You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Self Writing Code

Real Ghost Stories

Self Writing Code

 

From my journal:

2/9/2018

I'm not saying this is paranormal, because I've been sick and we know how that can be, but sick or not it's platypus odd.

Since the doctor won't let me go back to work until Monday, I decided to work on Trespauze Manor, my online haunted house. I wanted to make it responsive (usable on mobile devices) as well as PCs.

The website is HUGE, so I knew it would take some time, plus the responsive coding is new to me. Adding new coding to existing code isn't always easy. This meant I had to go through every single page, and for Trespauze there's a lot of them. Of course since you've got the page open, may as well check all the links, do some updating, delete some no longer used files, etc. Basically the rooms of Trespauze are image maps (pictures with clickable areas to produce some effect), for some odd reason in many of them I found the 'hot spots' had mysteriously moved. But ok, maybe that had something to do with the new coding, not too hard to fix.

Then I came to my 'contact' page, THE page that fails to impress me, as it's basically just a clickable link. Very, very old school. Now, I can create a contact form, no problem, it's the back end php script that powers the 'sending' of the message to a specific email address that frustrates me. On a good day, php and I fight. It just isn't my strong suit. But,98% of websites do want a contact page, and if I can do it all in house so much the better. So I challenged myself, and failed. And failed. And failed. Even using code found on the web, I failed, because there's this thing called 'depreciation' of a term that can cause the whole thing to fail. Finding that single word and what it is now substituted with, can be nerve wracking.

Now here comes the really odd part, during the night I could swear I heard typing on my keyboard, but since I had turned the computer off, and I was home alone, I didn't wake up entirely, I assumed I was dreaming, or something from the downstairs apartment just sounded like a keyboard, and fell back to sleep (my med makes me very tired). But when I woke up, the code had been changed... Very odd. What's more it works!

*End of journal entry*

Before, I continue, I want to clear up a few things that I already know will raise questions (when ill, I tend to be brief in my writing, but I didn't want to tamper with my entry very much.) I KNOW I had shut the computer completely down before going to bed, and if I had left a program open, it would have said so before closing. In other words, it is simply not possible to turn it off and leave a program open. How can I be so sure that I turned it off completely? My PC is in my bedroom, and when on there's a few lights from the keyboard, router and tower, that in the dark can seem quite bright, and because they occasionally blink, are quite annoying, when trying to go to sleep. Those were off, as well as the wee monitor light, when I went to bed.

When I woke, my computer was not only on, but had the screen saver up! I did wonder if perhaps the computer had managed to reboot itself (updates or something) but after I cleared the screen saver, there was my coding program - fully opened to that particular code, and as I said, the code had been changed. Proof of this came, when I went to close it and the programmed piped up with, "the code has been changed, do you wish to save the changes?" I just can't come up with a logical explanation for this. Although until today, I was quite happy to put this event in my 'that's weird' file.

Five years ago, I was in college pursuing my degree in multi-media technologies (yes, I was a nontraditional student. Meaning I was older than some of my instructors), and I was still that 'scary smart' student, I was as a child. That's not bragging, just fact. In this case, my instructor for php coding adored me, simply because I was very good at ferreting out depreciated words and making our coding examples, taken from brand new texts work. Depreciation in coding can happen very quickly; what worked 6 months ago, might not work today, even though you can find working examples on the net, published prior to the change.

I recall one exchange he and I had in class over an example that would not work. No one in class could get it. Finally frustrated, I raised my hand and asked for his help. Dead serious, he says to me, "I was hoping you could tell me!" We both laughed, and together finally figured it out, much to the class's relief. That began our bond really, I think. Even after I graduated, now and then one of us would email or message the other, "Ok, what's wrong with this?" Our 'friendship' never really went much beyond the perimeters of coding.

This morning I learned of his death on February 9, the night my code mysteriously changed.

Other hauntings by valkricry

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, valkricry, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Queeny (guest)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-15)
Valkricry

I've been trying to read a lot of posts. So many amazing posts.

When I like a post I add it to my profile.

You really write well, and capture the reader's interest until the last word. Did you study journalism as well as web design/multimedia technologies? You must be one clever person. I can barely use email. Lol

😊
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-08-15)
Thank you, Queeny. It was a very strange experience, that's for sure.
Queeny (guest)
+2
6 years ago (2018-08-15)
Wow!

Your story had me on edge until the end. I never expected the ghost to be your instructor.

He died on February 9th and your code changed the same day... Wow!

I loved this post and added it to my profile along with a couple of your other posts. Your posts are very professionally written, informative, and interesting.

Thank you for sharing.
Queeny. 😊
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-28)
Beaut, ha-ha, I really didn't see anything wrong with your first emoji. 😊
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-28)
Fergie, actually that's all I thought at first, "well that's just weird." It wasn't until after I learned of my instructor's passing I really began to wonder.
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-28)
Sorry Val, I think I inserted the wrong emoji and only noticed now... This is the right one: 😉

Me and my flash visits...
BeautInside (3 stories) (326 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-28)
Hi Val,

I'm not an expert in technology but... This would be too much of a coincidence. Your instructor passing away by the time the code problem was solved? I guess he wanted to present you with the solution before leaving this world. 😲

God bless.
Fergie (40 stories) (1159 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-02-28)
Val, that is just plain... Weird!

Well, as Granny always used to say, "There is no such thing as coincidence!" Strange about the code thingy happening on the same date as your instructors death. But, who else could it be? 😉
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-27)
sherm,
I'm really not sure how much the spirit world can do. I'm not sure anyone is, really. Perhaps it's tethered to what you knew in your life, or maybe we continue to learn after we've departed? I guess one day we'll all have the answers.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-27)
BGP,
I had a rather sever case of Influenza (which apparently IS different then regular 'flu' - who knew?) So I was on Tamiflu. When diagnosed I was kind of shocked because I'd had the flu shot. Evidently, it won't stop you from getting it, but 'might' lessen it. If it lessened the severity of what I had, I really don't want to know how bad it can be without the shot. I was a mess and a half.
Glad all the techie jargon made sense to you. 😊 Hey, get better. If that weight sits on your head more than 3 days with no sign of getting better - get thee to a doctor pronto.
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-27)
Val- Almost forgot! I do hope you're feeling better. What kind of meds are you on? I woke up to the freaking cold north wind blowing and my head feels like someone strapped on a 10-lb weight. Guess it's time to start closing my windows at night. 🤔
babygoatpuller (4 stories) (432 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-27)
Val- You already know the low IQ of my computer abilities so we won't go into that. 😕

The ending was totally unexpected and all the foreign language made sense! 😊 ❤
sherm784 (19 stories) (27 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
Wow man, that is powerful stuff. Always wondered if they have any ability to influence websites and other published material once they pass on.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-26)
Loved your story and the ending was great! I'd like to think it was your instructor, popping in one last time for some coding help. Those hours right after we pass on can be powerful, as our consciousness is expanded beyond our five senses, and yet we can still be tethered to Earth, able to directly interact with the physical world.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
6 years ago (2018-02-25)
RC,
Now that IS funny!
I have the tendency to read source codes. Especially if something really catches my eye and I wonder how they did something. Surprising how often you'll run into a 'weird' comment.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+3
6 years ago (2018-02-22)
Val, reading your reply to Jubeele reminded me of the funniest thing I ever saw. I wanted to start a server for a roleplaying game I had going at the time and downloaded the sourcecode for it to read through. Buried somewhere deep in the code, I found an error condition led to this message being displayed:

You are currently using a program. Type [at] Q to return to a normal state of control.

Couldn't stop laughing for a while.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
 
6 years ago (2018-02-22)
RC,
I popped over and reread your experience. Pretty cool.
As I said, I was very ill, so I can't rule out your suggestion completely. Although, when I heard the typing, I could have sworn I was still curled up in bed. However, from what I understand, sleep walkers don't recall leaving their beds either. 🤔
The code works beautifully.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-22)
Jubeele,
I kept the whole code. I mean it WORKS, and with a few changes I could use it to deliver mail for anyone. Basically with programming the general rule is - does it work? As long as it works, no one really cares how you arrived at the answer. The nice thing about PHP is it is a fairly logical language.
Something that totally floored me, is unlike most things, it's perfectly alright to copy and paste code, and unless you want to, there's no need to give credit. Apparently, copy right law does not apply to coding, itself, but does apply to program coding for software. Confused yet?
Some programmers do have a kind of signature they insert inside their codes. It might be something like: > ^...^< meow. First time I saw that it took me forever to realize it was meant to be a cat. Another buddy of mine inserts: Samisgreat, periodically in his code. Of course this is all lost to the average user. Just like we don't see the code behind the YGS pages. Unless you're looking at the code, you never see it, and the average user doesn't know how to, or would care to view it.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-22)
Rex-T,
Many of the newer PCs are very quiet when booting up. I'm not exactly sure why that is (smaller casings providing less amplification?). But, I do know my old computer would sound like a B-52 gearing up for take off! 😲 Then too, part of my illness was making me fairly deaf.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-22)
Cool little story. I know what you mean about you can't shut it off with programs running, it prompts you to shut them off.
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-02-22)
Hi, Val. I had a similar experience of typing on a keyboard: http://www.yourghoststories.com/real-ghost-story.php?story=22726

Maybe my ghost graduated from community college and came to help you? (OK, enough silly.)

Have you ever sleep-walked? Many geniuses have come up with solutions to things in their sleep and dreams, so I'm wondering if you were typing the code.

Also, did the ghost code work?
Jubeele (25 stories) (882 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-21)
Hi Val, my code-cutting knowledge doesn't go beyond simple SQL or compiling a basic data dictionary. But I'm usually the human interface at work with the IT section to translate the techno-babble. All good fun! 😁

Did you keep a sample of the code that you found on your program? Do different programmers have a particular logic-process style? Wonder if any of his old friends or colleagues got a similar helping hand too?

I got the happy chills reading this! 😲
Rex-T (5 stories) (288 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-02-21)
Val,

Just the sound of the PC firing up (hard drive clicks, fan going) would be enough to wake me up (but then I'm a light sleeper these days).

Reading your account made me think of Aunt Sylvie helping you out with Trespauze Manor, so your ending blind-sided me. A parting code cutter's gift to a student and friend sounds pretty cool to me. A memory that will give someone a smile inside is how I'd like to be remembered.

Rex-T

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: