You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: The Noise In The Attic

Real Ghost Stories

The Noise In The Attic

 

I was 11 years old; it was 1978. I was sitting in the living room on the sofa watching Fantasy Island in my pajamas. My parents weren't home. It was only my older sister and I and she was in her room practicing the flute.

I began to hear what sounded like footsteps in the attic; it seemed as though the footsteps were moving back and forth across the attic floor. Gradually, the footsteps got louder and louder to the point where it seemed as loud as a nearby thunder crack, a constant banging on the attic floor. I was terrified and would have to walk beneath the attic door in the hall to get to my sisters room. I sat frozen for what seemed like an eternity.

Finally I got the courage to go to my sisters room. I opened her door and said "Do you hear that?" My sister, who is very hard to scare, jumped up and said "Let's get out of here." She tore past me & ran to the living room door, I quickly followed.

Suddenly she stopped and said "We have to leave a note for our parents." I couldn't believe it. It sounded as though the whole house was going to cave in and she had to leave a note. I waited impatiently and finally we exited the house and ran across the street to our neighbors house. They said it was probably rats, but we knew otherwise.

Later when my parents came home, they investigated the attic and found nothing. They said it was probably cats fighting on the roof, but our roof was an A frame so I don't think the cats could have stayed on the roof and the sound would have been more muffled sounding, not a banging, almost crackling sound. And so loud! Now I am 43 an my husband says it was probably pipes but I don't think so.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Virginia

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, TerriLewis123, has the following expectation about your feedback: I won't be reading the comments.

Mountaineer (4 stories) (176 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
About 75% of the comments on this story are yours, terrilewis. You do know that stories aren't supposed to be used as blogs right? Your story has seen it's best days already, and it will not likely be getting many more readers because it is so old. It is a nice story, and I understand that perhaps you are upset that it has stopped receiving attention. My advice: let it go. Stop stirring the pot so this floats back to the surface and allow the new stories to receive the attention they are due.

Respectfully--Mountaineer
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-09-05)
Hello Ghostreaders. (I do hope someone nice reads my posts). Anyway, I wanted to share a possible psychic connection between my mom & older sister. Several years ago, my sister called me very early in the morning in a near panic. She said we needed to go check on my mom because she had a dream or something happened where I think my sister heard my mom calling out her name in alarm. I told my sister, "why don't you just call mom?" But my sister was insistent that we go to my mom's house. So we went. When we got to my mom's, we woke her up & told her our story. She said she had been having a dream where I was drowning, and (my mom can't swim), she was calling out my sister's name to jump in and save me. Neither my mom or sister are prone to story telling. So hope you find this as a little strange as I do. Also, I may be going on a ghost tour of the Queen Mary, so stay tuned. Bye.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-23)
I wanted to give the title and author of the book I was reading when I experienced so many strange noises. It was called Real Ghosts, Restless Spirits, & Haunted Place by Brad Steiger. Good book. Lots of cool pics too. 😳
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
Hello again, please let me apologize to any child who read my comments and perhaps was not ready to deal with such issues. But I have seen rather explicit stories on this site & no one seems to have a problem with these. But again, I do believe I was wrong in judgement & hope that you can forgive me.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-22)
Hello, I just found out my karma score on this site is -30. I'm really sad about that. I posted one comment in error of judgement, perhaps, but my intent was to illustrate a point & take someone off guard. So if you see all the negative comments people have made about me, then hopefully you will not judge me so harshly.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-13)
In my defense, I'm not allowed to let my cat out of our room because she uses the carpet as her bathroom. But I should have stayed with her.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-12)
Also, when I was hearing noises around my room (at the same time I was reading ghost stories), my cat didn't react at all, so that relaxed me. To my chagrin, sometimes I would get so scared that I left my little kitty alone in my room. 😢
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-10)
Hello Zetafornow, Thank you for your post. And yes, I did watch Charlie's Angels. Great show. As far as the haunting, a few minor things happened, but that was the only really scary thing that happened. My younger brother believes that he saw a soldier standing in the doorway once. Your haunting sounds really scary. You must be very brave to have endured such terrifying noises. I hope you never have to experience that again. Take Care.
zetafornow (4 stories) (447 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-07)
Hi terrilewis:

I love this story for a couple of reasons... First of all, Fantasy Island used to be one of my favorite shows! Did you watch Charlie's Angels too?

But more importantly, I think you did experience a haunting. I lived in a haunted house or maybe the more politically correct description is a house with paranormal activity, but I did when I was that age also. We, my sisters and I, heard many sounds such as the one you have described. It escalated into much more as far as doors slamming, windows slamming shut, the sound of chains dragging, etc. I was wondering, was this your only experience in this house?
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-07)
One more thing; my husband said that he recreated his photo with the streaks by focusing on two lights in the distance with no flash & moving when picture taken. But I don't recall seeing any lights in the distance.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-06)
I did want to mention that my husband got streaks in one of his photos of a haunted hot spot. I think one was red and one was yellow. They were very similar in size. The tour guide, who is also a paranormal investigator, said that there was nothing around that could have caused that.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-08-06)
Hello, Back from Vegas; very cool ghost tour. That's about it for now.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-07-31)
Hello Carl, (taz890). Thank you so much for your post. I didn't think I'd be reading them, but I love all the wonderful feedback I've gotten. I appreciate you believing me too. As of late, I haven't had any ghostly encounters. It's strange that they seemed to stop after I finished my ghost story book. My brother said the latest noises I've heard are probably my house settling, but why did it just suddenly stop. Oh well. I will be going on a ghost tour in Las Vegas this week. I can't wait! To all who have read & enjoyed my stories, hope you have a spooktacular life! 😁
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-29)
hi there terrilewis123 interesting story had to laugh at the sister leaving the note, I would have been the same as you but I would not have waited lol.

Reading through the comments I don't see why anyone would not think this stuff has been happening to you and this new stuff wow!

You never know the sigh could have been a spirit that likes to read a good ghost story themselves?

Will be adding this to favs please keep it up dated

😊 carl
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-29)
Hello, the latest of my ghostly encounters. I was reading a ghost story book & turned to a really spooky picture. Soon after, I heard what sounded like a man sighing in my ear. My window was closed, & there was no wind. But the sigh was crystal clear. And for the past several weeks I keep hearing sometimes on the landing outside my door & usually on the deck next to my room a loud thud, like something heavy falling. But there's nothing out there that can make that sound. It's really creepy, but it only happens once during the night & it seems like it's right around 10pm. I hope that anybody reading these posts believe me. Everything I've said in this site is true. Call me crazy, but if you're a believer, beware of the ghosties. 😁
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
Hello Ghost readers: Well, I've begun reading my book "Old Lamps for New". At this time I am having a very hard time understanding it, especially with my limited vocabulary. It seems that one concept it promotes is the Christian belief, "Love thy neighbor". I have a hard time with that as you can imagine why. Perhaps I am destined to another life here on earth. Oh well, maybe next time.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-14)
Speaking of reincarnation, I have another weird story: I was in college, & had this dream about finding this old book in a bookstore. One day I saw this used bookstore & went in. For some reason, I felt as though I should go to a certain section, & there I saw this book titled "Old Lamps for New". I felt again compelled to buy this book & saw that it was about reincarnation. For some reason I never got around to reading the book and over the years and many moves in my younger days the book got lost. Today, after making my last post to this site, I thought about that book again & went to Amazon to see if they had it. Alas, to my amazement they did, so I bought it. Now I can't wait to read it.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-14)
Dear ams112700, All I can say is that that noise was so loud and so distinctly a banging sound, not like water pipes, but as though it could be someone bouncing bowling balls across the attic floor. I know that's a crude explanation, but it's the only thing I can think of that comes close. I have another strange story: When I was about 12 years old and living in an apartment in Tustin, CA, I was on the sofa reading a book called Fluke. It was about a man who dies, and is reincarnated into a dog, who is reunited with his family, & I think ends up rescuing them from a killer. Anyway, toward the end of the book, I began smelling a nice sweet smell, kind of like honeysuckle. The very next line I read in the book was "Do you smell that sweet smell?" I was totally stunned. Again, I told my husband about this experience, & he said it's just a really cool coincidence. But there was no honeysuckle, or any scented flowers blooming at or near my house, so think what you will, but it tended to reinforce my belief in reincarnation. As for the other noises I've heard recently & mentioned in my posts, I think that was probably my imagination running away with things.
ams112700 (27 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-02)
Great story do you think it was a ghost? I just love ghosts and mysterys and scary stuff I think it is all great!
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
Last night I kept hearing what sounded like light footsteps on my living room floor, (it's wood). It could have been a cat, but my cat was laying next to me. I called my husband and my dad. My husband said not to worry, & my dad said we have only good memories there so if it's a ghost, it's probably one of our animals that have passed on.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-02)
Hello, KimSouthO and Others, this is really going to sound fake I fear, but here goes. Today when I was on the landing upstairs, getting ready to head down, I could almost swear I heard a knocking sound behind me to the left. In that direction are some cabinets and a bedroom door. I paused for a moment & heard nothing & I'm fairly certain there was no one in the bedroom, (I think I'll check), but it was very spooky. I hope nothing else happens.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-01)
Hello Whiskers, That does sound like a mischievous ghost. I don't really know what's fair.
whiskers (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-01)
in the apartment I'm living in now mystyios things have happened likethe TV turning on at night by itself it did that a lot of times and it still does it sometimes my sister kept blaming me for it saying shed wake up in the middle of the night and have to go downstares to turn it off she always said I probly fogot to turn it off before I went upstairsto bed but I knew I turned it off so one day I was probly about 11 years old I staed down stairs to investigate I turned the TV off and closed my and pretended to be a sleep I wated probly about an hour and a half theni saw the remote lift off the table and the TV turned on and I said hey if my sister blames me for that I'm blaming you I was talking to a ghost the ghost looked at me like I was crazy or something and said you talking to me and I said yes who else would I be talking to and guess what the ghost said you mean you can see me the ghost said your kind of young arent you and I said so what about by the way the ghost a boy a young boy he told me his name he said it was mathew then I said well mathew why are you turning the TV on at night and he said well mabe I just wanted to get you in trouble and I said hey and he disapeared I was out smarted by a smart alek ghost now that's not fair don't you think
whiskers (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-01)
DearterriLewis thank you I guess you could call it a gift but sometimes having that gift can lead to dangerious things
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-01)
Dear RobertaR, Thank you for your post. Yes it was long ago. I don't remember an episode where Mr. Roarke battled the devil. But I'd love to see it. And I will check in to the Bill Bean story. Thank you again, & take care.
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-01)
Dear Whiskers (Cute name). Thank you for your post. It sounds like you have a gift. I wanted to add one more thing to my story. I can't remember for sure whether it sounded like footsteps first or if the banging just started. But it does seem like it was a gradual process. You sound like a lovely person. Bye.
robertar (223 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-11-01)
Either a re run or this was long ago. Didn't mr Roarke battle the devil once?

If these things persist, please look into the BillBean story, dark force. Similar events but got much worse.
whiskers (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-31)
Dear terriLewis123 I have had some experiences like yours and would like to share with you you see the reason why I'm so interested in ghost and the supernatural is because ever sence I was little and even now I have seen and herd ghost and somtimes I can even talk to them and also when I was probly about 7 year old my friend died she droned in a river and I know she droned because I was their when it happened she was on the ege of the bridge looking at leafs in the river and fell in I tried to save her but I could not but ever sence that day iv known that she has been with me because I have herd her and seen her but ever sence that day I have seen and talked to more ghost than when I was younger [please exscuse my spelling]
whiskers (5 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-10-31)
Dear terriLewis123 I thought your story was good I have had some experences like yours but I believe that some peaple have certan gifts and are connected to the supernatural I have had some experinces to but I hve seen ghost but without a camara but I'm sure that some other peaple have had some of those experinces. 😉 😁
TerriLewis123 (1 stories) (93 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-10-31)
Dear TechNinja, I'll look forward to reading your stories. I'm sorry you had a hard time growing up, but at least it seems that you turned out very well. From one believer to another, Peace out.

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: