You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Haunted Places :: Lights,noises And Tinkling Bells

Real Ghost Stories

Lights,noises And Tinkling Bells

 

The first blue light I saw was last year. I don't sleep very well so I usually get up and go downstairs and read until I feel tired. I decided to return to bed so I switched off the lamps and was making my way to the stairs when a blue light on the ceiling caught my eye about 5 inches in diameter it had lines through it and it was dark blue it didn't move. I ran up the stairs because for some reason it scared me.

I told my husband the next day and we both tried to figure out what it could be there was no logical explanation. A few weeks later I got up again for a drink as I came do the stairs I looked at the ceiling and the light was there again but slightly paler and smaller not moving. I had my drink but on the way back it had gone. The next night me and my husband looked at all possibilities what it could be but nothing.

Last night I came downstairs again, had a sleep on the couch and decided to return to bed as I got halfway up the stairs I looked into the living room as it's open plan; the room turned a vivid dark blue. Everything was blue. It couldn't have shone through the window and there was nowhere else it could come from, no explanation whatsoever. It can't have been any of the emergency services that sometimes pass the house as that light is completely different and that moves as the vehicle passes.

I find it all scary as I don't know what it is. We have been in the house 18 months and an old lady lived here before. We have had lots of electrical problems even though the house was rewired when we moved in; lots of strange noises, items being moved and we have heard bells tinkling it's all very odd.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, JulieK, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-09-07)
Hello JulieK,

I actually think that electrical problems are not an excuse. Maybe a surplus of electrical currents are like a beacon or maybe even a source of "nourishment" for something or other.

I don't want to lead you on. My day job is battling shoplifters and balancing payroll.
Lunahenry (2 stories) (50 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-08-23)
The tinkling bells caught my attention. I too, hear them. Very slight, like they are a distance away. It's usually a sign that you have a visitor.
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+3
3 years ago (2021-08-20)
MrsRamsay--Like you, I'm always talking to spirits I feel are about. About a year ago I was house sitting at a huge house and having stayed there before, had heard and sensed the presence of an elderly man, woman and a little dog. It became my habit to address the couple the let them know I'd be staying for a few days and that I'll respect them and hope they will do the same for me. I always tell them I will stay in my room and not access the storage rooms on either side of it, as that's where I sense they mostly stay. The odd noises I'd been hearing stopped and the single dog bark I'd heard on a couple of occasions (from what sounded like a little Yorkie) stopped too.

Once when I was there a repairman had to access the room I use to get to another room on the roof where the A.C. Unit is located. This seemed to upset the spirits as the door to that room (the only bedroom on the third floor) LOUDLY slammed when the repairman had left. It struck me as the spirits protesting that I had gone back on my word. I went up to the room to find the door closed and proceeded to say out loud that I hadn't gone back on my word and that a repair needed to be done by someone else. Long story short, there were no more sounds or slammed doors.

On a sidenote, your apologizing to Florence's spirit for burping is a lot more than can be said for a large percentage of the human race where burping is followed by silence or a yawn isn't covered by a hand. Would also love to see that photo you took!
MrsRamsay (guest)
+7
3 years ago (2021-08-20)
Manafon and Julie,
I too have experienced the electric thing in my home of 8 years, especially when I first moved in. My home also was formerly occupied by a senior citizen, a widow who was beloved by all in the neighborhood. I knew this when I moved in, but had never experienced any kind of spiritual or ghostly things related to a house before moving in here. Even before moving in, I would come over to clean. I don't know why, but I felt "Florence's" spirit here from the very first time, and I would even talk to her and say things like, "I hope you'll be ok with my family here, we've always loved your home. I'm going to clean this chandelier now, and hope we can fix things up to be as beautiful as when you lived here." I know it sounds crazy... And I had never really done anything like this before. But I would walk into the master bath where there are six can lights, three over each sink, and inevitably at least one or two would turn off and on in the time it took to brush teeth or whatever. I would just say, "Hello" and go about my business. I know it sounds bizarre, but to this day, if I'm home alone and burp, I'll say "excuse me" out loud:) Would not want her to be upset that a crass individual lives here.

Last winter we gutted the kitchen -- 30 years old -- and made a beautiful new one that I think Florence likes. When I'm recording my kids, I can hear a clicking sound (that's not audible in person). It sounds like that clicking of a gas stove igniter. That's been something I've heard on tape since the beginning. Also, there were some grecian looking columns we had taken out so that we could update the entrance (shiplap, not columns!) and the night we took those out, a decorative majolica plate on my mantle laid itself down just so while my son and I were watching tv. Very gently, it actually looked as if an invisible hand twisted the plate from its stand and gently laid it down. We both saw it happen, and I'm pretty certain it was either Florence or my mom, telling me they liked the new shiplap where the columns had been!

The lights no longer blink as much but I'm sure she's still around. In fact, as I was typing this reply, I had to look for something on my phone. Earlier today, I'd taken a photo of my house from outside (my two dogs were looking out the window, very cute). In the photo, which I just looked at for the first time, above them in one of the panes, there is DEFINITELY a woman's face. And how weird that I was writing about it and bam had this photo. Goose bumps!
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-08-19)
Hi JulieK

Perhaps it's a spirit attached to the house for some reason, I think finding out more on the history of the house should shed some light on what it could be.
JulieK (1 stories) (2 posts)
+4
3 years ago (2021-08-18)
The first times I heard the bells I was in bed and it came from my husband's side of the bed, my husband heard them downstairs it was a very delicate tinkling sound
Manafon1 (6 stories) (712 posts)
+5
3 years ago (2021-08-17)
Hi JulieK--Welcome to YGS. From what you describe I feel very strongly that a spirit--maybe that of the elderly woman who lived in the house--is trying to make her presence known. I have experienced many of the phenomena you describe, a number of them at a very haunted apartment I lived at in the early 90s (if you're interested in more info check out my account 'Incidents at South York Street'.)

The blue light you describe is very similar to a blue light I experienced after the deaths of my mother and father. The light appeared after I was talking about my parents to my wife. Two blue circular flashes of light, somewhat like a flashbulb, appeared in two separate corners of the room by the ceiling. I believe it was their way of making contact to let me know that they were together and sometimes checking in. Often visitations are symbolic--the two flashes representing each parent. It seems plausible that the woman who lived in your house is simply letting you know that she is still about. My wife and I also experienced extreme electrical issues in that above mentioned apartment that caused us to have to unplug our stereo every night or we'd be blasted out of bed by an ear splitting thumping sound from the speakers. Again, I believe this was a prior resident trying, and succeeding, in getting our attention.

If you read the above referenced account I also experienced a weird, undulating mass on a wall in the middle of the night that emitted a blue glow. Once again, I believe it was one of the previous residents. Those previous deceased residents often were often quite creative in trying to get the attention of my and wife and me and although it was intense at times it did settle down and become extremely infrequent the longer we lived there. So it's possible the spirit will be satisfied once you make it clear you know its there. I find that speaking out loud to spirits works surprisingly well, even if it might make you feel a little silly.

The sound of tinkling bells is very interesting--can you describe when you've heard them? Does it sound like it's in the room with you, moving around, or as if it's coming from another room? I ask because, although I haven't heard that particular sound, I have on multiple occasions heard a ticking sound that seems to emanate from the air and float across the room. When I have heard this paranormal ticking it's what I believe to be the spirit of my mother paying me a visit. It seems possible that the bell tinkling is a spirit using a similar technique to get your attention.

I look forward to any further details you can provide. Thanks for sharing your account. I think you'll find YGS a friendly and informative place.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: