You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Fisherman

Real Ghost Stories

The Fisherman

 

Some years ago myself and four went to Cornwall for a summer holiday. We hired a traditional Cornish cottage to stay in, reputed to be over 600 years old and a grade II listed building, complete with a thatched roof, oak beams and white washed panels. We all lived and worked in North Wales so it had been an early start and a long drive down taking 6 hours.

We arrived around midday in perfect sunshine and unlocked the front door and on entering we were very surprised to see a man standing in the room facing us wearing deep sea fisherman clothing (boots, pants, thick white wool jumper, long dark oilskin coat and wearing a black sou' wester hat). The front door opened into the main living room and as we all piled into the room eager to look around our new home, the man blocked our way.

We thought at first he might be a local man who looks after the cottage for the owner, but the owner had not mentioned that anyone would be there to meet us and, after all, I had just unlocked the front door. We introduced ourselves but the man did not seem to notice us and stared straight ahead.

The man then disappeared (dissipated) right in front of us. We were shocked as we had all seen him and tried to talk to him. He seemed so real but was in fact a solid, full body apparition. We later estimated his age to be around 55-60 years old with pale a weather-beaten face.

We did not see him again or experience anything else unusual during our 1-week stay in the cottage but we did not get much sleep that night, half expecting him to suddenly appear again and give us a scare. We named him 'The Fisherman'.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, spanners1971, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

spanners1971 (1 stories) (1 posts)
+1
10 years ago (2013-12-08)
Thank you for your comments. My friends and I wondered what time period this ghost was from exactly as sou wester hats and oilskin coats are still very much in fashion in Cornwall and still widely used. Though he was not wearing the most modern versions.

Our best guess is turn of the century, possibly he might have worked on a whaling ship. One of the items in the house was a carved walrus tusk. Carving pictures on the tusks was a very popular hobby back then on long sea trips.
Swimsinfire (11 stories) (556 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-08)
That was awesome. And you walked accross the threshold. I can just picture the whole thing. Good story.
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-07)
Hi, Spanners. You provided such a detailed description I could practically see the apparition myself! I was surprised that the four of you decided to stay all week after this experience. How courageous!

Thank you for sharing this encounter with us.
~Seraphina
HappySpirit (187 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-06)
Yes, I would also go with a residual haunting, a very clear one. Rarely do so many people see a haunting all at the same time; no one could be accused of seeing things or making up a tall tale this time!
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
 
10 years ago (2013-12-06)
Cool story!
I think the fisherman is a residual haunting from a bygone era; I'm sure that after 600 years a lot of things have happened in that little cottage and you were lucky to see one of it's previous residents.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: