You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Always Seems To Be The Basement

Real Ghost Stories

Always Seems To Be The Basement

 

I live in a 92 year old house, just outside of Chicago. We have lived there for 14 years now and have had some strange stuff from time to time that would occur. At times, there would be years before something happened. The main area of activity seems to be our basement. My nephew was down there recently doing some work and he got quite a scare. He had no fear and I never told him any stories about activity in the house. He said he heard two people, a man & a woman whispering to each other very close to him. He stopped working and just sat in silence and listened and he could hear a conversation being whispered between two people. They were probably observing him and wondering what he was doing? When the whispering stopped, he felt his lower back get red hot and that's when he sort of screamed and ran upstairs. He refused to go down there alone after, so I had to accompany him.

My husband would sometimes sleep down there on a futon in the summer when it was too hot upstairs. He's a big guy and a former Marine and does NOT scare easily. One night at 2:00 a.m., I heard him pounded up the stairs really quickly. He said he heard 2 people talking behind him and one he thought was a woman. He heard footsteps approaching his back and suddenly, felt something pass right through him. He said it was an indescribable feeling, just like electricity from head to toe. Needless to say, he got out of there fast!

I go down at night to do laundry and definitely look around a lot! I've so far, never encountered or heard anything. 2 of our dogs will never go down there, but our third dog goes down like nothing.

I just don't understand if they come and go, but most of all why would they hang around some old basement? Very strange.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, agatha23, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Kest (12 stories) (55 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-01-02)
I wonder if you could record them next time you hear them like with a cell phone and see if you can get any words from it. However, if you did find out anything it might make you too scared to stay. You say you've lived there for 14 years. Has this gone on the entire time you've lived there or is it recent?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-15)
This is a silly thought but it sounds like the ghosts in 'Beetlejuice' - knocking about in the attic (basement in your case)! Too bad no one has managed to make out what they were saying. Maybe leave an EVP recorder down there for a few nights?
DoubleA (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-12)
I have never lived in a house with a basement and suffice to say I never want to
Darkangel73 (4 stories) (127 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-11)
Manafon1- I also heard that about spirits. I always make my presence known when I enter a knowingly haunted area I don't want any unwanted surprises!
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-10)
If the disembodied voices are having the same conversation every time they are heard, that would be residual, right?

I have had three instances of hearing voices, but could not determine the conversation.
Enlightened1959 (8 stories) (118 posts)
+2
7 years ago (2016-12-08)
Agatha,

I've had experiences like this and they were all in the basement of our homes. I agree with Manafon, spirits must like to stay where there aren't as many people.
Infikiran (1 stories) (15 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-08)
agatha23, thanks for sharing. Honestly don't know how I would react to hearing the voices if it were my house. There's a part of me that would probably be fearful of it, but in another way as long as it's not malevolent I may welcome it. A lot could be learned from the spirits if they're willing to interact with you:).

Use caution though; you don't want to invite unfriendly spirits in the process.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-08)
Oh yeah I meant to stick a PS on the end of that...
PS
Manafon, please do share your paranormal investigation disembodied voice thing some time. *thumbs up*
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-08)
Hi Agatha,

This is exactly what I don't get, why do some ghosts like hanging around basements. 😕 Manafon seems to have answered that, makes a lot of sense when you think about it.

Like Curly, I also find it curious about the haunted house declaration in America, when there's no solid proof that hauntings technically exist.

Also, like Argette, I'd be more worried about creepy crawlies than ghosts (I seem to be very agreeable today!)

Bit concerned about the physical sensations experienced by the two people who've heard these voices. I don't think this is cause for too much concern. But I would recommend setting some boundaries if this happens again.
Disembodies voices have always freaked me out for some reason. Not based on anything, just find it scary. But lately I heard some whispering, similar to how you describe, and it didn't scare me at all. I don't scare easily when it comes to ghosts, with the exception of disembodied voices. Anywhoo, there seemed to be two, maybe three voices and they were commenting on what I was doing at the time. So I'm wondering if your nephew and husband remember, or if they heard what was said and did it make sense to them?

Cool narrative, thanks for sharing. 😊
Argette (guest)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-07)
I avoid most basements, mainly because of spiders and the potential for mold, since I have an allergy.

The thought of hearing a ghostly conversation in a basement is truly terrifying. Can you delve into the history of your house? Might reveal some clues...
Curly_1Lack (2 stories) (21 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2016-12-07)
Hi agatha,
Thanks for sharing! We lived in a 100 year old house in the 90's and never experienced anything besides wood floors creaking. I did have a few VERY strange dreams, but can't pinpoint the reason behind those. The young couple that bought the house from us swear it was haunted. You know the funny thing is that legally, you have to tell potential home buyers that your house is haunted, but scientists and skeptics don't want to admit that ghosts exist. As far as you or myself not having experiences and others experiencing them, maybe spirits react differently to different people. As far as basements go, for some reason evil spirits tend to lurk in basements. Thank God we don't have basements in Texas because I would have to carry a Crucifix and a bazooka every time I went in it!
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+6
7 years ago (2016-12-07)
agatha23--Welcome to YGS. I enjoyed reading your account of voices in the basement of your house. Some have speculated that if a house has resident spirits that they prefer to habitate areas that have the least activity. Basements and attics naturally fall into this category.

Back in the mid 1990s I was involved with a paranormal investigation group and we did an investigation at a restaurant in the Chicago suburb of Westmont. A woman named Elizabeth and I were on the second floor, which was an area used by employees and for storage. There were several rooms. Long story short, we had been sitting in a well lit room when quite suddenly there were two voices, a man and a woman's, at a normal conversational volume from the well lit room next door to where we were sitting. We had full view of the room and it was empty but the voices continued in conversation until we walked towards the room and it just as suddenly stopped. We both found it exhilarating but I can understand having a different point of view about disembodied voices in your own basement. Especially when accompanied by red hot lower back pain or the feeling of something passing right through one's body.

My wife and I also heard a woman's voice in a basement bedroom emanating from the space between a pillow and my wife's temporarily raised head in a house we were staying at. It can be a bit jarring but it seems spirits do occasionally observe and sometimes attempt to interact with the living. Why, as in your case, there can be years between incidents probably has something to do with time not being a consideration for the curious spirit. When your two spirits make themselves known, it does seem like they enjoy the element of surprise. If by chance you ever hear them, instead of running, try to say something like, "I can hear you, is there something you would like to let me know?" By conversing instead of fleeing, you let them know you are aware of them and not frightened (even if you are). Might also be worthwhile to speak aloud when you're in the basement doing laundry to let your invisible visitors know that you now live there but they are welcome to visit as long as they don't go out of their way to freak people out.

By talking to them, they might come to realize you are there to stay and that everyone can get along. Now if that only worked for the human race...

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: