time in the 1960's. He didn't have any hauntings from it though just a weird story and my grandma (my dad's mother) verified this was true.
I saw in another post that you used to live in the Idaho Panhandle. I live there right now in Coeur d'Alene, Idaho. Any good haunted spots you know of in the area? You can e-mail me
scrapmetalkitten[at]yahoo.com

Thanks for the story! Very weird, gruesome, and scary. --Sydney ❤ 😊 ❤
Hammily (14 posts)
 
15 years ago (2009-09-18)
You know... This story TOTALLY scared me! I was like checking if sumthin might appear right behind me! I would peek in my dark bedroom just in case, also I would not look into my bathroom mirror and window, because I wouldn't even go and think of going inside it! 😨 But don't blame me, I'm just a kid!~:3 😆 BTW I would be screaming my lungs off if I found a decapitated head sumwhere. I would Run home, burst through the door and scream at the top of my lungs at my family about what I saw! 😆 haha!~
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-27)
I don't know which would be worse - actually finding her head and the story behind it, or the head floating around the house! That's an amazing and gruesome story.
melissagrove2000 (4 stories) (43 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-23)
Hey Monica,

Loved your story! Very very intense! Kind of like the BLACK DAHLIA or something! I've heard several stories like this over my life. To think that somebody could actually do something like that and then live with a body and no head attached.hmmmm!? But it would be great if you could manage to find out more info and possibly find an old link to the murder so that we could read up on it that would be awesome! Thanks for sharing!
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Wow very intense story Monica, if you could possiblely find a link to the old murder and share it with us that would be great. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.
purplequeen12 (2 stories) (69 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Wow. Freaky. 😨 I just don't what to say. If that was me, well, I would be quite shocked.
Hawkgirl (6 stories) (55 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-22)
Monica,
That is really freaky! I can't imagine what I would've felt or done if I saw a human head in my trash can at that age... I remember how dead bodies gave me the chills at Med school, I think the single head would have driven me nuts!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: