You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Footsteps In The Iridescent Building

Real Ghost Stories

Footsteps In The Iridescent Building

 

I live in a small provincial town (you might even call that a settlement) in the depths of Russia. Like many semi-rural places all over the world, this one (let's call it K.) feels the impact of urbanization, which I personally do not find all that healthy of a process. Over the last two decades, lots and lots of shops and small shopping points have been opening in K., far more than necessary to provide its people with all sorts of goods. One of such points is named "Iridescent" ("Raduzhniy" in Russian) supposedly after the color of its walls - which don't actually resemble a rainbow spectrum, and are instead rather boring stripes of beige, gradating from light to dark.

For some reason, I sincerely hated going to that particular place. Iridescent houses mainly clothing stores, but also a gardening shop and a hairdresser. It was solely the latter I visited the place for. The hairdresser, let's call her L, is a very gentle lady who knows me since the early childhood. I always felt that she has a very kind soul, and I think that I am very lucky to trust my hair to such a person. Now, L previously worked in another building, which is also a local post office, this was the place of her work for many, many years - but she was forced to move to Iridescent recently. Needless to say, I wasn't feeling good about going there even if it was still L who worked with my hair.

I just couldn't explain what exactly I felt wasn't right with this building. Speaking objectively, it was fairly new and hastily built, so the interior wasn't comfortable at all, and the corridors between the shops were quite narrow. But it wasn't just that. When I was there once, I had to meet a rather disagreeable person, which further worsened my impressions. Then I ended up having some awkward conversation with people I barely know. Those could've been just common, unfortunate encounters, yet I just couldn't help feeling very uneasy about all this - but L seemed to be fine, and I still felt more or less okay in her presence.

Then a bit later I learned that L moved her business to a place that was just outside Iridescent. It was the first floor of a cafe, I think. That still didn't go well with me, and soon for L as well. During this period I noticed that the cafe on the ground floor attracted many shady types - alcoholics, and possibly thugs. But this was almost typical for this neighborhood. What I wasn't expecting was L getting kicked out of her new place. She told me, while unsuccessfully trying to cover her tears, that the property owner asked an enormous sum as a rent. Soon she moved to a completely different place, far from Iridescent. I was feeling very sorry for her, but at the same time I was also genuinely content about not having to go there anymore.

When I first visited L's business at the new place, we talked a little about the reasons why she was forced to move. Then, among other things, she mentioned the strange occurrences she experienced while working at Iridescent. The traders, including her, were frequently hearing footsteps in places where were no customers or traders or anyone else. The building has multiple floors, and apparently the upper section was temporarily empty and nobody was using it for some time. Yet this was where the sounds were coming from. According to L, the footsteps were fairly distinct. Some people also reported their wares being moved, clothes on display touched as if by invisible hand. Then someone mentioned that a terrible crime happened on this location long ago - a girl was raped and murdered. They didn't find who did it. The rumor goes that the place is haunted by this girl's restless ghost. I've been told that earlier this piece of land was occupied by a school, perhaps it all happened there. Between this period and Iridescent, the place was simply devoid of any constructions.

I told L about disliking the place in general, and she wasn't surprised, only telling me that perhaps I can sense these things. I would call myself a very sensitive person in general, so this could be true, maybe I was repelled by the ghost's energy. Of course, one can discard my feelings as subjective altogether and call minor unlucky events, and perhaps even L's bad luck with her business in Iridescent Building a series of coincidences - but in conjunction with the history of this place and the unexplained sounds and movements, a picture is forming. And that picture still gives me chills. Especially that the building is still there to this day.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, violet_sunrise, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

violet_sunrise (1 stories) (3 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-08-31)
I'm glad to hear the description worked! Thank you, I do enjoy writing in general (wish I had more inspiration for it though). Maybe there will be more stories from me in the future, we'll see...
RSAChick (115 posts)
 
5 years ago (2019-08-27)
Thanks for the reply, violet_sunrise. I can picture the building from your description and I get a very heavy feeling from it.

Hope you have more stories to share! I enjoy your writing style.
violet_sunrise (1 stories) (3 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-26)
Hello RSAChick, thank you for taking your time to read it, I appreciate that!

I'm afraid I don't have the picture of it, today the internet maps might provide adequate image even for such an obscure location, but I'd rather not disclose the coordinates this way for privacy reasons. Thank you for understanding. In the future, though, I might take a picture of it myself, if I have one, I'll let you know!

I'll try to describe it in more detail - as this is actually a modern, cheap building, it makes heavy use of outdoor plastic panels, so the beige stripes I'm talking about are in fact made of this material - they aren't painted right on concrete walls or something similar that you might expect from an older building. It's just colored plastic coverage, the palette is coincidentally pretty close to the colors used by this site's design, but maybe slightly more washed out shades. It's very far from what a rainbow looks like, that's for sure! I hope that makes sense and helps you at least imagine the place's looks more easily.

Iridescent Building is also covered with various ad banners promoting some services, and I think there was also a stereotypical "happy family" photo above the entrance, but it's not there anymore. Right behind the building there's an apartment complex the construction of which was stalled for many years, leaving behind some rather creepy ruins, but it's been finished and modernized relatively recently.

Oh yes, I think it's wise to stay out of trouble if the inner voice tells us to back away...
RSAChick (115 posts)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-26)
Hi violet_sunrise, I very much enjoyed your story.

I know you do not want to share the name of your settlement, but I am curious to see what this building looks like.

If you feel comfortable with sharing a link to an image of the building, that would be great! But I understand if you don't want to.

Avoid the places exuding bad energy if you can!
violet_sunrise (1 stories) (3 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-08-25)
Hello everyone, thanks for reading my story, I'm glad you found it interesting!

I do believe there are many haunted places or just spots of intense, concentrated psychic energy here in Russia. Our country's history is full of troubles and suffering, unfortunately. I think there's a lot of similar traces left by restless souls, especially in small settlements like ours. Lately I'm very concerned that people became very insensitive to the supernatural, always adhering to the technocratic kind of thinking and considering magic and related concepts only in context of popular entertainment. As a result, many important things go unnoticed as our life goes by...

MrsRamsay, I think this kind of experiences indicates that we do have a very different perception of the world when we are younger. We are not easily fooled by the imposed standards at this age, including concept of physical beauty. I believe that kids tend to have a very strong spiritual vision due to this, they sort of "pierce" this superficial veil we live in. As for intuition, I'm very fascinated with this power of the human mind. My mother has very strong intuition, she can even have premonitions sometimes, and I always appreciate her "seer's advice". Oftentimes it turned to be true and helped us both to avoid trouble. Intuition is wonderful, I do agree that it might be one of those mysterious aspects of our nature that were designed to warn us of danger.

Bibliothecarius, thank you for the deep theoretical interpretation of my and L's encounter. I've heard a few things about infrasound before, and I actually do have a mild interest in acoustics, so I would say it might be possible that sound vibrations, among other things, were responsible for my uneasiness. My settlement was actually founded around a railway station that is still active, but I'd say it isn't close enough to Iridescent. But, as you say, even the trucks in regular road traffic nearby can contribute to it. Usually, whenever I feel there's something wrong about the place, I reflect on my emotional state to find out what's causing it. I try to keep an open-minded approach, thus I like to learn some facts about the location before drawing conclusions, and in case with Iridescent, it made sense to me that my experience could link with its history. Thank you for the advice, it sounds quite useful, I'll try that next time I find myself in a similar situation. I support the idea that there's more than one way to perceive the world, I do believe that people shouldn't feel reserved about things irrational and mysterious, and it's great that this site encourages this point of view, while also letting people share their stories!
Bibliothecarius (9 stories) (1091 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2019-08-25)
Greetings, violet_sunrise, and welcome.

I'm going to agree with MrsRamsay's response; sometimes there are multiple facts that we only notice subconsciously. If enough of those facts are present, we begin to feel uncomfortable, even though we've not got a clear idea of what is making us feel like something is not right.

Narrow hallways compress sound and make people feel somewhat trapped, but that would only apply to the *Iridescent* building, not to the other locations. Waves of infra-sound, meaning sounds so deep that we cannot hear them, may also be a factor; we can *feel* the sound passing through a structure & through our bodies, and it seems strange because our brain is telling us that there is a sound but our ears tell us there is not. This would most likely occur if construction work was being performed, if there is a nearby road with heavy trucks, or if a freight train runs on a track close to the building.

These points are not an effort to dismiss your account; they are *possible* causes for you to determine why they explain --or do not explain-- your experience. If they are not possible (for example, the train track is on the other side of town), please let us know.

The truth may be, as L said, you "can sense these things." Sometimes, our awareness within a place is the residual strong feelings, good or bad, left by other people. Have you tried sitting in different locations around town to see how you feel in those places? Obviously, do *not* go to the cafe filled with alcoholics & thugs! Go to different places, sit down by yourself and try to relax your mind. How does each place "feel" to you while you sit there? Try doing this in buildings and outdoors. Some places may seem more comfortable than others. If being there for 5-10 minutes does not feel particularly different, move on to another place.

There are many of us here on YGS who have different "abilities," "senses," or "intuitions." I can tell you that the feelings we pay attention to do get stronger over time. This is not something to fear; it is a different way of learning about the world around us.

I did enjoy reading your experience. I look forward to reading more from you.

Best,
Biblio.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+2
5 years ago (2019-08-25)
Hello from the U.S.! I've always been intrigued by your country and your story is so interesting! I have always felt certain places were strange to me as well, since I was a small girl. I suppose we all do this based on first impressions, but some of my most memorable negative places were actually very pretty places, which made no sense. My daughter also, when she was small, would tell me not to drive down certain streets. I would ask why and she would say, "These houses are dirty" when in fact there was nothing about them that looked "dirty." Some kind of an imprint perhaps, just the remains of a feeling? Perhaps its a way our intuition keeps us safe?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: