You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Kid In My Basement

Real Ghost Stories

The Kid In My Basement

 

The house that I live in now with my family has an unfinished basement. This is the first house we've ever lived in that had a basement because they were not common in homes in the little town in New Mexico where we are originally from. This basement has always been creepy to me. Most likely because having a basement was a new thing for me and because it wasn't too cozy or home like.

Our laundry room is in the basement. I'm never too thrilled to go down there but hey, the laundry isn't going to do itself. My two youngest children are ages 10 and 6. They can be pranksters with each other, their teenage siblings and me and my husband. Sometimes, before we would enter a room, they would scurry off to find a hiding spot, say behind the couch, and we would play along acting as if we didn't see them saying "Hmmm Where's Devin? I could have sworn I just heard him. Where could he be?" And he or both of them would pop out laughing. They've done this in the basement a time or two while we'd be down there clearing out boxes and items in preparation of finishing the space.

I was taking the clothes out of the dryer and began putting the newly  washed clothes in. From the corner of my eye I saw what looked like one of my younger children playfully leap off of the last step of the staircase and scurry around the corner in to the open/den area of our basement. It happened so fast but it was clear enough to make me believe that one of my kids was up to their games. I wasn't necessarily in a playful mood and I just felt a little...odd. I yelled, "Well here, come help me with this." I didn't hear anything and I didn't want to look around the corner to check so, instead, I rushed upstairs with my laundry basket to find every member of my immediate family upstairs in the kitchen.

Since then, I will not go down there by myself. I haven't told my children about what I saw. I don't want to freak them out.

Other hauntings by Phoenix35

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Missouri

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Phoenix35, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CuriousNEwoman (14 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-06-16)
Well this particular event didn't seem hurtful... Seems like a kids at play... I have been in many homes with unfinished basements. As I have lived half my life in Iowa and the other half in nebraska, and they are common in these areas due to tornados. There have been "areas" in each basement that are creepy but not the whole basement over all.

Please let us know of anymore situations... There are so many intelligent people on this site that can aid you in how to cope. (I am not one of them however, I am a novice...I've never had anything scary happen to me. I am just curious and learning as I read stories and the comments)
I hope you take actions to stop these events from happening if they are scary. Good luck in those actions.
❤ blessed be ❤
Phoenix35 (2 stories) (1 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-05-03)
Hi guys! Sorry I'm so late responding. [at] MsTeek LOL!
[at] AugustaM, I just recently bought some crystals and we have crosses everywhere except for downstairs.
SO, I have experienced other paranormal activities before. MANY... For years. And not just in my current home. Past homes, my mother in laws home, my places of employment etc... I'll have to share more stories! The neighborhood kids ring the doorbell if they want to play. I do have a walk out basement but we keep that door locked. We also have an alarm system so if that particular door is opened while the  alarm is armed, it goes off immediately without the 30 second grace period. Besides the laundry room and other rooms down there, there is a breaker box, our water heater, and a TV (wiring). The lighting sucks, or I guess, the wiring because the light in the laundry room flickers like in the movies haha. As if the idea of an unfinished basement isn't creepy enough! Thanks for the input everyone!
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
6 years ago (2018-04-19)
Maybe putting something down there for "protection" might help you feel a little less jumpy doing laundry. Depending on where your beliefs lie anything from a bundle of specific herbs/plants (blackberry and rowan for example), certain stones/crystals (such as quartz), holy water, icons, statuettes, crucifix, photographs of beloved ancestors - to any combination of the above. You can dress it up like its a bit of decoration to cheer up the place so it doesn't frighten your kids and let's face it, a little sprucing up could only do a lonely unfinished basement good. That way no matter if this is a resident spirit or a one-off thing, you have something to spread positive vibes.

If you don't mind my asking, what else is in the basement in terms of appliances etc. Fuse/breaker box, hot water heater, AC, wiring, etc? Many of these can produce strong electro magnetic fields, which when interacting with the human body can produce a false sense of uneasiness and being watched. Just something to keep in mind. 😉
MsTeek (4 stories) (8 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-19)
Hopefully if you stop going down there the ghost will get bored and start doing the laundry for you 😂
CuriousDee (8 stories) (631 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-19)
Phoenix35,

It's hard to say if something paranormal is going on if this was a one time thing. You didn't mention any other activity, so hopefully it was a fluke or trick of the lighting.

Thanks for sharing 😊
priya- (1 stories) (19 posts)
+1
6 years ago (2018-04-19)
Hi Phoenix35, it is so mother nature not to tell such weird experience to kids; but do you recall anything such mentioned by your children or spouse?
Since you mentioned basement is unfinished, so could it be a possibility that one of the friends of your kids might have come there to hide?
Otherwise, perhaps house history or previous owners' details might help you identify the small playful apparition.
Hope nothing serious!
Zaruje (15 stories) (182 posts)
 
6 years ago (2018-04-18)
Hello there Phoenix35!

That's really scary. Basements already are a scary place for me. But with the paranormal thing going on, that's one hell you got there.

Can't wait to read more stories from you!

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: