You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Exploding Glass

Real Ghost Stories

Exploding Glass

 

In the seventies my parents decided to leave the rat race of the DC area and built a home in rural southern Pennsylvania. Generally, it was not a creepy place. But, over the years there, a few things happened that could not be explained, this is one such thing.

When I hit my teenage years, I started to think about my spirituality more than usual, as I assume a lot of people do at that age. My parents were not particularly religious but some older family members were. Since I was a child, I'd gone to church with them on occasion - both Catholic and Protestant services - but did not feel moved by them. I found some beliefs to be unbelievable and others just plain silly. I wanted to learn more about spiritual philosophies and so, began to read books on the subject. I thought this would help me to make an informed decision and enable me to give myself the appropriate label. Like I needed another label, right?

So, my room was the only one in the basement. It was cool in summer, warm in winter (due to the wood stove being down there) and afforded me my privacy for the most part, I liked it. I spent a lot of time there reading my books over the course of a few months. Buddhism, Hinduism, ancient religions now long gone, books on the afterlife, near death experiences, even the Satanic Bible, I read them all. While reading the last one, things got weird.

I was always hearing strange noises outside my room, clicks and bumps in the night. I could hear my beaded curtain being brushed aside when the lights were out. One night, after reading, I had just put the book down and turned off the light. My head barely hit the pillow before there was a loud POP, followed by another, then a gushing sound. I turned on the light to find my fish tank draining through a large hole in the glass, fish flopping helplessly in the puddle. I quickly ran and got something to put them in and the shop vac to clean up the mess. I examined the tank. Three cracks all the way across the front. They intersected in a way that formed a sort of triangle, the triangle of glass was missing. The next day, I cleaned up the mess more thoroughly, along with the rest of the room. I never found the missing triangle of glass.

That night, again, just after reading - another POP. I turn the light on and look around. Fish are good, in their temporary bowl but, as I scan the room I see pens and pencils on the floor. I kept them in a glass, one of those thick, heavy beer glasses. The base of the glass sat right where it had been, but the top three quarters of it was scattered on the table and floor below. I left the clean up for the next day and went to sleep.

While cleaning up the glass the next morning, in broad daylight, another POP. This time a small dainty brandy glass filled with tiny seashells. Again, the base of the glass in its place, the bottom half still holding shells. The top, literally exploded into tiny shards.

I could rationalize the tank, tanks failed sometimes. But all three of these incidents in less than two days? That day, I got rid of the book. It was not so interesting anyway so I did not feel like I was missing out. No more noises at night, no more exploding glass.

So what do you think - merely coincidental?

Has anyone else experienced something like this?

Other hauntings by Solveig

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Pennsylvania

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Solveig, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

LFrog1386 (1 stories) (73 posts)
+1
4 years ago (2020-02-10)
Once is an accident, twice is a coincidence (although I would be pretty uneasy about that "coincidence") and 3 times is something trying to send you a message. It sounds like you got it, loud and clear!

I am not even sure I would have connected it to the book but as there are stories in every culture about spirits and curses attaching themselves to objects, I'd say it was a smart move to get rid of the book.

Glad it hasn't happened since and Maria, I am glad your cat is better!
Solveig (3 stories) (7 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-10)
Silverthane61, to answer your question - this was and remains the only time I have experienced this phenomenon concerning breaking glass.
I don't think it was coincidence either. Thanks for the input.
LuciaJacinta (8 stories) (291 posts)
+4
4 years ago (2020-02-07)
It's one thing to read a book to just I form your self but another to open yourself up to a multitude of spiritual possibilities. I don't thi k it was necessarily just the book but as you said you were soul searching for your spiritual path and opening up parts of your soul to different spiritual paths... Some good, some, maybe not so good. I'm not here to bash anyone's religion but I would say when considering beliefs it's good to weigh the outward results. As a general rule, it's always best to remain in a good spiritual path. I have known some people of say,darker, Faiths but in their hearts they are good kind people. Guard your heart for goodness always no matter your faith.

Can the book itself cause weird stuff? Possibly. But things generally have power when we give it to it.

Be careful of the doorways of the soul.
silverthane61 (4 stories) (344 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-07)
This was absolutely not a coincidence! Just my opinion. I cannot make any claim of causality, however. So if you think that the Satanic Bible was somehow involved, then I will not dispute you. If there is any "coincidence" involved, then I think it is that a paranormal event not related to the Bible that you were reading chose this time to make itself known. Question is: did the strange happenings involving glass continue or abate after you got rid of the Bible?
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-02-06)
Solveig,

Yes, I was just throwing that poltergeist theory out there as I have some experience with causing my own trouble these days.

If it wasn't a poltergeist, then maybe your ability to stop all of the activity shows that you have a strong will in setting boundaries. Maybe when you got rid of the book, you were sending a message to whatever was bothering you.

I believe that a person's intentions are the "backbone" to any positive changes in their life.

My cat is doing fine. He had a blocked urethra and I had to come up with $1000 on the spot. I changed his diet to wet food and I found a water bowl that he likes. For some reason, he really likes drinking water out of a big soup pot from the kitchen. Whatever gets him to drink more water.

- Maria
Solveig (3 stories) (7 posts)
+6
4 years ago (2020-02-06)
Thanks for the comments and reading my story.

Maria, I'm so sorry to hear about your recent tribulations. I know "pets" can be just as concerning as human children sometimes. I hope your cat is improving.

I would think, that if this was connected to a poltergeist, that it would have continued even after getting rid of the book.?

It's nice to think about a protective spirit but I think you may be spot on about something attached to the book, WisconsinLady.

RCRuskin, please know that this does not make sense to me either and yet, it happened. The fish tank in question was a 10 gallon rectangular tank.
WisconsinLady (1 stories) (52 posts)
+2
4 years ago (2020-02-06)
Thanks for another great, fascinating story!
2 theories from me:
1. A bad entity/energy was attached to the book.
2. A good/protective spirit was warning you to stay away from that stuff. The protective spirit could have been from the house, a deceased loved one, guardian spirit of some kind, or etc.

I also like Lealeigh's idea. ❤
RCRuskin (9 stories) (811 posts)
+5
4 years ago (2020-02-05)
😲

Hi, Solveig. That first incident especially intrigues me with the triangle of glass missing from the fish tank. I can't say I've had any fish tanks fail, but I have not had many fish in my life. Just two fish bowls/fish tanks. To have that specific shape disappear from the side of the tank just makes not much sense to me.
Lealeigh (5 stories) (512 posts)
+3
4 years ago (2020-02-05)
Hello Solveig,

I have always heard that poltergeist activity centers around teenagers and young adults. Young people who are going through hormonal changes and emotional ones put off a lot of energy.

These kind of things can happen to adults too. Last year, when I got divorced, I had disturbing things happening around my house. These things were mostly happening in my personal space and they didn't affect anyone else living here in the same way. Items moving around and strange disembodied voices. They calmed down when I calmed down.

The strange things are back to business now that I'm in a state up emotional upheaval again. I had to take my cat to the emergency vet over the weekend. I got him back yesterday but I am still on edge and the stuff in my bedroom keeps moving around. The socks in my drawer became unmatched and I didn't do it.

My dad said, on the phone over the weekend, that poltergeist activity happens with younger people - he says that about sleep paralysis too and I am still having that and I am 38 years old.

My best guess is that I put off a lot of energy when I am troubled. Maybe your experience with the exploding glass was the energy that you put off while you were growing up. That's my opinion.

Thank you for an interesting story!

- Maria

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: