You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: The Shadow in the Cornfield

Real Ghost Stories

The Shadow in the Cornfield

 

I was about 9 at the time, and I was just being slowly allowed to go where I wanted in my small village. Me and my friends spent our summer holidays going to new places that it seemed no one had been to, it seemed adventurous but of course, we were only going about 4 miles away from home to where farmers would regularly throw us off their land and threaten us with the police (they never did do anything, even if we were caught again and again). We would also take my gold hearted husky (wolfie), he was our bodyguard I suppose.

We were wondering around the outskirts of the village looking for somewhere to go, we had pretty much been everywhere, when we came across this path, it wasn't like this path that appeared like magic and we had never seen it before, we had seen it every time we had set off for a walk, but it just looked boring, it was just an old road with a few bushes and a house about a quarter of the way down.

To be honest it was painfully boring, there was a field full of junk, we had fun in for about half an hour. After about 2 hours, we came across this cornfield, it was such a relief, it was great, the corn was taller than our heads and had a warm comforting glow about it. We decided to have a game of hide and seek which I suggested because I could cheat by using the dog. After about 4 games, I was the seeker and I was traveling through the vast amounts of corn, using wolfie to track them down. He would sniff his way there and bark once we were there.

He was pulling me towards the prize, when he froze and began to whimper, I had never seen him like this. He was running behind me and barking and crying, it scared the hell out of me. Suddenly it went freezing cold, the temperature was about 20 degrees and there I was, shivering like a leaf. A black figure swooped past me in the next row of corn, wolfie pulled with all his might in the other direction yanking me to the floor. He pulled free of his collar and ran off.

I laid dazed on the floor, oblivious of what had just happened, when I heard Clarke (one of the 3 friends I had with me that day, also my best friend) scream. I shot up and followed the noise, when I got there, he was on the floor shaking, rocking backwards and forwards like a mad man, I didn't dare approach him, he was freaking me out. At this time, he still hadn't noticed I was there until I shouted for angus and chelsea, he turned around and shouted to me to stay away and picked up a rock and threw it at me, cutting my head open. More than anything I was shocked it didn't hurt but I guess that was the shock, I just turned around and ran, I don't know what I was thinking, about halfway through, I saw angus and chelsea holding wolfie, put wolfies collar and lead back on, told angus and chelsea to run and set off running again.

Usually I was the slowest runner of my friends but I was miles in front of them, I ran for about an hour when I finally got out of the long path, I collapsed on the pavement out of breath with wolfie nuzzling his head into me, also panting desperately. Chelsea and Angus shortly followed, without Clarke, we sat on the pavement for 2 hours waiting for clarke, by this time my face was a crusty red scab with red hand smears, then we saw a staggering figure stumble out onto the road. It was clarke, his face was torn to shreds as were his clothes, I ran towards him, yet again he shouted at me to stay away, so chelsea asked what was wrong, he answered to her. He told her that a man in the field had told him that I would be the cause of a death of someone close to him, and that a woman dressed in rags had attacked him.

We never spoke to Clarke after that, he became just another face, but his mum and my mum were friend and they would regularly meet up at my house, and this one time when clarke's mum was at my house, I was outside messing about on my bike, she was just getting in her car to go home when a car flew round the corner and sped towards me. She ran up, pushed me out the way but sadly she was hit and died 2 days later in intensive care.

2 years later at school, I was in toilets throwing up when clarke burst in and grabbed me by my hair, dragged me across the floor and banged my head on the floor several times, shouting he said it would happen. Angus burst in and grabbed him off me and restrained him while I picked myself of the floor, I ran and got help.

After that we never saw him again, he moved away the next day, that's why he had done it that day. The last I heard of him he had moved to Texas and tried to kill himself, but failed. To this day I miss Clarke and I will never go in that evil field ever again.

Thanks for reading

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Ted7193, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments but I won't participate in the discussion.

Aaron_G_B (37 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-12)
wow that's wickedly intense definitely weird amazing what kind of stuff can happen
ghostfox96 (1 stories) (25 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-08-12)
wow, what a story! I cannot believe only two people have commented, this has too be my favourite story I've read.
Well done!
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-07)
ninjaz007: I agree with you! Sounds like something out of a movie, that was pretty intense! I want to hear more about this now somehow I don't think the Author will be back. 😕

Dan
ninjaz007 (9 posts)
 
14 years ago (2010-07-07)
😨 That is a creepy story. I can't believe no one has ever commented on it. Its going in my favorites.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: