You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Feeling Creepy In Central Florida

Real Ghost Stories

Feeling Creepy In Central Florida

 

Throughout my life I have been fascinated with ghost stories, but I have never actually experienced one myself. I live in Central Florida.

Four years ago, I moved in with my then boyfriend, now husband, about an hour away in a small rural town. He has lived in the home for 16 years. Before I moved in, he told me about two specific experiences he had in the home. Both times he was alone in the home, asleep in his bed, when he was abruptly woken up. An old woman was at the foot of the bed, staring at him. He didn't sense anything malevolent with the woman and promptly fell back to sleep both times. I was amazed he could actually fall back asleep after being in the presence of what he thought was a ghost!

After I moved in, we had two separate paranormal experiences, about a month apart. First, around 2:15 am, our fan light, which is always turned completely off every night, turned on all by itself. We woke up blinking at the bright flood of light, confused. The very next night, at the same time, it happened again. I started to worry. He told me to relax and that it was nothing but an electrical fluke. It never happened again.

About a month later, we were again asleep, and the TV in the living room turned on all by itself with the volume turned all the way up. As many of you may be familiar with, modern TVs take 3 remotes and pushing 9 buttons to even turn them on, much less with full volume. We turned the TV off and went back to sleep. Amazingly, the next night, at the same time, the TV turned itself on again, at full volume. I was really freaked out and insisted that we call a priest if it happened a third time. It never happened again.

The house has been relatively quiet after those instances. I began to forget my worries about ghosts. Last Friday, I had my first real experience seeing a ghost. I do not know what time it was, but it was well after everyone in the house was asleep. Something woke me up and I looked at the foot of the bed to see a dark figure sitting there. It was dark and I did not have my glasses on so I could not clearly see the figure, but I got a sense it was male. My husband is often restless at night and I simply assumed it was him. The figure rose and walked to the door. I don't remember the door opening. I flipped over in bed and saw my husband fast asleep next to me. I jumped and sat straight up in bed. The room was empty. The next morning when I told my husband, he insisted I was dreaming, but I just don't believe I was.

None of the encounters we have experienced have felt malevolent, but it is creepy just the same.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Florida

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, shampton0716, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-02)
Quick question - does your ceiling fan have a remote control? Mine don't but all the fans in my mother's house do. I had my bedside table lamp on one for years... Then it went through a rash of turning on by itself in the middle of the night (ridiculously unnerving... Particularly as it didn't wake up my husband). Then I got wise and changed the batteries --> no more nocturnal light ups! I was more than a little relieved!

...here's hoping you have remotes!
DandK (11 stories) (344 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-23)
Hi shampton0716,

Thanks for posting your interesting stories. I've had some similar experiences with lights and with a figure of a man standing next to the bed that I've posted here. Because of our similarities, I'd like to ask you some questions to see if you had other experiences similar to mine.

First, this may be hard to remember, but do you recall if you and your husband felt tense or short tempered with each other the day after you had the light and TV experiences?

Second, did you ever notice a very short, intense flash of light when you were in your bedroom in the dark? Maybe something that you thought you saw through your eyelids? Or maybe something you brushed off as an illusion because it happened so quickly?

Last, is one side of your bed close to a wall, say with walking space between the wall and the bed? Was the man at the foot of the bed actually sitting on the bed (like could you feel the pressure)? Was he closer to you or your husband and do you remember what woke you up?

Thanks for posting and hopefully answering these questions.

DandK
Mazzmarach (2 stories) (78 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-22)
Ahoy, there.

I'm interested in Tweed's idea about these ghosts appearing during significant times. Do you happen to remember how the house felt like at the times they appeared? What's the history of the house, or the property?

They seem like friendly folk to me, so you shouldn't worry. 😊
PunkysMama (4 stories) (62 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-22)
Interesting! It would seem you have yourself a haunted house! 😆 Things do seem like they have been relatively harmless, kind of like someone wants to be noticed... The undertone of your story seems panicked. Which, HELLO! I am sure I would be too! But maybe you should try to calm yourself when these weird things happen and try and see if you can't notice specific details for each event... Maybe you might figure out what is trying to be communicated to you and/or WHO is trying to communicate these things to you! 😉 Good luck
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-04-22)
Hi Shampton and welcome.

Do you know how old the house is and any history of the area and home? It's interesting that you've been there four years before this occurred. Would you be able to ask your husband if he remembers what time of year he saw the old woman?
I'm wondering, since it's been four years and similarly with your husband living their for sixteen years with sporadic activity, if there's a pattern with these ghosts. A time of year which may be significant to them.

Because the man left the room, I wondered if he knew you'd woken and left out of politeness. Having said that it's not very polite to watch a couple sleeping! Since you get an okay vibe off the ghosts, sounds like he means no harm. 😊

Thanks for sharing.

PS silly of your husband to brush it off as a dream after what he's experienced! Would he happen to be the 'things only happen to me' type? 😆

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: