You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Strange Activity In My Family Home

Real Ghost Stories

Strange Activity In My Family Home

 

I've been reading stories on this website on and off for years. I've now decided to join and share my story in hopes that maybe someone else has had the same experiences or can help shed some light on what's happening.

I'll provide some background information first. I'm currently 17 years old. I have lived in the same house my entire life. My family built our home almost 40 years ago and no one has lived in this house other than us. No one has died here either. We live in the middle of a large farm. I'm not sure if people have died on the property, other than my grandfather who passed away peacefully in a separate house on our property nearly 5 years ago. I have been rescuing animals my whole life so there have been a fair amount of animals passing away over the years.

As far as I can remember I've always had an uneasy feeling around my house, especially at night. I know that's typical of young children but in all other aspects of life I was a very fearless child so this uneasy fear was out of character for me. For the sake of clarity, when I say "uneasy" I mean that feeling of someone watching you or being near you, where you're anxious and just can't get comfortable. It was (and still is) a feeling of someone standing behind me, normally when I'm by myself. I used to feel as if something was with me all the time. I always wanted my bed in the corner of my bedroom (I've lived in 4/5 of the bedrooms in the house) so that the headboard and one side of the bed would be against the wall, so I knew nothing could be behind me and then I only had to watch two sides.

When I was much younger, I had constant nightmares. Every single night I had a nightmare. My home life was good, I was never allowed to watch horror movies or anything of that sort. I was never exposed to anything horrific that would've influenced my dreams. I had nightmares about being chased, beaten, killed, etc. There were lots of scary ghost and demon-like figures even though I had never seen movies with things like this. I don't have any possible explanations for it.

On two occasions, both occurring when I was 4-5 years old, I saw what my brother and I referred to as the green hand. The first time was in the bedroom I shared with my brother. It was the middle of the night and my brother was asleep but I woke up for whatever reason. I sat there for a second but had a really horrible feeling of dread. I was not afraid of the dark or "things going bump in the night". I tried to go back to sleep but I contemplated waking my brother up because I felt so awful. I closed my eyes and when I opened them, there was what appeared to be a green hand shaped figure on the top of the wall near the ceiling. It moved around a bit and I spent a second trying to figure out what it could be. It moved towards me so I shut my eyes and when I opened them, it was gone. I am positive I was not asleep.

The next time this happened I had fallen asleep in my parents' room which was right next to the bedroom where the first incident took place. Their bed faces a vanity with a large mirror. I woke up because of my dad's snoring and saw the green hand in the mirror. I turned to wake my mom up but when I looked back it was gone. It has not happened since.

Talking about it later, my brother (he is a little over a year older than me) told me he used to see the green hand too. It would always disappear if we closed our eyes. We tried to figure out if maybe there was something making a reflection that caused it but we couldn't find anything that would've done it.

In that same bedroom, when I was around 6-7 years old, I couldn't fall asleep because of the same feeling of dread. I sat in bed and played on my GameBoy. My bed was against the wall in a corner and I was leaning against the wall. I suddenly felt like someone had grabbed my sides from behind and I jumped and screamed. I could feel where the hands had been on my sides for several minutes after, but there were no marks. I wondered if maybe I started to fall asleep and slumped over which would explain the sensation on my sides but I know I was very much awake. It was not very late (late for us kids, but my parents and older half-brothers were likely still awake) and I was not tired.

I would swear sometimes I could hear my name very faintly being whispered when I was in a quiet room by myself. On my window, there'd be handprints on the outside of the glass but you couldn't reach it from outside without a ladder.

My older half-brother at the time, I later found out, was very interested and involved with Satanic things and Ouija boards, out of interest and stupid teenage curiosity.

Now, the dread feeling and the uneasy fear has become a normal part of my life. It doesn't freak me out as much as it used to. My current room is the room my older half-brother lived in before he moved out. Oddly enough, it is the bedroom I have felt the safest in. I don't get the sense of unease in here much at all. This is the room I come to to escape the uneasy feeling I get in the rest of the house. I get an especially weird feeling from the hallway leading from my bedroom across past the guest room, bathroom, and leading to my brother's room which was once my now-deceased grandfather's room. As I said before, he died in a different house on the property, not this bedroom. I'm constantly looking over my shoulder before I am in my room and close the door.

Other weird things happen too. I still see shadowy figures out of the corner of my eye, normally in the hallways or when I'm sitting in the kitchen and I see them dash by in the hallway. In our dining room, there are double sliding glass doors leading to a deck. A few months ago, I was walking past somewhat late at night and saw a figure on the deck wave to me. I waved back assuming it was my brother. My parents were both in bed. When I went upstairs, I heard my brother playing a video game and talking to his friends in his room. I turned around and looked down the stairs out the sliding glass doors but the figure was gone. My brother couldn't have come in without me hearing him and he would've had to walk past me on the stairs to get to his room.

I'm much more open to non-paranormal explanations or possibilities but this also could very well be paranormal. I'm not sure how to handle it either way. All I know is that nothing feels malicious but it'd be so much more comfortable living without this great unease. Thank you in advance to anyone who can help or offer advice.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Ohio

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, rescueblonde, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

rescueblonde (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-22)
Sorry for the late replies everyone. The internet has been down at my house but it's finally up and running again.

[at] rookdygin
My home has never been tested for EMF levels. Aside from my brother, no one really believes in the paranormal so I'm not sure how I'd go about a conversation like that.
The half brother who played with Ouija boards is a different brother from the one who saw the green hand. At the time my brother and I were 4 and 5 years old, respectively, my half-brother was around 18 and was active with Satanic things and Ouija boards. This is when we saw the green hand.
My half brother has told me he felt a lot of the same things in the house before he moved out. My brother and half brother both have said they see a "shadow person" darting around in different parts of the house and in windows. I see similar things out of the corner of my eye.
My boyfriend has stayed the night in our guest room in the upstairs part of the house in the hallway I hate. He asked me this morning if I had come into his room overnight because he heard someone whispering in the room. He's not a believer in paranormal things.

----------------------------------

A few more things have occurred recently.
I'm having this issue where I know for a fact I did not close my bedroom door but when I go upstairs it's closed. At first I thought maybe my brother was doing it but it's happened when he's not home. When my parents and brother are gone, the only other person at home is my grandmother but she's in a wheelchair and would not be able to go upstairs to close my door. I know it's not my dogs accidentally shutting themselves in there because they aren't shut in my room when I open the door back up. I now always make a mental note to myself to remember whether or not I've shut my door just to be sure I'm not going insane.
My dogs are acting weirder around the house too. I heard one of them going crazy in my room the other day and he was staring at the wall and barking violently. He kept backing up like someone was walking toward him. This was very out of character for him.
MysticFrance (5 stories) (95 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-20)
Hi. Well, this is an interesting story. I've read some stories similar with this one on another website. They consulted a paranormal expert to know "what" or "who" are those and what their motives are. Gladly, the entities did not intend to harm anyone; just telling the owners of the house that they are there.

When I was in my younger years, I see some faces (ugly and hard to describe). I know they are not "good ones". But prayers can make them leave in your house and in your mind. Prayers, prayers.:-)

Regards.
rookdygin (24 stories) (4458 posts)
+2
8 years ago (2016-05-18)
Hummm well. Interesting history... Lets start with the feeling of being watched... Feeling creepy.

Have you ever had the home tested for high EMF levels? These can cause a sensitive individual to experience feelings of being 'watched', creeped out and may even cause rashes or tingly, itchy skin as well as other symptoms such as halucinations. So there may not be a spirit in the home at all.

The flip side of this coin is this... The HIGH EMF levels, if they exist, can provide energy that a spirit can use to manifest, which of course can have the same effects as those listed above. A Journal can help sort out what may be going on but a EMF Sweep of the home may really help pinpoint possible 'hot spots'.

As far as your Half-Brother..."being very interested and involved with Satanic things and Ouija boards, out of interest and stupid teenage curiosity."

This may or may not have anything to do with what is being experienced in the home. The 'green hand' being seen by two different individuals is a strong indication that there WAS a spirit in the house, at least at one time but the young age of you and your brother at the time seems to 'preclude' this from being connected to his 'occult interests'. Not every attempt to make contact works... Or if contact happens to be made not every spirit lingers.

So, places to start/things to do. Check the EMF level (s) in the home, start a Journal. Compare 'notes/stories' with EVERYONE in the home, include visitors and see if any 'odd experiences' either repeat or have been experienced by more than one individual. This will help determine just what may be going on in your home.

Please keep us posted and thanks for sharing.

Respectfully,

Rook
matsaw (2 stories) (38 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
This is just my opinion, your brother probably invited some unwanted entities to your home playing with that Ouija board. Those things are not toys and if you don't know what you're doing, you could unleash total hell in your house.
Mazzmarach (2 stories) (78 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Ahoy. I'm not saying that there isn't anything in your house - there probably is - but I'm thinking a lot of what you're experiencing is suggestion or you psyching yourself up with an overactive imagination. Of course, I'm only saying that because I get similar - milder - feels in my home and they only escalate when I think about them. I'm scared of the unknown - frankly, I'm scared about what could happen that I'm not prepared for. The minute I accepted that whatever happens will happen, it's become less frightening and more interesting.
Don't be afraid to try a little something outside of what you know; personally, I think the main reason why we Catholics are told not to meddle with spirits is because we don't have the training (that's what priests are for). Thankfully, there are bunch of people on this site that know how to deal with things like this, and may have even seen something similar in their youths.

Go with God.
Mazz
Jessie12 (21 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
If you are feeling uneasy then it is most likely demonic. I am a christian, and I believe if you tell it to leave and you mean it, then it will leave. 😊

Hope I am helping
rescueblonde (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
I'm not familiar with a smudging ceremony. I've never tried communicating with it either. I've been raised Catholic and we're taught not to engage in things like that, rather to pray and trust in God. I'm open to trying other things but frankly I'm scared to communicate with it in case it may be something demonic which could make it worse.
Jessie12 (21 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Your thoughts aren't scrambled! During my investigations I work with people that have the same problems as you are having. Have you ever tried a smudging ceremony? And have you ever tried to communicate with the spirit watching you?

-Jessie
rescueblonde (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
Hi Jessie!
I really don't remember a ton about the green hand. It was somewhat transparent and looked more like a man's hand than a woman's. It looked like the silhouette of a human hand but I couldn't make out finger nails or anything. I guess I'd describe it looking like a shadow.
As for being watched, I feel as if there is someone in the room. When I was young, it was hard for me to discern where I felt the "someone" was but now I can usually tell where I feel like it's coming from. My dog and I are very close and he's extremely protective. I've noticed a few times he'll explode and start barking or growling at seemingly nothing but it's usually somewhere in the vicinity of where I think the "someone" is. I don't think whatever it is is malicious, I think I'm just scared. Sometimes it feels like there's something watching me from behind a door or it's peeking up at me from behind furniture in our loft that overlooks our dining room. I hate the hallway upstairs because it just feels like there is someone at the end of the hall watching my bedroom door. Or sitting outside my bedroom window. That's why I always have my curtains blocking the window. I hate taking showers in the bathroom on the middle floor because sometimes I'll get out and there will be a handprint in the fog on the mirror or it'll look like someone dragged their finger across it.
The bathroom on the top floor is at the end of the hall that I hate. My dogs refuse to go in there and can't even be bribed with treats. They've never been bathed in there and they love bath time anyway so that's not it. That side of the house has a very disturbing feeling that I can't shake.

Sorry if my thoughts are really scrambled! There's so many details to include and it's hard to write them all out neatly.
Jessie12 (21 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-05-17)
You are a great writer! I'm Jessie, and well when I was your age I saw many unexplainable things. I had a "friend" that only I could see. He made me feel scared, and uneasy. I am now 19, and things have not gotten better, but now I do my own investigations. Can you tell me anything else about that green hand you saw? And that feeling of being watched? I would like to try and help 😊

-jessie

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: