You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: A Ghost In A Hurry

Real Ghost Stories

A Ghost In A Hurry

 

I have been meaning to write about the following incidents for several years, but for one reason or another, kept putting it off. This took place in (I believe) 2018. As part of my job in pet care, I regularly spend long periods of time at customer's houses when they are out of town. This particular house was built in the 1940s and in the 90s had an extension added. Several paranormal incidents happened there over the years. Once, while my wife and I were sitting in the den, which is part of the newer extension, discussing the possibility of the house being haunted, several of the ceiling lights in the vaulted ceiling began dimming and then getting very bright (they had individual brightness control knobs) while a chandelier and three lamps began flicking on and off. Meanwhile the lights in the kitchen remained on without disturbance. This weird light show went on for twenty or so seconds before returning to normal. The fact that it was multiple lights, seemingly acting independently, suggests it was paranormal. I have stayed in this house many times since and nothing unusual with the lights has ever happened again.

On another occasion when my wife was staying alone in the house overnight, she awoke to hear what sounded like two male voices in conversation coming from the space between the bedroom and bathroom door. As often seems to be the case with paranormal voices, although distinct, what was being said was unclear. Suffice it to say, there was nobody visible there. Within two months of this incident, my brother (who was working for me at the time) was heading toward the mud room at the rear of the house to leave, when he saw two figures standing and facing each other in front of the door. He described them as appearing like a photographic negative. They were there and within a couple of seconds were gone.

The most dramatic incident was when I happened to be alone one morning. I was getting dressed in the master bedroom on the main floor (it's a two-story house) when a loud rainstorm caught my attention. The rain was lashing loudly against the windows, and I glanced at the half open door to see a woman quickly walking from the entry foyer to the left and turning left to head down a short hallway to the kitchen. I knew what I was witnessing was an apparition as the woman, who was wearing what appeared to be light, shin length dress and had hair falling past her shoulders, was monochromatic. She seemed comprised of a washed out white and was clearly focused on some objective as she hurried past. I immediately followed this figure into the kitchen and, not surprisingly, found it empty. I remember feeling quite elated at seeing the apparition and immediately called my wife to tell her what I'd seen. I sensed that what I was seeing was just a replay of something that happened long ago. Her dress struck me as something that could've been from anytime between the 1940s to the 1960s.

I find it interesting that the apparition appeared immediately after the rainstorm started. The often-reported connection between paranormal occurrences and water possibly at play. Several months after seeing this apparition, the house had extensive renovations done. I remember talking with one of the workers and he told me he had pulled out a huge amount of outdated clothing from the walls of the attic that had apparently been used as insulation. Maybe some of the paranormal activity was connected to these clothes because since the renovations I have never sensed or experienced anything else at the house that could be considered paranormal.

Other hauntings by Manafon1

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Manafon1, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-03-14)
So great to see you active on YGS again Tweed! I do believe my brother seeing the "photographic negative" figures was a big reason he's become more open-minded regarding the paranormal.

I feel strongly that the voices Julie heard were another manifestation of the spirits that were so active in that house. Yeah, I wish I could've seen the clothes pulled from the attic too. Sadly, they were gone when I heard about them.

I did want to ask the homeowners about all the activity in the house but decided not to. I have done so with two other customers, and one was very interested and receptive (that was the house where I heard ticking on multiple occasions and heard their recently deceased cat meowing several times), but the other was the house my wife and I heard a disembodied woman's voice talking to us in the middle of the night. That homeowner was a believer in the paranormal but was seriously freaked out about what we told her, as her husband traveled a lot for work leaving her alone in the house. I felt the couple who lived in the house described in this account might be in the same camp so remained silent. That said, so many things happened there I'd be surprised if they never experienced anything.

Again, it's cool to see you back.
Tweed (35 stories) (2498 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2023-03-13)
Manafon, was this the thing that had your brother questioning his beliefs? Interesting that yours and his apparitions both had a lack of colour shall we say, monochrome and photographic negative.
There's that water theory again. Would've been interesting to see some of those clothes. I wonder if your wife heard the voices of some of these souls. Are you able to ask the home owners about any of this? Or maybe it's best not to lol. Sounds like a cool house.
amon (1 stories) (10 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-12-11)
Interesting story, I think you may be on to something with the connection between the rain/water interacting with the ghost and paranormal happenings as well.
Rajine (14 stories) (777 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-12-07)
Hi Manafon1

I suppose that whatever was in the house found peace and was able to move on once you'll discovered the old clothes. It sort of released what couldn't move on.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+4
1 year ago (2022-12-06)
lady-glow--Thanks for your thoughts. Tried to upvote you but apparently I've given you my allowed quota. I'm glad to see you're still active here on YGS!

Aussiedaz--You might be on to something about the loudness of the storm activating the apparition. What facilitates an apparitional appearance remains as elusive as paranormal activity. Thanks for your input.

Rajine--Thanks for your comment. I should clarify that the paranormal activity didn't start at that house when the clothes were found but stopped.
Rajine (14 stories) (777 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-12-06)
Hi Manafon1

I also think that once the clothes were found, it sort of awakened the spirit activity, it's like the spirits of that place were dormant and waiting for someone to find those clothes,
aussiedaz (19 stories) (1565 posts)
+3
1 year ago (2022-12-06)
Hi Manafon,

Quite a combination of accounts here mate. It's an interesting thought about the possible connection between the rainstorm and the paranormal, perhaps it was the loudness of a storm more so than the rain?

And yes, I think you are on the right track with reference to the clothes.

Thanks for sharing it. I'm sure most paranormal hunters would have taken it on.

Regards Daz
lady-glow (16 stories) (3157 posts)
+6
1 year ago (2022-12-06)
Hello Manafon.

What an interesting display of paranormal activity you and your family members have witnessed in that house. A place that old must have a lot of past emotions trapped within its walls.

I agree with your theory of the old clothing 'telling' some stories from the past.

Thanks for sharing

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: