You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Farrier

Real Ghost Stories

The Farrier

 

During my teen years I spent a lot of time on my stepdad's cattle ranch, west of Spokane, Washington. I was and still am really into horseback riding. Every weekend my best friend and I would venture out to the ranch to spend a couple of days with our horses, practicing for 4-H shows and having fun.

The ranch is over 100 years old, 6,000 acres, situated in the "scab lands", in the middle of nowhere, my stepdad's family settled it in the late 1800's. There are several small buildings and three large barns. One of the barns is where we kept our saddles and supplies. This barn was huge, originally built for breeding draft horses in the early 1900's. Very neat place, old carriages, trunks, leather and saddles, you name it. The only downfall was it wasn't well cared for and over the years of neglect it turned into a bit of a disorganised mess.

One weekend morning my friend and I woke up early, as usual, to rush out to the barn and start riding. We got to the barn, opened the large sliding front door, walked down the long dusty hallway to the door on the opposite end, which led to the corral we kept the horses in.

Upon opening the 2nd door we noticed something strange... There on the ground perfectly in a line were farrier tools. The file (rasp), hoof clippers, small hammer, nail clincher, nails and draft horse shoes. All of which were ancient and covered in rust. At first we were confused, we had just been in the barn the evening before, no sign of these tools.

We questioned my stepdad, he had no idea as he rarely if ever used that barn, not only that but we didn't shoe our horses; therefor, there was no reason to have old shoeing supplies out. Plus the rusty shoes that were sitting out were for large draft horses.

Looking back at it now, I find it somewhat comforting. No doubt that when the ranch was in its "hay day" the house farrier was kept very busy. He must still be shoeing in the after life.

The ranch was filled with other strange occurrences, hearing music on the wind, talking and laughing, hearing people walk up and down the stairs in the farmhouse. I have never gotten any negative feelings and think the hauntings are residual. We sold the ranch last year but I will always have great memories of it, some of the best days of my life were spent there. Maybe one day I too will be visiting it from the other side?

Other hauntings by Mace

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Washington

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Mace, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

H2olily (5 stories) (158 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-08-20)
Would've been cool to get a pic of the tools set up so perfectly.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-05-31)
Mace - you are very welcome. I feel the same way about my stories being personal. Yes, I tell everyone in my real life who will listen about my experiences 😉, but I'm pretty selective when it comes to internet sites. I don't want them shared on any site unless I do it.
Mace (3 stories) (15 posts)
+2
9 years ago (2015-05-31)
Watty- This is a kind of personal story I only feel comfortable sharing on this website, on my own terms, perhaps if you would have asked a bit differently I would have let you. But the answer is no, you can not use my story.

Miracles- THANK YOU for nipping this in the bud! Looks like its already been taken down but I'll keep an eye on it just to be sure.
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-05-30)
Watty_X_writer - ask permission from the writer before including one of their stories from our site on your blog. A lot of people don't want their stories shared without their consent. Don't assume it's okay.

I ask that you remove those stories from our site that you have included without prior authorization from our members. Then, if there is an email on their profile, ask their permission via email.

I've included this same message on the other story.
Watty_X_Writer (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-30)
Hi Mace! My name is Thea and i'm a writer at wattpad. I included "The Farrier" in "Ghost Files". Don't worry I wrote your name. Of course it says that your the one who wrote "The Farrier". Sorry for my grammatical errors. Just tell me if you don't want your story to be included. Check it out: http://www.wattpad.com/133877435-vol-1-ghost-files-the-farrier

Thank You! 😁
Trischa_D (guest)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-22)
Awww, what a happy story! It's nice to get one of those once in awhile:) I think the ranch must have made a lot of people happy, and the spirits there are at peace. I've always wanted to ride a horse but I've never had the opprotunity! It's nice to know that not all hauntings are bad- and that some even leave pleasant memories! Thanks for sharing ❤
Mace (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
Thanks guys! So glad you liked it:)
Miracles, I totally agree. One day when my time has come, I will for sure pick a place where I can be with horses!
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
Mace - I loved this story, maybe because I love horses or it could be the way you told it.

My favorite part was the last line. I think it would be awesome for you to be able to remain a part of this ranch long after you're gone. I like to think we have a choice on where we want to hang out/haunt after we've passed. And being around horses would be an incredible place to be 😊

Maybe many, many years down the road someone will be telling a story similar to yours, only you'll be the one they're talking about.
Wish-Not (16 stories) (534 posts)
 
9 years ago (2015-05-21)
Mace- Thank you for providing another great read today. Obviously you know how fortunate you are to have those memories.

I am in agreement that most could be contributed to residual. Must have been a positive and happy place through out the generations.

Thanks for sharing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: