You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Haunting On Midway

Real Ghost Stories

The Haunting On Midway

 

In January 2001 I rented a studio apartment in an old Victorian style house in Pueblo, CO. When you entered the front door there were 2 one bedroom apartments on the main floor, and a winding staircase that went to 2 studios upstairs. It was cool because I became friends with the couple that lived downstairs. The husband did repairs to the apartment across from him for money off his rent, so it was vacant. The tenant across from me was an old Hispanic man that had lived there for 20 years. He was friendly but he didn't speak that much English. Overall, this was an ideal location since it was close to my college and easy to get to the bike trail on the Arkansas River.

Everything was pretty sweet for me upstairs. If you looked out he window you could see the murals on the river levee, one of which was a yin yang with an angel on one side and a demon on the other. At this time I was taking tai chi classes so this couldn't have been better. The one thing I'd do was a little spin as I was walking up the stairs to my apartment. It felt like energy was flowing down the stairs, (or some kind of resistance) so spinning seemed to make it easier going up.

Looking back there were a few strange things that happened while living up stairs. This one afternoon I was bored so I drank a couple shots of Everclear I had bought to make some herbal tinctures. Those shots knocked me out and apparently I was out all night partying at a bar on Union. My old roommate's girlfriend was there and told everyone about it. I do remember a little bit and it was embarrassing. She didn't say who took me home but I woke up in my apartment. A few weeks later there was a loud knock on my door. When I answered the door there was a man that was drunk out of his mind thinking this was his apartment. So, I helped him on his way thinking about what I had recently gone through.

There was another odd situation. I stopped to talk to the tenant upstairs who was standing by the vacant apartment. The door was open because the other tenant had been working in there. Besides your basic greetings, the old man pointed into the apartment and asked if I could "see the smoke". I didn't get what he was saying and didn't see smoke. It was important to him so I agreed with what he was saying, but it didn't make sense.

A few months after moving in I found a girlfriend and she moved in with me a month later. Thinking that I needed more room, I asked the landlord to move into that vacant apartment below mine. The landlord had no problem with me moving in and paying more rent. So we spent a day moving in, which was easy.

Everything was normal until evening. We started feeling uneasy with each other. She felt like I was going to hurt her while I was thinking she was going to hurt me. We were literally sitting on opposite ends of the couch sizing each other up. While that was going on roaches started crawling in under the front door. I'm talking about a massive amount of roaches. They started climbing the walls and some dropped off the ceiling onto us. We saw a few dead ones earlier while cleaning, but there were no roaches upstairs. How could it be this bad? We were freaked out and started saying prayers and burning incense. It seemed to help for around 20 minutes, then it would feel weird again. We kept going in and out to the side porch where we talked about how we were feeling about each other.

There was a strange mold I noticed on the front window molding. It was like the size of a pack of cigarettes only not as thick. My girlfriend didn't notice it and she was doing a lot of the cleaning. There was also a crazy face in the wood grain of the front door that didn't help the situation.

We decided we should just go to bed and get the day over with. It was hard at first because you could hear the upstairs tenant making noise. He might have been unclogging a drain with a hanger. All we heard were weird sounds in the pipes. After finally falling asleep, I woke to my girlfriend freaking out screaming. When I first looked at her she looked like a different woman. She told me she couldn't see and there was a feeling of pressure on top of her. That was it! We got out of there at like 3-4 AM.

Later that day, we went to pick up our belongings. I asked my teacher come to see what she thought about the place. She agreed something didn't feel right. Even my girlfriend's mother didn't like it and let us move in the empty side of a shop she had. The last thing that freaked us out was when we were moving out. There was a nest and an egg had fallen and cracked on the porch with the baby bird exposed. We didn't notice it all night with us going in and out the side door.

I broke my lease and told the landlord he needed an exorcist. A few years later the whole building burned down and they now have a community garden in its place.

Other hauntings by KnightRaven

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Colorado

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, KnightRaven, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

KnightRaven (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
4 months ago (2023-12-17)
Sure, go ahead. When you're done send me a link to the video. 😊
isaacjerome (1 posts)
 
4 months ago (2023-12-14)
hey can I use this story for my video I will give you credits 😲
Leon19 (3 posts)
+2
6 months ago (2023-11-11)
Saw the image of the door and it didn't look like a face it looked like something that happens the doors when exposed to environmental weather or I'm not sure what the proper word for it I suffer from mild cases of Dyslexia so the best I described it looks natural I've seen would look like that a couple times I'm sorry you went through that.
KnightRaven (2 stories) (8 posts)
 
6 months ago (2023-11-03)
virulentpeach, That is what I'm talking about, only creepier. It's obviously explained as pareidolia but these events happening all at once made us feel as if there was more to it. We could have moved back upstairs and I only had one month left on my lease, but we just said forget this place and moved.

The fire was 3-4 years after we moved and it wasn't a big thing in the newspaper, so I don't know what happened afterward. The old man upstairs had lived there for about 20 years. He might have known something or had some type of premonition.

Not only do I think that place was haunted, I think the whole neighborhood might be in some type of energy vortex.
virulentpeach (12 stories) (40 posts)
+3
6 months ago (2023-11-03)
[at] KnightRaven:

The fire, what was the "officiaL" cause? Was it known? I wonder if it was paranormal too. I am even wondering if the "smoke" the neighbor saw that you did not see had something to do with it in some way.

Face in the door I assume looked like this? Https://i.imgur.com/8Fv4T.jpg If so that is terrifying. It would creep me out so much and I'd feel like it was staring at me! Do you think this was paranormal?
KnightRaven (2 stories) (8 posts)
+2
6 months ago (2023-11-02)
The fire was in the paper at the time, so we drove past to see what happened. It appeared as if the fire started in my old upstairs apartment, which was the nicest of what I'd seen. The landlord did say he was trying to get the old man upstairs to move to a different rental so he could remodel his apartment. I believe it was supernatural but who knows.

We didn't notice the face on the door while moving in. It would has been open most of the time anyway. While we were staring at the door watching tons of roaches crawl in through the cracks, we saw a large elongated face in the wood grain. The face looked like it was screaming and trapped inside for some reason. It was a newer flat design than the original doors, so it had been replaced at some point in time. We saw it the next day when went to get our belongings and even pointed it out to the people that were with us.
virulentpeach (12 stories) (40 posts)
+3
6 months ago (2023-11-01)
This reminds me of the feeling at an apartment I lived in during university. There was a lot of energy and the house felt alive. That's what it sounds like here.

Do they know why the building burned down? I would be interested to know if you think it was paranormal.

What does a crazy face in the wood grain of the door mean? I wonder what that looks like but it would creep me out so bad! Was it always there or did it randomly appear?
KnightRaven (2 stories) (8 posts)
+2
6 months ago (2023-10-18)
Rajine: As I recall, the landlord denied having any complaints with the apartment. He was more concerned with keeping my deposits. He had recently acquired the property from his father so maybe he didn't know anything.
Rajine (14 stories) (777 posts)
+3
6 months ago (2023-10-18)
I wonder what could have happened in that apartment... When you told the landlord that he needed to get an exorcist, what was his response?
Linjahaha (24 stories) (130 posts)
+3
6 months ago (2023-10-18)
KnightRaven: You 'may' be correct about Spiritual strength. I cannot say for certain as I'm not an expert.
All I 'can' say is that whatever was in that house literally drove us out. We just couldn't deal with it anymore.
I'm sure that the Minister knew things about that kind of stuff that we didn't. Whatever. All I know is that I haven't 'heard' anything about the building/property since, & I'll never go near it again. I'm glad that you are out of that place, & I hope, very happy!

Best Wishes!

😁 😁
KnightRaven (2 stories) (8 posts)
+2
6 months ago (2023-10-17)
Linjahaha. Thanks for reading my story. The bug phenomena is hard to believe unless it has happened to you. I grew up in Tennessee and have lived around roaches. They don't act like that.
In your story your mother in law sprinkled holy water that may as well have been chocolate syrup. That was what was happening with us. My girlfriend (now wife) had holy water and I had some sage. Her mother owned a religious store so she had a collection of prayers and even an exorcism prayer with her. Those things don't work by themselves. Maybe you have to be spiritually strong and focused for them to work.
Linjahaha (24 stories) (130 posts)
+3
6 months ago (2023-10-17)
Dear Knight: Yikes! That place 'was' haunted like the house my late husband, mother-in-law, & I lived in.
Read 'The House of Erie Road in Willoughby',& you'll see the comparison there.
We had millions of spider outbreaks, but the straw that broke our backs was the millipede outbreak. They covered the house outside, & inside. They even poured out onto the front lawn. Millions upon millions. We'd never seen anything like that before, or since. I Pray to God I never see anything like 'that' ever again.
Once we got out of that house, we wouldn't even 'drive' by it. We completely avoided it. To this day "I" avoid it.
The landlord couldn't get 'anyone' to stay there very long after we fled. He sold the house to a Preacher that turned it into a Church with the upstairs (where 'we' once lived), turned into his Rectory. I haven't 'heard' of anything paranormal with the place since. Maybe the preacher made a difference, but I'll never pay a visit to find out. I'm 'sure' you understand!

All the best, & take care! 😊 😊

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: