You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Visit From A Fallen Soldier

Real Ghost Stories

Visit From A Fallen Soldier

 

This story takes place around D-Day (June 1944). When my Grandpa was a young boy (no older than 10), his uncle was in WWII, and one of the thousands who died on the European beach fronts (not sure if Omaha or not). However, the story of his death also takes place in the bedroom of my young Grandad (we'll call him F). F told me this story personally. He was a very sincere man, and not one to lie about paranormal events.

It was very late in the night and F was in an upstairs attic/bedroom with his brother. The two shared a room and were well on their ways to sleep. F was awakened when he noticed his uncle (his mother's brother who was in the war) enter the room. His uncle came over to where he was laying and was attempting to give F pennies. He didn't know why pennies.

A few moments later, F's mother walked into the room (was it instinct or coincidence? I don't know). She saw the scene which she knew was impossible: her brother was in the room interacting with F. Frightened and shocked, she exclaimed, "---, what are you doing here?!" The soldier then turned and left the room (he either disappeared through the wall or walked past F's mom out the bedroom door).

It wasn't but a few days later when F's family received the news that her brother had been killed by opposing forces in Europe, the very same night both she and F saw him in the bedroom.

I apologize for the unclean details in this story, as they were told by my Grandad and I can't remember exactly what was going through his mind at the time and he himself was young. Though, I think it is amazing that both him and my Great-Grandmother shared this experience (it really validates the encounter). My Mom tells me that both of them were very susceptible to the paranormal, which I why I believe they both saw my great uncle, while F's brother who was in the same room did not.

I am still curious as to why my great uncle was offering my Grandad pennies of all things. They were not poor.

Other hauntings by MNgirl97

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Minnesota

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MNgirl97, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

MNgirl97 (4 stories) (5 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-22)
Thanks everyone for the replies!
[at] AugustaM [at] CuriousDee:
Wow, I had no idea about that song! I will have to listen to it; what an interesting (possible) connection! And thank you for the link - I'm checking it out. Its good to finally have other people's ideas/thoughts about this.
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-20)
I just remembered something; There is a tradition (in the US, not sure if it is in other countries) that involves leaving coins at a veterans burial site. A penny signifies a visit to the deceased. I found out about it after my cousin (a veteran) passed away. He is in close proximity to my mother's site and I couldn't figure out why there were coins on his marker until I did some research. Here's a link with information if you're interested:

Https://www.texvet.org/postings/coins-left-tombstones
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-19)
This makes me think of the theory "Pennies from heaven". It's a sign of loved ones visiting. Of course, this incident would be a quite blatant example of that. 😊
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+4
6 years ago (2018-04-19)
"Pennies from Heaven" was a very popular song back then. I think he was trying to tell them that he was in heaven with those pennies.
Spockie (8 stories) (203 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-17)
Of course, I don't know, but I think the spirit was trying to give your grandad pennies because he wanted him and the family to have something to remember him by, and pennies were probably all he had in his pocket when he died. Just a theory.
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-16)
Hi MNgirl97!

Thank you for sharing this personal story of yours. Overall it was a good read and hopefully, we can read more stories from you!

Regards,
Zaruje

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: