You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Exploding Head Syndrome

Real Ghost Stories

Exploding Head Syndrome

 

This is my first story. There will be more to come.

I have rented as well as owned several homes in the historic district of the town I live in, over the past twenty years since I finished college and got out on my own. I initially never used to believe in ghosts or hauntings, as my back ground is in science; I still am convinced that more things than not have a solid basis in physical origins, rather than super natural. But every place I've lived in as an adult has been haunted, nonetheless. Ghosts apparently don't care what you believe in---they believe in YOU! Lol... Any way:

In the mid-nineties I owned a historic house that was quite haunted. Most of the activity was benign, but it was all scary. Among the many strange incidents was this one:

My girlfriend and I were asleep in bed one morning when we both thrashed awake at the same time. We had each experienced what is called 'exploding head syndrome', i.e., wherein it sounds as if a bomb has gone off between your ears. I'd had this happen before in my life... But never experienced it simultaneously with someone else. I've researched this phenomenon on line; there exist articles on various neurology sites that describe it, but none of them offer any answers or explanations---just conjecture and theories. Also, the research only describes individuals affected by it, not two or more persons sharing the experience.

So, I'm curious: anyone else ever have this happen?

Other hauntings by 30stones

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Illinois

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 30stones, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

DeliverDawn (5 stories) (45 posts)
 
5 years ago (2018-11-10)
Hi Kbell,

I suggest looking into performing a cleansing on your home, and maybe especially the basement area. If you like, you can even have your dad or someone else accompany you with it. Either way, cleanse and bless the area, and look up other forms of protection.:)
Kbelle (1 posts)
+1
5 years ago (2018-11-09)
Okay I'm really out of my element here, I believe in paranormal stuff but don't usually have any experiences with them but I need to share and get other thoughts!

So, like 2 years ago I had this exploding head sound in our basement. I told my parents, they checked for the "sub-woofer" (or however you spell it) we used to have. That's kind of what it sounds like in your head. I also had TMJ at the time so I figured it had something to do with that.

Flash forward to just now, it's around 11:30 pm and I go in the back room of the basement (also the same room I've had a reoccurring nightmare about, but I don't want to dwell too much into that but the fact that I've had it makes this 10000x worse since it was a paranormal type dream and I was in there alone😭) and the loudest sound ever did this to me again... I tried to look around and see where it was coming from but it got worse. I started feeling so sick. I tried to deal with it to see where it was coming from, then I hear a sound behind me, but outside of the room as if my dog came downstairs (she didn't). The sound got to the point to where my eyes were about to roll back or I was going to throw up.
I walked out of the room and it went silent.
I woke my dad up and we both went down there again together and of course silent 🙃
They've never heard the noise. I'm very scared my dog will hear it since she's so sensitive to sounds as it is.
I really wish my ghost or whatever it is was nicer to me. And I really hope it's nice to my dog: (
JennyB83 (12 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-02)
I've had this my whole life, but never thought it could be from a spirit/spirits... Interesting.
donavon80 (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-18)
I'm 17 and I have had this happen all my life. Ever since I was a little kid I always thought it was that there was bad spirits around me and I have done some research myself. For me when I hear a sound that is like load static in my head and when I try to go back to sleep it gets louder. Then if I ever do get to sleep I normally have a nightmare about something dragging me forward or touching me and I am paralyzed. I can't scream or anything. But when I finally wake up I can start screaming. And last night I heard someone whisper "get out" and I woke up and the noise was there again. Personally I think that it is a ghost, but there is always more theories out there:)
darkfantasyland (1 posts)
 
12 years ago (2011-11-10)
Wow my boyfriend and I experience that. We fell asleep and less than 2 hours we hear a loud noise that wouldn't stop. We were already awake, but laying down holding each other tight. The sound stopped once I couldn't take it any more and screamed. Our roommate was wake on the phone and told us nothing happened and there was never a loud sound. I dog also didn't react to the sound we heard.
ParanormalGirl101 (guest)
 
13 years ago (2011-04-02)
Odd that you both shared this experience. Thank you for shaing your experience with us. ❤
fififromdublin (7 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-07)
Pjod; I really hope you don't try to capture and interrogate some poor soul! Lol. You made me giggle with that image...Plase! Were hoping for peaceful exchange of information! Lol
timidtim (4 stories) (20 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-04)
This happens to me as well... Usually when I'm overly exhausted.It's like someone is pulling a prank on me right as I slip into a nice deep sleep "BOOM!" Loud as hell & wakes me up immediately... If you get a chance read into my story once it gets published if it does. I seriously believe these are evil spirits/demons tormenting people when they are tired and they let there guard down... Stay strong and stay blessed my friend...
DCinAZ (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-04)
This has been bugging me since I left my last post... I grew up near Edwards Air Force Base in So. Calif. And what this sounds like to me is a 'sonic boom'. The sound generated when a jet plane would break the sound barrier. You get this air sucking explosion that shakes the windows so hard sometimes you think they'll break and makes you feel like you need to pop your ears. I'm only refering to the instance that occured to both you and your girlfriend because of the rarity, not any previous experiences that involved only you. This is just a theory and I could be wrong. I don't want to in any way demean what you've gone thru, just throwing my hat into the mix so to speak.
30stones (2 stories) (13 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
Thanks to all for responding, I really like this site! To answer some of the questions:

My girl friend and I discussed the incident right after it happened; we concluded that the sound was internal, nothing environmental.
As for research links, you can just google exploding head syndrome, where you'll be directed to a number of sources.

I've only had a couple of other things like that happen before---always the same, a tremendous exploding sound inside my head.

Thanks again everyone...PEACE
faerielike (15 stories) (268 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
I think I have had this happen, but at the time I couldn't tell if the sound had come from my own head, or if I had heard it in the house. I had just assumed I heard it in my head in my sleep, as nothing in the house had been disturbed. 😕
I look forward to reading about your other experiences. ❤
DCinAZ (guest)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
I have to agree with the rest of the posters here, this is a new one on me. I'd like to read up on this. Would you have a link to any of this info? Thanks for sharing this.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
This is one syndrome I have not heard of before. Was this the only time this occured? Very interesting, I will have to research a little on this one. You have really made me think...

Thanks for sharing,
God Bless!
Elephante81 (2 stories) (59 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
I've read up a lot on different syndromes and Exploding Head is definitely one of the most fascinating. If this was an isolated incident, even if you both experienced it at the same time, I wouldn't automatically put it in a paranormal category. But since you've had many experience in the home otherwise, perhaps it should be. I've also never heard of two people having it at the same time. Maybe it wasn't Exploding Head, but rather an actual bang you both heard and woke up to?
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+4
13 years ago (2010-11-03)
nice story... Well put. Never heard of this one. Interesting that it is uncommon to experience with another person. I really liked how you said Ghosts don't care what you believe in, since they believe in you.!
I've always said, when a person says they don't believe in ghosts; Your not believing in them, doesn't change the fact that they exist. Until one is captured and interrogated for answers towards their existance... We only have real life experiences to take an educated guess as to what it is all about. How a person can believe that Demons and evil spirits exist, but not the ghost of a person departed... Is beyond me. It really is a fairytale to believe that we are all magically whisked away to paradise, or pergatory, immediately after death... I ramble here. I'll stop now. 😁

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: