You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Half A Ghost

Real Ghost Stories

Half A Ghost

 

This here is a story from not too long ago, it's been little less than a year. Before getting into the story I would like to fill in a few details which may give you a better picture but English is not my mother tongue so am sorry if I fail to describe some things properly.

I am originally from Darjeeling (India), situated in the northern part of West Bengal but my parents bought an apartment in Siliguri so that it would be easier in the winters as Darjeeling gets uncomfortably cold during winters. The apartments are not very old maybe 4yrs now since the day of it's construction. Those who have heard of Siliguri know that it's a small town and last of the plain area that you come across before setting up for the Hills of Darjeeling.

The area, the locality where we live is known as Salbari, which is near a large forest area (Sukna), so there is not a lot of population, not a lot of pollution in this area which makes it perfect for people to come and relax. Where I live is a colony of 4 buildings with a total of 128 flats (approx.). There are no similar colonies in this area, at least not yet and it's a very peaceful area. If you are to go up to the terrace of these building then you will have a good overview of the tribal people who originally used to live there, near the village is a small river that goes on forever, a huge piece of tea garden and beyond that a beautiful sight of the majestic forest that touches the hills. The evenings are just too beautiful here. We have a maid who is also one of the tribal people. She is a young tribal girl about 20yrs old who loves to be educated, so whenever I get the time I teach her how to read and write in English and when we don't feel like studying, she tells me ghost stories that frequently occurs in their area, once she also told me that there were many witches who lived in the village but now most of them have moved away ever since the construction of our colony, but some still reside deep in the forests.

Now I am not a person with a lot of paranormal knowledge or experiences but I have had about 4-5 incidences in my life, then again apart from 2 experiences the rest have been very subtle. In fact, I am 29yrs old and all my life I have been a fitness enthusiast and a martial artist so the inclination towards the paranormal normally doesn't occur and I don't really think that I am sensitive to spirits and demons etc, because if I was, I am sure I would have realized it by now.

Last year, December of 2012, I was in a relationship with a girl who lives in the same colony and we had a very healthy relationship, going strong for almost a year, nothing was going wrong, everything was falling in it's own place and even our parents liked the both of us. We had a tradition to meet at the rooftop always. That was like our meeting point all the time and we would sit for hours in the dark, looking up at the sky full of stars, cuddling in the winter breeze, sometimes watching the tiny dots of lights coming from the houses that were there in the hills made them look like a mountain of sparkles which was very beautiful to look at and talking about so many things. It was just wonderful to spend time up there on the terrace but there was one night that changed it all and I can still remember that night as clear as day.

One night around 8pm my girlfriend called me and said that she is done cooking dinner for her dad and asked me to come up to the roof. I was also just done teaching self-defense to the teenagers of the colony, so I headed up. We met and, as usual, we talked about music and paintings and fashion in Paris etc. As we were talking I realized that the skies were all cloudy, no moon, no stars, just a pitch black night with two lovers on the roof. Although the roof is pretty big in area I know for sure that there was no one there but us because there are 3 entrances to the roof: 2 were closed from outside and we were sitting near the third entrance, and even in general people usually don't come up to the roof after sunset because the winter winds are very strong and very cold in this area, so nobody wants to risk sickness.

I remember telling her how nice it was that nobody else is around us to disturb and that's when I saw something that I wasn't sure of. Soon after telling her this, she told me how much she loves and we hugged each other, and I noticed something strange. You see, there was a rug which was hanging over the railing of the roof and it had a certain color and a certain design pattern, and as I was hugging I could see directly the rug, but in the midst of those designs and pattern, there was a color break, a disturbance in the pattern and color. It seemed like there was something, an object of some sort which was about 3ft in height and 1ft across which blocked my view of the rug. Now, although I described it as a pitch black night, there was some illumination from a construction of a 3 story house, which had lights, strong bright lights, not strong enough to brighten everything up but it illuminated our roof enough to understand colors and designs so I could see some disturbance in the pattern and the color of the rug. The rug was deep red in color and the thing blocking it was somewhat orange in color, and I found it strange because I didn't notice anything orange while we were taking rounds of the terrace but I didn't really think much about it because I was too busy being in the company of my girl.

After awhile we both sat down facing the rug and continued talking and this is when we both noticed that the 'thing' was moving from side to side, it was an irregular type of a movement not very smooth. This thing would move a little to the left and stop, then it would move more and then stop again then suddenly move all the way to the right and stop and it was getting too strange. At this point none of us were spooked out because we were too busy trying to figure out what it was, never did it even once occurred to us that it may have been something paranormal. In fact, I guessed it was a Retriever dog which lived in the same building. So, thinking that it must be the dog standing on its rear legs and with its front paws up on the railing, I thought the dog might just jump over. Both me and my girlfriend being animal lovers we decided to pull him away from the edge and take him down to its owner.

We got up, started walking towards it without knowing what we were about to deal with, for us it was the dog but it was the scariest thing I had ever seen in my life. As we were about 12ft away from the 'thing' my girlfriend, she just froze. I looked at her and she didn't even look at me, her eyes were locked on the 'thing' that had us curious. Not making much of it I took about 3-4 more steps ahead, and as I am moving forward, the image of the dog that I have in my head has now started to change because the closer I get the clearer the view is and as I was about 8ft away I realized what I was looking at. I was looking only at a lower half of a woman's body. I looked up but I couldn't see the torso at all, and it was moving on its own side to side. I was scared to death, I just froze and watched half the body of a woman take significance steps to her sides. It was at this point when I saw what the orange thing was, it was her garment. It was like a long skirt, not very fancy but it would look fancy enough on a tribal girl. Then, as she was moving, I looked down and I could make out the outlines of her legs, shin area, and calves and her ankles, but the worst part was that it seem to be getting closer to us, or was it my mind playing tricks I don't know but it did seem that way at that time. So I conjured up all the courage I had, really kept my calm because I didn't want to freak out and make matters worse, so I just took long deep breaths and I gradually moved further and further away from this incomplete body of an unknown woman to whom it belonged to.

Even though I was trying to relax, my brain felt like it would explode with questions that were triggered by fear. It felt like electric shocks in my head, there were many questions like, to whom does it belong to? What am I dealing with? Is it a human spirit? Is it a witch? Will it jump on me? Will it chase us? But mostly I was thinking, are we going to get out of this alive? But like I said, I kept my calm, took one step back at a time, got closer to my girlfriend and I grabbed her hand. She was so terrified that she couldn't talk or react to anything, I just saw tears rolling down her eyes and it seemed as if she was having trouble breathing, I figured it was fear. So after grabbing her hand, I pulled her and headed towards the exit.

We just flew through the stairs and headed down and out of the building where we joined rest of our friends and family who were there standing around chatting, etc. Everyone got concerned seeing my girlfriend and me, everybody said we look pale and terrified. We didn't know what to say so we didn't tell anyone at that time but I told my cousin brother who is the same age as me after a few months.

Me and my girlfriend never went up there during night time after that. We would meet up on the roof but would make sure to drop down before nightfall. Strangest thing was that, soon after that incidence everything started going wrong in our relationship. It was as if the both of us suddenly fell out of love and things took sour turns every day and it kept getting worse and finally we broke up. Don't know whether its a coincidence or not but we never talked about that night ever.

Later, me and my cousin tried to find out if there were any death during the construction of the colony but it turns out that there weren't any, and I still don't think my mind was playing tricks on me because I consider myself to be in a very healthy condition, specially back then as I was sleeping on time, getting enough rest, working out, bodybuilding, practicing martial arts, eating the right stuff. I don't do drugs or alcohol and my eyesight is 20-20 and that night I was engaged in teaching people self-defense and later I was with my girlfriend busy romancing so ghost was the last thing on my mind but I don't know what happened that night.

It didn't harm me, or follow me around to spook me out any day or any night. I have been to that roof several times at night but just me not my girlfriend even after the incidence, mostly to pick up dried up clothes but never saw it. Even on that night I never felt any heavy tense air or eyes on me when it was present with us... I think it wasn't a spirit, it wasn't a demon, maybe it was a witch practicing her dark arts that's all and we were just there at the wrong place at the wrong time. I still don't know what to make of it, I guess I will just have to try and let the memory fade away with time.

I would like to end by saying that so far in my life, my understanding of the paranormal as a science is that whether we see them or not, whether we acknowledge their existence or not it doesn't matter because a world does exists alongside ours, where the inhabitants are not necessarily composed of solid human like body. Instead some exist in the form of air, some exist as shadows, some as fire and some are composed of smokeless fire. It's like science that tells us about parallel universes and that it's actually possible to travel to these worlds if you figure out how to open the portal and sometimes something or the other manages to figure that out and things from the other side cross over to our world. These things are, after all, different forms of energy and vibrate at a different frequency than us and our world. Some of these beings are good and some are pure evil and I guess sometimes the frequency of their vibration matches ours and that's when our eye catches the sight of the paranormal but I guess if we don't disturb them chances are they won't disturb us too unless there is something they want us to know.

That's just my opinion, am no expert but I appreciate everyone going through my very descriptive writing. Thank you for your time. In the future I shall write a few more of my experiences and one of them is quite long and will probably be more detailed and descriptive than this. I hope you all look forward to it because I look forward to sharing my stories with you.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from India

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, nima, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

SassySrush (2 stories) (5 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-15)
I've read hundreds of stories on this site but this one sent a literal chill down my spine. I can't even imagine what you both must be going through when you saw that sight! Like seriously I've heard of so many different paranormal things like mics shadows voices etc but seeing half a body... That's a first! Btw have you figured out yet what exactly it was? Very curious to know.
cutiepie11 (17 posts)
 
9 years ago (2014-12-04)
Hi nima, first of all let me tell you that you have an excellent narrative skill and your story kept me interested from the beginning to the end... I have always been confused between salbari and salugara... And the way connecting siliguri and kurseong is very spooky during evenings... But its beautiful during the day time... Anyways it was a great story and hope you find out who was on the terrace that night!
Singha2014 (1 stories) (28 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-09-04)
very very scary you have capability to scare people through your writing.
nima (1 stories) (10 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-11)
thanks lady-glow for reading, I bet something without the lower half would be a lot scarier, thank god I didn't see the upper torso and yeah, I will write more in the future but I don't have the access to the internet right now at home.

[at] valkricry: I don't really think it replaced anything else because I clearly remember that there was a huge pond in that area, the locals would do fishing business there, unless someone died in the pond. Thanks for reading in detail, much appreciated.
valkricry (49 stories) (3265 posts) mod
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-10)
nima, very interesting account! I'm not sure what you saw either, but it would definitely be disturbing. I have heard of and witnessed some partial manifestations, and maybe this was the case. There's no hard and fast rules with the paranormal, just generalizations and 'usually accompanied by'. You say your girlfriend saw it too, so that rules out imagination. Being outside you may not have noticed a temperature change, especially if it was already cool out. The atmospheric conditions may have been just right to trigger a residual sighting. The replay could have been from a time before your building was there. Did it replace another building?
I'm looking forwards to hearing more from you.
lady-glow (16 stories) (3154 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-11-09)
nima: this is a very interesting and well written story. I wonder what half of a ghost would be worse to see: a torso without legs or a pair or legs without a torso 😐

It is shame you had to end such a nice relationship with your girlfrriend, but everything happens for a reason.

I'm looking forwards to read more of your stories. Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: