You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Angry Woman In My Cottage

Real Ghost Stories

Angry Woman In My Cottage

 

Thanks for the good reads over the past couple of months. I'm glad I've found what is undoubtedly (to me) the best forum I've been to specialising in this kind of stuff. Everyone seems to have genuine advice and the stories are great.

Incidentally, I have just read a story that is quite similar to that which I experienced myself. In the story I just read, a person woke up in the middle of the night and took a photo in the dark. There was also an angry face right beside her bed which had cornrows in. This is uncannily similar to an event that happened to me just over ten years ago now.

I was in my mid-twenties and living in an old stone farmhouse in Angus, Scotland - it was all on one level, and I would imagine that once it housed several crofts for the land workers back in the 18th / 19th century. The house itself would have dated to roughly 200-300 years old (which isn't unusual for my hometown, many are even older).

There was a master bedroom at one side of the house and a long hallway stretching from the bedroom past the stairs to the attic, past the second bedroom, through the living room, past the bathroom before reaching the kitchen which mirrored the location and size of the master bedroom, only at the opposite end of the house. Basically, you could look from one end of the house to the other if all the doors were open.

My husband and I had our 3 year old daughter with us who slept in the smaller room of the house. My husband was often away working and it was just my little girl and I much of the time. The master bedroom always made me feel very uncomfortable. I could never put my finger on it, but strange noises, sleep paralysis, the feeling of being watched and basically an overwhelming feeling of not wanting to be in that room plagued me... However, strangely, my daughter was much more drawn to the room and I'd let her play in there as it was much bigger than her room and you could always hear her talking away to herself and having a conversation with herself, bubbling about happy as Larry.

It was her favourite room in the house and she was rarely anywhere else so one day, unable to take the nervousness, I swapped rooms with her and put my double bed in the tiny room and gave her the master... However, one night I had made her go to bed early as she had been playing up, having a little tantrum and doing basic three year old naughty things. When I went to bed and fell asleep I was jolted awake suddenly not long after and when I opened my eyes there was a Afro-Caribbean looking woman staring at me in blind rage about 6 inches from my face. I literally froze but the face just disappeared. She was wearing a multi-coloured turban type headdress but I didn't see the rest of her body, just a frilly cream neckline. I will never forget her eyes, I could even see the veins in them making them seem redder than should be normal.

Now, I'm in rural Scotland and as far as I know, there have been very few Afro-Caribbean families nearby and it might be my overthinking, but I just felt she wasn't from the this century - but I can't say for certain of course, not having seen her dress but that made it even more of a mystery and so unexpected but it scared the life out of me and I'm very keen to get any ideas from anyone. Why was she so angry at me for one, was there anything I could have done to appease her?

There were several other things in the house that happened. Once the electricity went out as it often did in storms out there and I used the flash from my camera phone (an old LG flip phone with camera) to light my way to the kitchen where I stored the candles - taking pictures every few steps so the flash would go off. I got the torch and the candles and made my way back to the bedroom and fell asleep again.

Next morning, I was browsing my phone and thought to delete the pictures I'd taken the night before when I noticed a really eerie thing - in my hallway between the living room and the hallway to the bedroom was what looked like a little 7 or 8 year girl sitting cross legged on the floor with a little boy of about 3 hanging over her left shoulder - zooming in you saw that her face was very skull-like... I showed the picture to my most sceptic friends and even they were convinced, one of them changed their mind about the paranormal because he could just not explain it. Even odder is that a pair of my daughter's pink dressy-up shoes were in the middle of the hallway and it seemed like the little girl had them on her feet.

I know what you all want and I wish I could give it to you but unfortunately I don't have the picture anymore - I put it on my old home PC to store it and the PC died about a year later when I moved. I could never retrieve it and actually kept the PC in case one day I could! I think about that pic all the time and just wish we'd have had the Cloud back then or I'd sent it to someone, but it was 2003 and I didn't!

Anyway, that's my story - I moved from the house a short while after when my husband and I split up but I often think of it... I've recently moved into another very, very old house just outside of Edinburgh and a couple of odd things have happened but none as distinct as that (thankfully).

Other hauntings by Linzell

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Linzell, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-12)
Linzell, I didn't even think of how the spirits must have felt when they heard my son singing Rule Britannia! Duh! The family actually lived through the Clearances on that piece of land. If you look at various foundations from the old, destroyed buildings you can see where this family were pushed right down to the water's edge when the English took their land.
Linzell (2 stories) (3 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-12)
Thanks for the comments all.

At Seraphina, yes, I had the small room and she had the master room (at the end of the house but only along the hall from me, between our rooms would have been the stairwell to the attic). Scotland really does have a good history for the paranormal - just be careful with your choice in songs - Britan was what was made when England subjugated us - some of those old spirits probably still aren't too happy with that ha ha!:)

Wow, I'm intrigued by your comments, I will be leaving living arrangements as they are in my new place that's for sure.

Can voodoo travel all over the world? I always thought of it as a New Orleans based magic, but I guess it has no boundries! Worrying - I've not experienced anything like it before or since (phew)!

I kind of feel really guilty about moving my wee one into the "scary" room now, but she loved it and always seemed happier there than anywhere else in the house. It just didn't sit right with me!

Lastly, at Chapulin, you're right, amazingly, there were slaves in the area - I have a good friend who's an archeoogy lecturer and he looked into the uni records for me! Slavery was as big of a problem in Scotland as it was in other places in the world: (
flowersgrowback (5 stories) (22 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-09)
Hi there!

I agree with another poster who mentioned that the spirit could have been upset with you for switching around your bedrooms. About a decade ago, my mother started to renovate the inside of my childhood home in preparation to sell it. The spirits who were already plenty active became furious and much more of a pain. Spirits look at themselves as roommates at best and landlords at worst. She could have been displeased with you rearranging the house all willy nilly when she liked the situation how it was.

The other poster mentioned that the spirit could have been drawing from your daughter's energy. That's possible and, really, in my opinion, even likely. But I also think she was drawing from yours. If she was drawing from yours at night, then by changing your bedroom, you also changed hers. Big no no in her book most likely.
Antu (1 stories) (27 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-06)
Top range story Linzell! Thank you for sharing!

Just a thought which struck my wee mind, when you spoke of the spirit appearing to be Caribbean and one of the wee spirits having a skull-like face, I immediately thought of voodoo. I wonder if one of the former residents may have dabbled a bit in the voodoo and perhaps one of their ceremonies has drawn something in?

Again, thanks for sharing!

Cheers~~Antu
Seraphina (7 stories) (147 posts)
+3
8 years ago (2016-01-05)
Hi, Linzell. I enjoyed reading your intriguing story. I'm confused about one small point, so I hope you'll clear it up for me. You had sent your daughter to bed early--in the master bedroom I'm assuming. Then you went to bed yourself. Was that in the tiny room? Have I got that right?

I spent quite a bit of time in Scotland when I was younger and miss it very much! When my oldest son was about five, we were visiting relatives who had an old croft on the Isle of Skye. (It had been in their family for generations.) Something paranormal was present, but I didn't get a bad feeling about it. However, my son picked up on a presence and was terrified. He especially dreaded using the bathroom near the possibly haunted area. He did come up with a solution to his anxiety, though. He had just learned how to sing "Rule, Britannia," so several times a day we would hear a serenade from the bathroom, where my son was singing as loud as he could to warn the ghosts away:)
ELLIOT_GRANT (1 posts)
-3
8 years ago (2016-01-05)
Spooky Story! Thats a cool story, it must have been scary at the time however it was a good read. Awakening to some weird spirit carribean queen peircing into your eyes. Kind of makes you think of Aunt Jemimas Syrup. Except shes mad at you, Did you take a cookie from the cookie jar!
I would have just assumed it was some kind of undigested food that made you wake up and hallucinate a bit from just awakening. Then a picture pops into the story and makes us ponder how do these two situations relate to one another or in fact if they even do. The room switch may have sparked an unconcious terrets symptom. Like when you can't stop singing a song that pops in your head. The thought of the master bedroom creeping you out was strong enough to ignite your dislike in the room which led to the switch giving into your fear. I don't have any anecdotes for you, I thought it was a groovy story though.
bizzjoe (1 stories) (162 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-01)
Good story, but I'm surprised you didn't get a few copies of the picture printed as hard copies just in case... But lesson learned.
Tweed (33 stories) (2475 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-01-01)
Linzell, goodness me!

I wondered if the woman scared you to prove a point, kind of like:
'I AM here, you KNOW I'm here, and now you're RUNNING away from ME?!...We'll see about that... How do you like THIS?! *wakes you up with a scary grimace*

Sorry to hear about the photo. I did an even stupider thing, took a photo of a ghost, got scared and deleted the damn thing. Man, have I regretted that ever since!
loneybone (8 stories) (78 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-31)
Great story but if I were you I would have never traded rooms with my dauter. Most spirits like to deal with children there easier to control and take their energy. This woman was probably mad because she liked having your daugher in that room which you traded with her. In this new home of yours I would clence it well and say my prayers to keep all the negativity away and all spirits away. I would burn sage and sandlewood insence and white candled and just pray for those lost souls to get out of your home. Good luck hope everything is well.
chapulin1234 (guest)
+1
8 years ago (2015-12-31)
Interesting...maybe there was someone in your hometown that trafficked with slaves and kept one for his own use? - I know it sounds terrible but it happened, that would explain why she's there and why she's upset.
I'm sorry to hear you and your husband split, and Edinburgh... For what I know Edinburgh is like the Capital of Hauntings for all Europe so, good luck! 😜
Be well,
Claudia

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: