You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: I'm Going To Kill You

Real Ghost Stories

I'm Going To Kill You

 

Thirty odd years ago, I was friends with a man called Hank. That's not his real name, but it will do for the rehashing of a mystery that has plagued me over the years. There are a few things you need to know about him - at six foot six and close to 400 pounds, Hank was a mighty big man, and could be very intimidating. Very few people would care to cross him, but if he considered you a friend, you knew his heart was every bit as big as he was. Inside the mountain of the man was 100% marshmallow.

One night, we were sitting at the local bar, enjoying a beer and he confided to me that he believed his new place was haunted. "How so?" I asked, fully expecting this to be a lead into one of the awful jokes he was known for, but as I looked into his eyes, I knew he wasn't kidding. I saw that hint of -fear, I guess is the word. Fear that whomever you're talking to is going to think you're nuts, imagining things, or just flat out lying.

I watched his wordless struggle with himself for a moment - he'd opened the door, but now wasn't sure if he should walk through it. I laid my hand on his and squeezed. "I'll believe you. Honest." He began with the usual signs of a haunting; doors open and closing on their own, footsteps, things being moved about. Irksome to be sure, but I didn't think this is what was really bothering him. Then he hit me with it. A stranger's voice that spoke directly to him, and said it was going to kill him.

I asked if it had actually done anything to him, and he shook his head no. My opinion on this was then either it couldn't or wasn't strong enough. Either way, it wasn't nice and had to go. It was decided that I'd come check his place out the next day and see if I could maybe find some reason behind it all. Meanwhile, I suggested he stay at his mom's, while we figured things out.

Hank lived in a townhouse, the other half was unoccupied at the time so my elation at thinking that perhaps he was hearing things from next door, was short lived. We walked through the place, with me paying strict attention to how things such as doors, reacted to the vibrations of Hank's movements. Nothing. According to Hank he had heard the voice more than once, in the wee hours of the morning while watching TV. Here too, I paid strict attention looking for air ducts or anything that might carry sound. Again, nothing. The house, itself felt fairly normal to me, except for being a bit staticy. The early twilight hours were uneventful, and I did begin to wonder if perhaps my friend was in need of a medical check up. On the other hand, I do know that malevolent spirits can be very sneaky.

We spent the evening chatting amiably, cracking the world's worst jokes, and watching comedies on TV. Even though we're both horror fans, we did not want that mindset.

Along about midnight amid yawns, we heard a door slam - hard. We walked through, but all the doors were as we left them - except for his closet door. It was gaping wide as we entered, then ever so slowly swung shut. Then his bedroom door slammed shut behind us! I was pretty sure that soon I'd be standing in a puddle of my own making. I fought the urge to jump on Hank's back and bellow "RUN!", and forced myself to say instead, "Stop it, right now. You want my attention? You've got it." Silence.

I pulled the door open, and clinging to Hank's hand, we went back to the living room.

I searched my brain for some logical explanation. No windows were open, the closet door had closed slow enough that it couldn't have created a vacuum effect. No heavy traffic.

About then Hank asked if I wanted a beer - something we had abstained from through the course of the evening. I said I'd better not, but would take a coffee. Even instant was fine. He said ok and followed that with a 'come with me?' like a scared 10 year old. He didn't have to ask twice, I didn't want to be alone right then either. In fact, I made him stand outside the bathroom door while I relieved myself.

I can't be sure of the time, I wasn't looking at a clock, but I think it was about an hour or so later I began feeling quite chilled, when a moment before it was quite comfortable. I had been asking Hank if he'd had the house blessed yet, as I knew a priest that would do it. I guess the spirit didn't like that idea because there was more door slamming. And then we both heard it. A deep southern sounding voice. "I'm going to kill you, Nig***." We both jumped to our feet at the same time. Hank grabbed my arm, clearly with the intention of taking off with me tucked under his arm, if need be. The voice sounded like it was only inches from us, but I saw nothing. Not even a swirling mist.

"Got a problem with blacks do you?" I spat the words with false bravado. The air felt colder.

More door slamming. It sounded as if the kitchen was being torn apart. We didn't stay, but got out of there so fast I barely had time to grab my purse.

The next day, I placed three calls while Hank still slept on my sofa. The first call was to the priest I had mentioned, the second was to my buddy at the local paper's morgue asking them to see if anything at happened at that address, or a death there. My third call was to Enrika, a psychic friend of mine. Hank's problem was out of my league and I knew it. I had hopes that she could direct me to some real help. Unfortunately, she wasn't home.

We were to meet the priest the next day. While I was at work, Hank decided to go back there. Why, I don't know. He was clearly scared of the place. He was found laying at the foot of the stairs, having fallen and broken his neck.

I'll never know for sure, was it just an accident? Or was he pushed? Had my added fear been enough to give this spirit enough strength for that?

My buddy at the paper didn't turn anything up. So, I've still no idea who this bigoted spirit was.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-12-07)
I was at home when I read this and I felt so scared. The banging of the door because of the wind shocked me. I'm sorry for this experience of yours, Val.

Best regards.
Unicron1000 (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-03)
Sorry but I forgot to say this in my last comment but I am very sorry for your loss. 😢
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-03)
Unicron,
Thanks for reading and commenting. Well... I don't think it was a demon but I do agree that bad/mean spirits do feed off of fear. Between what Hank and I were generating it must have been a regular feeding frenzy for this one.
Unicron1000 (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-11-28)
A very intresting story. I think it was a demon but I could be wrong. But I think that you did give the spirit more energy by both your fear and Hank's fear. 😊
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2016-07-24)
Well, isn't that the way though, Red? Folks buy into Hollywood paranormal. They either don't or won't understand that 'based on a true story' means '99% fiction with maybe 1 fact involved.'
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-07-15)
Val

I know that Lottiebird has probably moved on by now but I have to comment on her post that she heard that spirits will "move down the block" she heard that's what happened with Amity.

I live on Long Island grew up on the South Shore about 15 miles away from Amityville give or take a few miles. Not only did they change the house number but the Town renamed the Street the Lutz family lived on because of trespassers and looky loos. The windows were changed so they didn't look like "eyes". My son had a bus driver whose best friend lived there for a time. Absolutely NO red room and NO spirit activity in that or any other house on the block. Most importantly is the Lutz family finally came clean quite a few years ago that they made the whole story up. Now can we please stay away from THAT work of fiction? I've seen at least 2 other people mention that house my son spoke on the first post, I let the second slide. I know this was an old post but demons moving down the block? 😆 Would that be, knock knock knock. Owner "who is it?" Demon "Um,yeah I had to leave the house down the block. Can I crash in your basement for awhile?" Owner,"go to hell."

Respectfully
Red
Lottiebird (1 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-23)
Oh my that is so sad and scary! It's hard to say what it could have been or why it was there. I personally don't believe all spirits are stuck in the same spot. I have heard of them moving "down the block" or so before. I've heard that's what happened with Amity anyway.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
8 years ago (2015-11-09)
JustAnotherPerson,
30 odd years ago the area was vastly different then it is now. For a long time, I kept my eyes and ears open for anything 'untowards' coming from that area, but never heard anything that couldn't be explained by ignorance of people towards other people, nothing even hinted of the paranormal.
My reporter friend had dug as far back as to when the townhouses were erected and didn't find anything extremely weird at that address or even nearby. Just the usual domestic violence, or loud party issues where the police were summoned, and a couple of break-ins, if memory serves correctly. At one point he gave me access to the 'morgue' so that I could sift through old copy myself. Never found anything note-worthy.
JustAnotherPerson (9 stories) (36 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-11-07)
Aww... I am so sorry about your friend, Val... 😢

I wish I could tell you about this spirit, but from what I can read, it sounds like this spirit is angry at or about something. Have you done any research about the house besides calling your reporter friend? Maybe do some internet searching about the area the house is in.

That should shine a little bit of light. 😳
samtillie (5 stories) (242 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-10-06)
Val, this is one of the saddest stories I have read on here. Poor Hank, I hope it was a genuine accident what happened to him ❤
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-08-06)
A_A,
LOL love that gif! Thank you!
How sweet that you've added most of my accounts to your favs. 😳 Thank you.
A_A (1 stories) (37 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-08-06)
Valkricry, I applaud you on, and I quote "got a problem with blacks do you?" http://media2.policymic.com/a01d394ded4936ccc46ef11c68fc0118.gif
Took great courage, and another great story from you, i'd be having most of your stories on my favourites shelf.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-02-03)
Rebel- now, that's a thought. Could a 'neighboring' spirit be the culprit? Hmmmm...well, if we take things such as 'visiting' spirits as a given, then we'd have to consider that it is a possibility. I suppose if its emotion (in this case hatred of non-whites) was strong enough, it could. Perhaps, we can get some more thoughts on this type of scenario. Interesting idea...
RebelRaider (4 stories) (15 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-02-02)
I have a idea. You said Hank moved into a neighborhood with mostly white neighbors? Was this part of town he lived in always white?

Possibly the Ghost that tormented Hank might not have lived in that house but he might of lived in that neighborhood. Seeing an Black man move into "his" neighborhood might have bought him to Hank's house to move hin out,
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-02-01)
Triska,
Sure you can email me.
Sorry, it's taken so long to get back to you. Trying to prep for a blizzard they say heading our way. Started snowing around 8pm last night, it's now 7 am, and it isn't showing signs of stopping.
Triskaideka (2 stories) (388 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-01-31)
I read part 2 before reading part 1. Had no intention of logging in or commenting on anything this morning. Y'all know I like to relax and read ghost stories before I go to bed. Well, I found this story anything but relaxing. My hackles are raised. I feel generally fearful and concerned. Val, I'm so sorry you lost someone so wonderful, especially in such a frightful way. I'm not even sure how to digest this. Not sure how you managed to. It's just unfathomable!

The investigator in me would really like to dig into this further. If it's okay with you, I'll sent you an email to inquire a little bit. (I could look into the history of the house for you in ways gov't employees can't.)

I'm no expert on ghosts and have long been a skeptic, but it occurs to me that if a ghost were incredibly hateful toward someone of a particular race, that person's presence in their home would be maddening, and that in itself may have caused the charge. Anger-fueled energies. And once the perceived interloper was gone, the energies dissipated. I worry that the spirit still lingers, and that this could happen again. 😢

Ugh. I feel so unsettled. *hugs* Thank you for sharing this with us, Val.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-30)
4d, thank you, I'm sure Hank, as well as myself appreciates it. 😊
4d (15 stories) (167 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-28)
I'm so sorry for the loss of your friend, your retelling of Sam made me feel so connected to him. He seemed like a very nice man.

I can't believe that happened! I had to reread his accident to fully accept he had passed.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience... This story is bringing me to pray over his soul.

God bless- 4d
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
Sam,
I've no idea what happened to the house. I know his family were going to try and sell it, but if they did or not I couldn't tell you. I know not too long after, maybe a year or two, his family relocated to another state.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
Red - thanks for reading and commenting. That's weird about the rats... I wonder why something would kill them all like that? And, I'm officially creeped out by the idea of snakes in the house! 😆
Sam222 (8 stories) (461 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
Valkricy,
First of all the title had totally caught my eye. This is a great story, but its the first time iv evee heard of a spirit using racial slurs! Wow that was arrest mean thing for a Spirit to say. 😢 AW man I was hoping for a happy ending, that really bums me out that he died, it seems like I've read a lot of stories with deaths lately, I'm real sorry that Hank died, I fell bad for him, it made me sad.
He could have been pushed, (deep down inside I thin that he did), he's a big man, so if he was pushed he definite would have fallen all the way down like what mustve happend, there's no stopping a big guy that halfWay down or something, it may still have been an accident because he may have loathe balane near the top.
Did the spirit still get removed even though Hank passed? Because I think it would be dangerous for the next person to live there to live with that spirit, it case the spirit was the cause.
Rest In Peace Hank. And Thank you for another great write story Valkricy.
RedWolf (31 stories) (1292 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-27)
val
I am so sorry for your loss.
I had a spirit in basement of the house I grew up in that didn't like me and at one point had made it so I couldn't open the basement door and I could feel it coming for me. I said please God help me out and the door opened easily. So I would say that yes a malevolent spirit can harm or kill someone.
A coule of years ago my son went to the house (my sister still lived there) because he want to try to get to get an E.V.P. On his recorder. He only got one of a child. The next day all of her rats she had for her snakes were dead in their cages.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-25)
Nillix, what you suggest is possible. He could have simply gone for fresh clothes, and his fall could have been just that, and nothing more. Truly, if not for our shared experience, I don't think I'd have wondered twice about that.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-01-25)
Rook and newhunter,
It's hard for me to even imagine that someone would have 'sent' this thing after Hank. I can't even fathom a reason as to 'why' someone would. Of course, I'd just to be kidding myself to say 'everybody' liked him. Those I knew did, or at least appeared to, but what about those he had interaction with that I didn't? I simply don't have a pat answer. But, where-ever it came from, it certainly was not nice at all.
Thank you both for trying.
nillix91 (1 stories) (12 posts)
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-25)
Val, I am so sorry for your loss. I too have lost good friends. Do you think he went back to get new clothes and he saw something and got so scared he ran and tripped and fell down the stairs? Because a man has his stature has a lot of momentum and if he were to trip from turning a corner too fast that could have been the reason? Just trying to throw out possibilities.

Thanks,

Nillix
Arwen1957 (7 stories) (47 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-25)
Thank you We both lost bright spots in our lives. It sad so many shinning stars leave, at such an early age
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-24)
Val,

New has made a good point... The types of entites or spirits that can manifest that strongly pretty much from the onset of the haunting are strong ones and from what you have shared with us this one was not a nice one.

Unless Hank happened to purchase a very haunted object just before the haunting started then 'new' may be on the right track with thinking this was something that was sent against Hank.

Its hard to say, thanks for doing your best to recall and relate just your actual feelings and thoughts at the time.

Respectfully,

Rook
newhunter30 (2 stories) (137 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-24)
Val I would agree with Rook in that if there was that much energy that something was there. I know that this may be a rather large stretch by some means but do you think there is a chance that someone had it in for or held a grudge against Hank and could have summoned something to do this to him?
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
9 years ago (2015-01-24)
Rook,
This might come out sounding rather confusing. I'm trying really hard to recall the details, but I want to be sure they ARE the details and not something my mind has added to or 'expanded' over the years. I hope that makes sense.
It seems to me that during that first time the air seemed to become more charged as the activity increased. I felt as if there was a current around/ through me. I do know my adrenalin was pumping, and that internal 'trembling' feeling I had could have been from that.
At the start of the activity when we had the bedroom's doors slam - my initial gut feeling (outside of fear and darn near wetting myself) is it was trying to scare or intimidate us. It wanted us gone. Later, in the living room, before it spoke and all heck broke out in the kitchen, I did try to 'read' it - cast out with my mind to it - but I started to feel sick. I remember my head starting to hurt, feeling nauseous, and then the cold came.
When it spoke... That was hate, pure unadulterated hate.
When I went back, almost a month later, the air was...flat. I contributed this to the house having been closed for so long. All I felt there was Hank, anything else I dismissed as nerves. But still missing him, and surrounded by his things that could have been normal. 3 guys were with me, his brother, and 2 of his friends, and none of them mentioned feeling or seeing anything odd.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-01-24)
Val,

You have said the air felt staticky (sp?)...in my opinion that means there is enough energy being 'stored' within the house, room, car or area being entered to support a haunting or manifestation of a spirit or entity. Did feeling of static change in any way while you were there the first time... And did the air have the same feeling when you returned later?

Once the physical manifestations began did you begin to feel any sort of 'intention' behind them? I guess what I am asking is did you feel hatred...maleviolence...any sort of focused emotion?

Respectfully,

Rook

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: