You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Dad's Humor

Real Ghost Stories

Dad's Humor

 

My father had a fabulous sense of humor. He was my hero when I was a child. He always knew how to make everyone laugh. My Mom died when I was a teenager. He and I were left and shared many experiences. I was feeling afraid of being without him. He had been a strong powerful person. He was 88 and dying in 2004. It was hard to see him succumb to lung cancer. At one point he looked around the room and said... "Wow I created this". It was as if his soul was speaking to me. It surprised me because he was not a religious or spiritual man.

He told me his favorite memory of me and asked my favorite memory of him.

Picture for Dad's Humor I was thrown by that question. I have great memories and wished I could have thought of a better one than this one. I literally didn't know what to say. I should have said the sound of his voice singing in the shower. But all I could think of was this. I was trying to keep the mood light. I asked him if he remembered being angry with a neighbor that allowed his dog to "go" in front of our driveway? My Dad took the dog doo doo on a shovel and put it in front of the mans doorway so that he'd step in it on his way out. My Dad said, "I am a dying man and you're talking about dog s__t?"

The night before his funeral, I asked for a sign that he was o.k. I was staring at the shadow of the window blinds on the ceiling. I woke up and went to the window to open the blinds and there on the sill were two pieces of my cats' doo doo (with litter stuck to them). My cat was elderly and unable to jump up that high. There was litter stuck to it. How is that possible? It was my Dads' humor... I am SURE of that! I put the 'you know what' in a plant because I couldn't throw it out.

I know he would enjoy the fact that unbeknown his 3rd wife, the funeral director, who knew my Dad, gave me his ashes. My Dad wanted to be cremated and scattered over the Hudson River. The day we were to bury his ashes (her wishes), the funeral director gave me a bag when she wasn't looking. It was my Dad's ashes. I took the ferry boat (that was named for his cousin) and was able to give him his wish. I think he would've enjoyed that he was in my purse at a luncheon with the 'step family' before I was able to grant his final wish. His name may be on the tombstone but he is where he wanted to be and I can see the Hudson from my hall window!

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New York

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, jeanie, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

htblossom (2 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-24)
I love the story that you wrote and I'm glad you gave him his wish I'm sure he is very proud of you. ❤
rhodes68 (14 stories) (1596 posts)
 
16 years ago (2008-03-08)
You'll probably never read this but I loved your story and especially the bond you shared with your dad. Even if you wish you could've told him a better story that day, I'm convinced that your dad can see all that's in your heart and loves you deeply for respecting his final wish and for being his loving child.

God bless you both
whitebuffalo (guest)
 
16 years ago (2007-11-24)
I sat here about to fall out of my chair while reading this. This is one of the best stories I have read in a long time. How wonderful that being in the spirit realm does not "break your spirit". God bless you both. Thank you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-23)
What a beautiful story, I think it a lovely tribute to your father.

The bond between a Father and a Daughter continues even after one passes.

God Bless!
Bellissima (12 stories) (792 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
jeanie,I have to say, that is the weirdest story I have ever heard! I loved it! You and your Dad must have been really close, that's very special. He certainly did have a sense of humor, that's so great. I'm glad he got his final wish and that he gave you a sign (even if it was totally off the wall! This story is so believable, how on earth could something like that be a fabrication! ❤
vickifigueroa (5 stories) (34 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-10-03)
Wow...Great story. It gave me the chills(GOOD ONES) the whole time I was reading it.
Im glad that your father got his last wishes.
Athena (9 stories) (222 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-08-10)
Great Story! I am delighted he left you laughing! 😆 Really amazing how he granted you another memory of him that mimicked your 'favorite' memory.
kristy38 (5 stories) (52 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-16)
thanks so much for sharing this with all of us. It was very special I am glade you got to do your dad last wish.
Shane (13 stories) (1258 posts)
 
17 years ago (2007-05-14)
Got to love a story with a happy ending. I believe that you experienced something special that happened between you and your father sort of like an inside joke. I am also glad you were able to carry out his last wish. Thank you for sharing your story with us.

Peace, Love, and Luck be with you.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: