You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Guarded By My Hero In A Green Beret

Real Ghost Stories

Guarded By My Hero In A Green Beret

 

Of all the strange coincidences and things that have happened in relation to the loss of many loved ones over the years, the one that intrigues me the most is something that started in 1969 but that I never realized until just recently -- the repeated appearance of a strange man, dressed as a United States Special Forces soldier, who I believe could be some kind of angel or guardian.

I've written about my husband, Scott, who passed away in 1993 at a very young age with brain cancer. When he was very ill at one time during the five years of his struggle, I had gone to my parents' home a few miles away to help them paint their basement and taken my two toddlers with me, which gave us a break from the chaos that our home had become.

If you can picture someone with brain damage, which I liken to dementia or Alzheimer's, but in a very healthy (except the brain) body of a 33 year old military man, that's what we were dealing with at the time. He still had some great moments, though his personality was changed by his tumor and we had some scary moments because of his military training... We just sort of got in the way of his semi-psychotic episodes sometimes and would have to go visit Mom for a little relief, which is what this painting trip was.

I vaguely remember we'd just been to the doctor and had been told that he could live like this for another six months, or the cancer might take ten years or more to eventually kill him. I was 30 at the time, and will be honest when I tell you that possibility was one of the most devastating to me. We were all exhausted from this insidious disease that had taken our charismatic fighter pilot and turned him into a guy who couldn't change a vacuum cleaner bag, not to mention every now and then he thought we were some kind of enemy (this was during the Gulf War, when all his friends were busy doing their jobs, but we were home with two babies and a daddy with cancer). I was probably at my low point, changing diapers and trying to imagine ever having a normal life, but I loved him and was not about to leave or anything.

So on this particular day, we'd gone to Mom's and left him home to watch TV. We chatted about the Gulf War as we painted, as my little brother was deployed also, also a fighter pilot. We heard the back doorbell ring and Mom went upstairs to answer it, but came racing back down shortly. She was frantic. There was a uniformed military guy at our back door, and she immediately jumped to the conclusion my brother had been hurt or killed. I said I would go to the door, and walked directly upstairs to take the brunt of whatever news this man had.

I could see him through the back door window, in full dress uniform with his green beret. I knew he was of the WRONG military service. My brother was a Marine. So as I opened the door I sort of said, "Can I help you?" The man, who I can barely describe -- handsome, military, polite, formal -- didn't introduce himself but said he was looking for Scott (my husband). Those are the only words I remember him saying. I stood there and answered, "He's at home taking a nap today." And then the conversation was just over. I closed the door and went back downstairs to tell my parents it had nothing to do with my brother. And that was the end of that, for many years.

Scott died maybe a year, maybe just a few months later, I can't remember the timeline... I didn't give this another thought.

Fast forward 22 years. We were headed from the funeral home to the nearby cemetery to bury Mom and we'd gotten in the car, the second one back from the hearse. My brother and his family were in the car ahead of us. All of a sudden, as the hearse was about to drive off, my brother jumps out of his car and gestures wildly. I get out and inquire: What are you DOING? He tells me that the song, "Ballad of the Green Berets" just came on his radio. It was a song we'd listened to hudreds of times as kids on our little record player and connected with our dad, who was an Army pilot who'd died in Vietnam). My brother, a very serious person and skeptic of the paranormal, immediately said, "I have to believe that means Dad was there for Mom and they're trying to let us know they're ok by somehow getting this song played." It was crazy... A 60s song playing in 2013. Now, years later, you can't get him to say that again, but I remember how amazed he was at the time.

That incident at Mom's funeral caused me to remember the Green Beret soldier who had come to Mom's door that day in the early 90s asking about my husband. I started wondering for the first time: why did he go to my parents' house, when the military wouldn't have known any connection between them and my husband? Why not just inquire at our house? Why didn't I talk to the guy? I talk to everybody, especially military people?! Why didn't he explain why he was there? How did he get there... No car, back door, can't explain how he left? Mom's home was rather isolated and off the main drag, how could he have specifically known to ask there for Scott? It made zero sense. And why didn't any of us question it at the time?

Talking about it one day with my new husband over coffee on a weekend morning, I also remembered this: when I was 8 years old, just after Dad died in Vietnam, I had bad stomachaches and missed a lot of school. Mom took me one day to the nearby base commissary (the grocery store) and there was this guy. Maybe the SAME guy, dressed in military dress uniform with a green beret on his head... Someone we knew as kids was SPECIAL, like a HERO. And at some point I was alone in a grocery aisle with that man, and he looked at me as a little girl and a feeling of complete peace and wellness comes to my memory. It had been significant in my childhood... What I remember is feeling very special just to have been in the same aisle with this man (who never said a word to me by the way).

Now, at age 59, I wonder if these separate incidents are all related somehow and whether this was the same guy. If this is an angel, does he appear to me as a hero from my childhood? Our family's history of military service goes all the way back to Europe and I mean WAY back (I'm a genealogist). And I've often felt perhaps I have been a man (rather than a woman) in a past life... Probably a military man. I know how weird that sounds, and I'm not even into past lives or reincarnation.

Finally, last year when I was painting a bedroom (always painting, right?) I was thinking about all this while listening to my Amazon Alexa (Christmas music) and suddenly said: "If I do have an angel, won't you send me some sign?" And right then, the line from the Christmas song, "We Need a Little Christmas" played: "...and I need a little angel, sitting on my shoulder..." It happened so fast, I almost missed it, then almost fell off my ladder!

PS, one last thing: on my first date with Scott, I asked him what he did in the military. I knew I liked him. He said, "Do you know what a Green Beret is?" SO of course, that is also significant. He was primarily a pilot when we met, but he had recently graduated from U.S. Army Special Forces School... Or Green Beret training. Is all this connected? I feel it is.

Hauntings with similar titles

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, MrsRamsay, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-18)
MrsRamsay, I think that is so true. I haven't had all that many unexplained things happen, but with pretty much all of them, there's like this blank in my mind, where I can't remember if I really talked about the experiences at the time. It's as if that part just falls into a black hole or something.

P.s. I was an X-Files junkie too. So much so that I couldn't bring myself to watch it when they brought it back years later. Just wouldn't have been the same. 🤔
MrsRamsay (guest)
+3
4 years ago (2020-03-18)
Veronica,
Someone once told me (I'm a Christian) that it says in the Bible that God does not want us dealing in the realm of the dead. I could not tell you what verse (I'm not that well read in the Bible). But every since then, I've thought that one reason the details are so fuzzy is that we're not really supposed to connect the dots and/or remember. Same thing as when I try to find photos in my computer that I know I've saved that show paranormal-looking activity. Many times I can't find the one I'm looking for, it's simply NOT there! After so many times for me, however, I am starting to take notes at the time... With dreams, incidents or whatever. I'm a writer, so I write them down and also have files (I jokingly call X-Files, yes I was a fan) so they're all in one place. Believe me, next time I run into this Green Beret I'm going to be warning those I love to be careful and I'm going to interview the guy BIG TIME! And probably thank him also. Wish me luck!
VeronicaMarie (5 stories) (106 posts)
 
4 years ago (2020-02-28)
MrsRamsay, what seems so striking to me is the way the Green Beret's visit to your parents' house that day is sort of blurry to you. As in, you don't remember really saying goodbye, or anything other than telling him that your husband was taking a nap. Almost as if the man wasn't really quite there, if that makes sense. I found your story after reading your message to me in another post, where you suggested I read this story. So interesting how years later that memory was triggered for you, and you were puzzled over his appearance, and how you acted out of character by basically just closing the door instead of being curious and engaging him in conversation, as you normally would. That is so like the feeling I had in my story that you commented on. Decades later we're left wondering just what happened and why we acted so casual at the time. I'm wondering if some part of us knows at the time that it's something beyond our understanding, that we know not to question in that moment. Thanks for sharing such a compelling series of events.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-11-06)
I'm not a military brat and was born in the 1980s. Granted, I had heard the song before and I like the general genre of music (amongst many others) but its by no means something I listen to regularly (in fact, I haven't listened to music much in the last year or so as I've been on a podcast kick). I can comfortably say that I had not heard that song in well over a year at least.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+2
4 years ago (2019-11-01)
Augusta, hi! Interesting! I think the song held lots of meaning to may of us during the 1960s... You aren't a military brat are you? Were you familiar with it before?
MrsRamsay (guest)
 
4 years ago (2019-11-01)
LuciaJacinta, hello. No, it's interesting but I don't think I ever talked about it with my husband or anyone! And if you knew me, it seems almost impossible. I'm a talker! And if something is bothering me, or a mystery, I would certainly have talked about it. But it's like I just forgot about it for years. Only after Mom's funeral when the song played and my brother jumped out of the car because he heard that song did I think about it.

The man never came back to Mom's house. There was really no way anyone in the military would have known where to go... My parents' house was never listed on any records... Maybe Scott's parents' address was, but not his in-laws. He was not driving a car, just showed up at the back door. Funny, I even read a book about angels after Scott died (at least a year after the guy came to the door) but even then it never occurred to me that anything was "off" about that day. I read the book about how people have seen people who just disappeared after, yet it had happened to me and I never even made a connection! I sort of think that things of that nature are supposed to be fuzzy to us, maybe even for our own good. Or that's what I've come to believe over the years.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-30)
Did you ever ask your husband what the green beret wanted with him that day? Did he go over there? Did he come back on another day?
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-30)
Wow! All I can say is this experience might be a bit stronger than even you thought, Mrs Ramsay! The moment I clicked the forward arrow from the previous account to this, before I even saw the title, the "Ballad of the Green Beret" started playing in my head! When I saw the title had Green Beret in it, my next thought was to find the song on YouTube and post it with my comment... Can you imagine my surprise to find the song significant to the story? I think you are right to conclude something paranormal is going on!

Without further ado: https://youtu.be/Ysnd0bsrb8Q
jabond99 (3 stories) (61 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-28)
Mrs Ramsay,

I tried to find some reference on the internet to the spiritual task force that I know I remember hearing about from somewhere. However, I couldn't find anything.
Does anyone else agree with me that Google is getting so commercialized by putting commercial sites at the top of every search that it is almost becoming impossible to search for any information of value anymore? Well... At least it seems like the obscure stuff is being screened out somehow...

James Bond
MrsRamsay (guest)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-27)
Hi Jabond99 and Semper Fi! No, my dad was NOT in special forces, he was a helicopter pilot. But my first husband Scott was a graduate of the Army Special Forces School at Bragg and though he was a Marine (Force Recon) he was authorized to wear the beret (I keep it close in a drawer of my nightstand!) And you are so right, it doesn't make a lot of sense that my dad would show up wearing the green beanie. We just had that record by Barry Sadler as kids and it was always special to us and reminded us of Dad. My intuition is more that it's some kind of angel who has shown up at the two most trying times of my life and even though we didn't talk, well, maybe he somehow gave me some strength. At least enough to come out the other side as a stronger person. I am also VERY intrigued by the idea of a spiritual task force. It never occurred to me that this guy or entity or whatever who came to my parents' door might be part of something like that (there are a couple other events that have occurred though, which I do think could be explained by such a theory). I'd love to hear more if you can find some details. Thanks much for posting!
jabond99 (3 stories) (61 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2019-10-26)
Mrs Ramsay,

Separately, I am intrigued by your idea of a "spiritual task force" that would serve to go around helping those in spiritual distress. You mentioned this in one of your other stories, saying that your ex-husband may be one. I wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience with this concept. Somewhere (perhaps one of those late night talk shows) I have heard that something like this takes place as a secret military program (with live participants, not those departed). I'm not trying to start any conspiracy theories here, but your mentioning of that brought back my memories in that topic.

James Bond
jabond99 (3 stories) (61 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2019-10-26)
Hello Mrs Ramsay,

Thank you for your stories (as a military guy myself, I have went back and read with interest all you have posted).

Pertaining to your Hero in a Green Beret, I would like to ask whether your father was indeed in the Special Forces (Green Beret)? If he was, then it may well be him. However, if he wasn't then I suggest that it may not have been him. As you probably well know, the Green Beret is achieved by very few and is a mark of distinction even by those in the military. As such, I don't think anyone (including spirits) would be wearing the Green Beret unless it was earned. Sort of like wearing medals that one has not earned-most in the military would not do that. I believe that ethos would probably carry over to the spirit side as well.

Well, thanks for your stories and comments. I like to read those.

James Bond
MrsRamsay (guest)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-24)
Good morning! Thank you for your kind words. I suppose, compared to some, we've been through a lot, but my thoughts have always been something like, "Everyone goes through bad stuff... Just at different times in their lives." My "losses" are part of who I am and I value and treasure every single day of this life, and try to live it the best I can in honor of the ones I love who can't be here with me. Thanks for saying hi, Maria (Lealeigh). Wis.Lady, it truly never occurred to me before that this might be my dad! When I was young I would have these dreams -- rarely -- that he came home and I would run to him and he'd just hug me and tell me things were all right. I would wake up crying. But they seemed to stop as I got older. I haven't really felt him over these last couple decades, so it's intriguing to think that might be the way he gets in touch:) I did have a couple interesting moments when I first got the Internet... Times when somehow in "surfing" I ended up (for example) on his unit's home page, randomly and all of a sudden realizing that I was staring at a photo of him and his co-pilot on the page! I remember thinking, HOW THE HECK did I go from searching a recipe to a helicopter unit's memories of Vietnam?! I remember signing the guest book and almost immediately had an e-mail back from a guy who knew and flew with Dad, resulting in a long relationship with the men he knew in the 1960s. The world works in such mysterious ways, and that's one reason I believe I am accompanied and maybe even guided by those I've loved. That belief inspires me every day and is probably one of the reasons I ended up here. I live a very full and busy life and most people would never guess I believe in the paranormal, in fact those I mention things to are usually shocked that I would "go there." Sometimes I do doubt though... Like maybe I've seen way too many movies and my imagination has just been working overtime... But I don't think so.
WisconsinLady (1 stories) (52 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-24)
MrsRamsay,

First, I'd like to thank your husband, father, and all your military family members for their service. God bless you and your family for all your family has endured and all the sacrifices you all have made for our country. Also, thank you for your service as a child and spouse of military members. Your service at home must be filled with such moments of worry and grief that I can't understand. You are a strong woman!

This is what I was thinking about your awesome Green Beret guardian: Perhaps your Green Beret guardian is your father? He might come around when you need extra support or comfort. Or he may want to check in to make sure you're okay. He might not look like himself when you see him, because that would be startling, especially when you were a child at the store.
He could also be an angel/spirit guide that takes the form of a Green Beret, since you find comfort and strength in them.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
5 years ago (2019-10-23)
Hi MrsRamsay,

I think you're right about the connection.

I have read your other stories about your late husband, Scott. I've never commented before but I am very sorry for your loss.

Best Wishes, Maria ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: