You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: A Haunted House In The Country

Real Ghost Stories

A Haunted House In The Country

 

This happened to me so long ago that any details might be fuzzy but it's to the best of my recollection. I was a freshman in a high school that combined two grade schools so I was meeting a lot of new people. I met Jade, who was a sophomore, and we bonded over our love of animals and her quirky sense of humor. She invited me to spend the night at her place to go to a party that Friday night, so I took the school bus to her house after class let out with a packed bag and a promise my mom would pick me up the next day.

Jade's house was old. I can't say for sure how old but it was definitely from the 1800s. She lived there with her father, younger sister and brother and a cousin that lived in an elle that was closed off and had a separate entrance to the outside. Her mother had died of cancer when they were young. When we came in the front door of the main home, we walked into a parlor, which I had never seen before in my young life. It was decorated with fancy furniture, a piano and an old cathedral-style radio on top of the piano. The room had an air of disuse and a light layer of dust over it all.

We crossed the parlor into the old kitchen by means of a swinging door that separated the two rooms. The kitchen held a decent-sized farm table in its center, and we threw our book bags down on the chairs. She offered me some PB toast as a snack and I happily agreed. As we toasted the bread, the radio in the parlor came on, full blast. It was LOUD. I don't recall the station that came in but it was very loud music. We went back into the parlor and there it was, the radio, all by itself with no one around. Her brother and sister were younger and in the middle school so were not home yet. She turned it off with some lame excuse that static turned it on. I supposed it was logical enough. Except as we turned to go back into the kitchen, the swinging door started moving like someone had just pushed it from the other side. We burst into the kitchen, expecting to see her prankster brother or even her cousin but no one was there.

I insisted we go see her cousin since there was no other logical explanation for what we were experiencing. We went outside, around the corner of this large farmhouse to the separated elle and knocked. Her cousin let us in, where he had been working on an electrical problem with some music equipment. He was a rather large guy and not the least bit out of breath, like someone who had just run off after a prank. He looked like someone that spent far more time watching TV than running anywhere, quite frankly.

Less than an hour later her brother and sister came in off the bus. They didn't say anything as I described what had happened. Jade and I went to the party that night, I slept over and nothing untoward happened overnight. However, the next day a strong smell of lavender filled the yard as we walked to meet up with some other friends. When I remarked on the strong smell with no lavender bushes in sight, she finally told me her house was haunted. She was afraid I wouldn't stay overnight if I knew. I asked if it was her mother and she shook her head. She told me that when they moved in they started feeling this female energy around them and that minor things happened around the house-things moved, that sort of thing. Nothing threatening at all. Her mother (before she passed) found a bottle of perfume that had been left behind by the previous family. It smelled of lavender.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Connecticut

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, LFrog1386, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

CrimsonTopaz (1 stories) (239 posts)
 
8 months ago (2023-09-07)
LFrog1386,
You deserve happiness as does Jade. What you went through as kids is beyond comprehension. I'm so sorry you kids endured all that trauma. Hopefully Jade and her sister are healing and hopefully you are too.
Tweed makes some points that are right on the button saying, *There's no shame in self preservation.* Jade may have reached out for comfort not knowing you were also in a similar situation. Putting yourself first is nothing to feel guilty about. You can't help others if you're not able to deal with your own past.
Your story was so detailed and well written.
As Jubilee says, *Lavender is known to be therapeutic and calming*. Perhaps the spirit was trying to comfort all you kids.
God bless and I hope you have healed enough over time to be able to enjoy life.
LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2021-06-26)
Jubelee, it's an interesting idea that the ghost might have been trying to warn me off that house. At the same time, my presence protected my friend, if only for one night.

I'm very lucky that he didn't try and do something to me, truthfully.
Jubeele (26 stories) (895 posts)
+2
3 years ago (2020-11-02)
Hi LFrog, my heart goes out to Jade and her sister, and all victims of such horrific abuse. I'm glad that they found the strength to get away and hope that they've now found healing for themselves.

It certainly seems to me that there was a benign presence in the house. I got the impression that the loudness of the music from the radio was a warning for you to be on your guard in the place. Just as the swinging door was to get your attention. Spirits can try to influence, but have no control over an individual's free will, be it for good or evil. While this entity did not have the power to stop the abuse, it is likely that she did what she could to comfort them.

The scent of lavender does suggest to me of an older woman, or someone from a period when lavender was more widely used as a fragrance. Lavender is associated with healing, both in symbolism and its usage in aromatherapy infusions. Perhaps that was the message for Jade, as well as a kindly greeting to you. For healing.

Https://www.flowermeaning.com/lavender-flower-meaning/
LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-18)
silverthane61, I really wish I had been able to spend more time there. I was very interested in ghosts as a kid and the idea of being able to see more phenomena was thrilling to me. I wonder who lives there now-if Jade got the house after her father died or if a whole new family lives there now and if so, do they feel it's haunted?

Despite my fascination with ghosts and the paranormal, I am not sensitive or gifted in any way, so this house was the one and only experience with ghosts I've ever had. I am glad it was a good one.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-17)
I think that it may be a very strong haunt with access to some kind of energy surplus. Indeed, it has the energy to influence both sight and smell as well as the energy to move physical objects. That kind of haunt requires a lot of energy. Dark entities create the energy to influence the sense of touch (it can leave marks, touch the experiencer, etc), invade the world of dreams, and influence emotions. This haunt does not seem that type, however. It does seem almost "motherly".
LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-11)
Maria-what you do for work is very healing. For others and for yourself. I think that it is a wonderful calling and hope it continues to uplift and inspire you, as well as helping other people overcome whatever traumas caused them to use drugs and alcohol as an escape. It's not uncommon at all to find that many of those people were abused as children, one way or another, as I am sure you know.

Looks like we come here to exorcise more than one kind of demon! Be well and I wish you all the happiness you deserve.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-07)
LFrog,

I didn't know how to say it when I read your comment about how she wanted to reconnect with you; but I believed, at that time, that you did the right thing for yourself. I think this especially now that you have said that you were abused yourself. You and Jade are definitely not alone. I have this kind of past too and I have found that reconnecting with the figures from my past is too much for me. I have found that reconnecting has a negative effect on me - it puts me in a darkness that I have, for the most part, left behind.

Life moves forward if you let it. If you want to be sentimental and keep the good things in the past, sometimes you have to be revisited by the things that were not so great.

I like what you said about martial arts. That seems like a great thing to make you feel less helpless. I don't know if what I do is right; but I am happy. I have no roots anywhere, no children because I am unable to have them. I am a volunteer counselor for people with substance abuse but I have lived most of my adult life moving around sporadically. I hope that I really am doing what I want and not just running.

I didn't mean to write all of this when I began my comment. I really just wanted you to know that I believe you did the right thing by distancing yourself from Jade. You are not responsible for her mental health.

- Maria
LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-07)
Alina5: He did serve a couple years in prison but seriously, I agree, a noose was more appropriate. To break that trust with your own child is just evil. Those girls will be haunted by it forever and I am sure it has affected every relationship they've had since.

Tweed, I definitely think the lavender could be explained away but thought it was a nice ending to the story. If I could just leave it as that, it would be a sweet story of a benign ghostly resident, maybe even acting as a maternal figure to the children. I only wish she was strong enough to stop their father from doing what he did.

With regards to our friendship, I felt bad because she really wanted to get together and catch up but I am just not that person I was back then. I found martial arts and surrounded myself with positive minded people that helped me reset my outlook on life (I, too, was sexually abused as a child but not anywhere near the level she was) and I want no part in going backwards, emotionally. As you said, self preservation is perfectly OK to protect ones self.
Tweed (35 stories) (2497 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-05)
LFrog,

What a bag of mixed emotions this is.

The lavender smell could, I'd say is likely, either the real scent of lavender trapped in wood or other materials around the home and it's structure. Or a paranormal scent of lavender, presumably intended to communicate calm and the identity of a particular someone or somebodies. Lavender has been a staple scent for many centuries in western cultures, and others. It was used extensively by aristocracy to cover up BO, (gross), and also to cover up odours of the dead (gross). As well as just being a nice scent. If the home was near a cemetery at some point, residents may have found little glass bottles in the garden soil, or stashed away. Homes near cemeteries went through a heck of a lot of lavender (gross).
Smell can permeate material for an amazingly lengthy time, given the right conditions, and then emit in the right conditions. So it's possible it's forever part of the house. But then it's just as likely a ghost's chosen scent in a place like that.

As for the radio ghost. I wonder if that ghost was able to do that, and did, when that disgusting man was about. Knowing what we do about her family life I also wonder if someone was trying to scare you off in a good way.

Leaving behind old, outdated habits is a good thing. If inviting someone back into your life fills you with doubt, for whatever reason, listen to that feeling. You may be able to help her. She may have left her recklessness behind. But if not she could easily drag you down a path of pity, one where you become her therapist in a way. That's probably what's behind your apprehension. If you decide to reach out to her, decide what you are and are not willing to tolerate. There's no shame in self preservation.
Alina5 (3 stories) (136 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-04)
Rather than the story itself I'm more disgusted by the father, how can he do that to his own daughter?. First of all, he has lost his right of being called a "father" for heaven's sake. I feel no surprise if he be found guilty for marital rape!. My heart breaks for those kids who feel unsafe in their own house. He most possibly deserves a halter to hang himself with. I hope your friend is alright now. She deserves some happiness after going through such hell.

Your story was interesting overall thank you for sharing

May God guide you and your friend!

Peace
LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-04-03)
He deserves to rot in Hell, for sure. I hope he's already there. I actually did touch base with her 10 or so years ago just before Facebook took off. She wanted to get together but as others had told me her sad history since high school, I decided not to as I'd moved on from that time when drinking and smoking pot were the norm. I didn't want to get sucked into that drama. Now I feel bad; thinking I could have maybe helped her. It's truly a sad ending to a ghost story, far worse than any ghost can conjur.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-03)
I am so sorry. You might even have a friendship with Jade now, if she wasn't always trying to escape from her trauma. That's all it is, or will ever be - The older boyfriend, drugs and alcohol.

I don't understand how a person can look at their own children and conceive such a notion as rape. The thought comes from Hell but it is no use trying to understand HIM. I am sorry that you don't have her as a friend.
LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-04-03)
Melda, that is a good question, about the parlor. I cannot say for sure but I think the furnishings were done by "Jade's" (not her real name) mother, before she passed away. Most of the house had older furniture but nothing else was fancy like the parlor, just sturdy, real wood pieces that were well-used.

The family did not seem concerned about the haunting at all; it was clear she was a benign presence that they were used to. I think it's why her younger brother and sister didn't say anything when I described what happened. They didn't want to scare me off, either, as there was no reason to be afraid.

Maria, I told her that the experience was not frightening to me at all but rather puzzling, so it definitely would not deter me from staying there again. However, she moved out shortly thereafter to live with her older boyfriend, who still lived with his parents. Jade was only 16 and I couldn't believe her father let her move out. She had her own bedroom in her boyfriend's parents house, so it wasn't like they were letting them "shack up". It didn't make any sense to my 15 year old mind, coming from a family where my parents were still together and cared very much for us, until several years later.

Jade's younger sister went to the police when she became a teenager and turned in her father for raping her. It all came together then; why Jade left so young, why she was desperate to have me sleep over, why her boyfriend's parents let her move in with them. Her father had been raping her for God only knows how long. Years, probably. And when she escaped, he turned to her little sister. Or maybe it had been both of them for a long time.

I suddenly remembered that when I slept over, we shared her big bed. Her father opened the door at one point in the night, sticking his head in and seeing us both in the bed. At the time, I assumed he was being a parent, checking to be sure his child was safe at home in bed. After I knew, I realized with a sick feeling that his intent was likely far worse than I ever could have imagined.

Jade struggled with drug and alcohol abuse for a long time from what I heard. We lost touch after she graduated and I hear she owns a liquor store. I cannot even imagine how hard her life must be. I remember her as being very smart and funny, and it makes me sad to think what could have been if she'd gone to college and had the support of her family.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-04-03)
Hello LFrog,

That does sound like an interesting place. It doesn't sound like it was forbidding at all; just thoughtful maybe - except for the loud radio.

Did you spend any more time with Jade at her house after you were told that it was haunted? Was the rest of the house furnished in an old fashioned style, like the parlour?

I like your style of writing. I have enjoyed reading the thoughtful comments that you have left on other stories on this site. Thank you for sharing yours.

- Maria
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-04-03)
LFrog - I'm rather interested in learning a bit more about the parlor which you describe as fancy, had an air of disuse and was very dusty. Do you know whether this furniture originally belonged to the previous owner of the house, or whether it was furnished by Jade's parents? It might have a bearing on the haunting.

Possibly the family became so accustomed to the benign paranormal activity that it didn't bother them too much.

I wonder what future owners or tenants felt about the activities in that house. I can't imagine that many people would have been comfortable with it.

The smell of lavender? Only a nice entity would spread that around. Whenever I get sweet, flowery aromas I'm sure that my mother or one of my sisters is with me, just to let me know that they're still close.

Regards, Melda
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-04-02)
Hello LFrog.

That sounds like an interesting place to visit... If one is into creepy stuff. I understand why she didn't want to tell you about her house being haunted, even if the activity was not evil.

I imagine the invisible resident was an inhabitant from a bygone time still hanging around her home, possibly trying to be kind to the orphan children.

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: