You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Grysmannetjie

Real Ghost Stories

The Grysmannetjie

 

I worked the nightshift for eight years in a private hospital in Pretoria during 1996 up to 2003. During this period I experienced strange things. This hospital was built in 1904 with funds from Holland. It was non-profit, even when I worked there it was still non-profit. It is actually a historical place. It could have been a museum if it was empty without patients. I just want to give you a lay out of the place before start my story.

When entering the front door of the hospital you get the reception desk in front of you. Next to the desk on the left is a waiting area with couches. Hanging onto the walls are very old framed photos of the hospital and the staff that worked there years ago, and each patient also gets a booklet about the hospitals history on admission because it is so fascinating. Like I said it is a beautiful historical place with a modern mixed vintage atmosphere. If you stand in front of the admission desk you get a long passage on your left hand side leading to a new part of the hospital. If you turn to your right hand side there is a hospital pharmacy and next to the admission desk on your right there are two wooden doors that open directly into the female ward where I worked. That was the old part of the hospital. It was old but it had character like all the old buildings do.

Standing at the doors that enter the female ward you can see a very long passage. On the right side were all the patients rooms, it started with room no 3 with 6 beds in it. This room was the only one without doors to the stoop and garden. Next to room 3 was room 4 with 2 beds and a double wooden glass door leading to big red polished stoop where patients can sit outside and enjoy the view of a lovely garden in front of them. Still on the right side room 5 follows with 1 bed. Next to room 5 is room 6 with 1 bed. Room 7 and 8 follows with each 2 beds. Then you get a passage that leads outside again to the stoop. If you skip this passage you get room 9 and 10 with 4 beds and then the last female ward no 11 with 2 beds. From where the female ward ends you get a square lay out with very old tiles that was the centre from where the hospital started way back in 1904. Out of this square right side is the matron office left side is a door going outside to another garden and new part of the hospital. Before going out the door there is a little church prayer room with an antique organ Bible and antique chairs for family to sit when a patient dies the windows of this room is coloured glass like a church window. This room takes you way back in time when you see it. This square space is between the female and male ward from this square you look into the male ward with also a long passage and the same layout all the rooms on the right with wooden doors going to the stoop. On the left side entering the female ward were patient bathroom and toilets, linen room, stockroom, another bathroom, staff toilet, kitchen, duty room, another stockroom, patient bathroom, sluice, another toilet and bathroom.

When I started to work there everybody told me about the "grysmannetjie" in English it means the grey little man. The staff that worked there for years said that many patients saw this "grysmannetjie" I laughed it off because I knew how nurses can try to scare new staff on nightshift, and some patients' get confused during the night because of sleeping tablets and medication.

I must say during these eight years there were patients that couldn't sleep at night. Some of them put on their bed lights and read right through the night and then asked to be shifted to another room the following day. One old lady just said it out loud one night. She rang her bell and just told me straight that she was sick and tired of this ghost attacking her when she wanted to sleep and could we please move her to another room. She said every time she closed her eyes to tried to sleep this thing would strangle her. She didn't have a sleeping tablet because she was not a trouble sleeper, and she was well aware about everything and her surroundings. We moved her and the problem was solved. The other poor patients left their lights on for the rest of the night because they over heard the old lady because she was a little deaf and said it out so loud. We tried to comfort them but they seemed to believe the old lady and room 10 stayed awake that whole night. Well I didn't blame them at all.

On another occasion it was quite busy and this happened at nine o'clock at night. I was busy doing all the patients' blood pressures, when I saw a woman in a very old fashion gown walking down the passage on her way to the male ward. I followed her to ask her where she was going because everyone was supposed to be in their beds for medication and to let their vital data be monitored. She walked slowly and I could see she was on her own mission. She was a short lady with dark brown short old fashion curled hairstyle. I saw her from the back. She was even fastening her gowns belt while walking. Her gown was shiny like that type of material that is out of fashion now with big red, blue and orange flowers on it with a dark back ground. As I followed her she turned left and walked right through the wall before she reached the square that separates the female ward from the male ward. I was stunned. She looked so real and she walked in the passage that was filled with dim light but bright enough for me not to think a ghost will walk just like that while the lights is still on.

On another occasion there was a patient whose child played with unseen children in the garden. It was visiting hour and we just took over from day staff. I did rounds to check the drips and she asked me to go and call her child in because she felt embarrassed about the way he was making noise running and playing with his unseen friends in the garden. I checked him from the stoop and he was running and laughing and playing with other children that we could not see. I asked her if this is his normal behaviour. She told me that he could see things. He was about seven years old. Well if that was imaginary friends or ghosts I don't know for sure but it looked funny but what he saw was real to him. I still wonder about that one.

One night I did rounds with a nurse who worked with me. The batteries in the night torch we used were a bit flat. Usually we used flat batteries because the light is then not as bright as when the batteries are full. It is just less disturbing for the patients when the torch is dim and not so bright. It was time for other batteries but we had to use that torch for the night because that was all we had at that time. I went into room eleven and the other nurse was following. This torch just made a tiny light just enough to see a dim little light where you need it. All of a sudden I felt someone in my way when I entered the room. Something struggled with me to get out, I was in its way, we circled around each other before it went out the room behind me I could feel how it pass me at my back side. I could feel how it clung onto my jersey. I turned around and the other nurse ran down the passage for a view meters. I got so scared that I put on the light in the room. I just made an excuse to the patients who was bedridden in that room at that stage, and told them that we are going to rub them and turn them. After we settled the two patients the nurse told me she saw a black figure running from behind me out of the room with a great speed and disappeared as it reached the passage to the male ward.

One night a patient in room four was talking with the empty chair in front of her. She was the only patient in that room on that stage. Room four was almost across the duty room. We could hear her conversation and it all made sense all the stuff she was talking about with this guy sitting on the chair next to her bed. The only problem was that we couldn't see him. The nurse who worked with us that night went to her door and asked her to whom is she talking to and she said that he is a patient from the male ward and he can't sleep. She was a sweet old lady. She said we must not chase him because she enjoys his company. She talked until morning hours with someone on that chair and then apparently he left, and gone back to his own room because she told him to sleep tight then, and she went back to sleep.

The girls who worked at reception used to come and make coffee during the night in our kitchen. They used to sleep in the morning hours because on that stage the hospital didn't had an emergency unit. It was like a clinic with admissions from the doctors' rooms during the day and booked cases for theatre. The point is, for them working at reception it was very quiet after their work for the night is done and they slept for a view hours before four o'clock in the morning when we offered them breakfast. We used to make toast and eggs every morning at four o'clock and enjoyed breakfast on the stoop before we start with the patients at half past four. It was a lovely place to work for and we were like family all of us. Later on they changed the pharmacy that was next to reception into a 24hour emergency unit and shift the pharmacy to another spot in the hospital. Only then the girls at reception couldn't sleep anymore because it became busier. It happened a view times with the girls who worked at reception when they slept. I say girls because they were two girls who worked there during the night, shifts against each other. When the one is on shift the other one is off, if you know what I mean?

The one girl told us she can't sleep there at reception because she claims that on several occasions somebody literally shakes her on her shoulder to wake her up and when she looks there is nobody. She also told us that one night she was finish with all her work and she was very tired and she went to sit on the couch and put her head on the edge of the cough and closed her eyes without sleeping she just chilled out for a view minutes, then she heard footsteps she lifted her head and checked but there were nobody.

We did rounds every half hour to check the patients and their drips. It was very strange when room eleven rang her bell after our round because she was fast asleep when we checked on her. I went to attend to her call. When I entered the room she was snoring. I looked for the bell. The bed was against the wall with the wire of the bell hanging from the wall stuck between the bed and the wall and the switch where you put the bell on was stuck hanging under the bed against the wall and the bed. There is no way that this patient could reach this bell to put it on, but it was put on. I put it off and got it out of there and put it at the right place where she could reach it. I was angry with the nurses who washed her because they didn't check when finished in that room. The thing is the bells they used in that hospital was old fashioned. The bells switched on manually like a light switch. Someone or something switched on that bell underneath a bed because that patient was bedridden and not able to reach under her bed at all. There were no one so who was it?

One morning between three o'clock and half past three I actually saw the "grysmannetjie". In that hospital they send the patients with big operations to a high care room in the other new part of the hospital for observation just for the first night post op. At three o'clock two nurses must leave the ward to go and wash these patients in high care. Usually we were three or four on duty. That night we were four on duty and two nurses left the ward to go and wash the patients. It was me and my charge sister that was left behind in the ward. She was writing reports in the duty room, and I went to the passage between room eight and nine because there was an empty bed that need to be fixed with linen. I pulled the bed halfway into the long passage and then I saw this figure coming out of room ten. It was a grey long man. I would say he was at least 1.8 meter high and medium build. When he came out of that room he saw me. I got a fright when I saw him, and he got a fright when he saw me. You can say we got a fright for seeing each other. He made a quick U-turn back into the room. I just stood there frozen for a view seconds then I made my way very fast to the duty room. I told the sister who worked with me. She worked there for many years. She told me that it must be the "grysmannetjie" because patients who had seen him prescribes him as this grey figure that stands next to their beds and just staring at them for a while then he leaves the room. I admit after that I was really scared to do rounds. I never did round alone after that night.

My father was also admitted in that same hospital but it was many years ago before I even knew I would work there someday. He experienced in the male ward a nasty attack during one night. He said something grabbed him by his throat one night. He also told me that he saw a lady with dark long hair standing in the room he was in. She was holding a child in her arms, and said in Afrikaans that she and the child suffer a lot then she disappeared.

Sorry for the length of this story but if I managed to shorten it then it would be too confusing to understand.

Other hauntings by Trix

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from South Africa

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Trix, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

Lallie (2 stories) (3 posts)
 
4 years ago (2019-12-03)
This definitely sounds like Zuid-Afrikaanse Hospital! Such a beautiful place. I loved reading about your experiences there.

Thank you!
rayssmith (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2016-12-02)
hay Trix I really love reading you stories and the way you describe the hospital it sounds like Z-A hospital witch is a beautiful hospital, it's sounds so interesting. In kempton there's an abandoned hospital said to be haunted, I will wright about it when I can find the accompanying photos to support 😁
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
10 years ago (2014-06-12)
Hi sistermary, sorry for seeing your comment so late. Thanks for your comment. It's true-hospitals is like a ghost magnet. ❤
sistermary (4 stories) (13 posts)
 
11 years ago (2013-09-04)
Hi Trix, sorry if this post is a little late. That was a lovely story and very well written. I enjoyed the way that you described things.
Your story reminded me of my own experiences as an RN in SA. I don't think there is a single hospital that I've worked in that I haven't heard of or experienced strange things.
Thanks for sharing!
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-07-12)
Hi truthInDarkness, thanks for your comment. It would be nice if you write your experience and share it with us man. Take care. Trix. ❤
TruthInDarkness (4 stories) (259 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-07-08)
As with your other stories, this is a great story. I like reading longer ones because they tend to be more detailed. I definitely hope to be able to see spirits some day. Actually, I might have seen one. I'll tell about it in a story that I post.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-05)
Hi Troyarn, thank you very much for you complement it's much appreciated. The reason I kept on working there is because it was a great place to work for with the most loving staff and doctors, I cried when I resigned because it was like saying goodbye to a big family that became part of my heart. Enjoy your day Troyan and take care. Trix. ❤
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-05)
Hi DCinAZ, thank you very much. I try hard with the English I know I'm not good at it sometimes. You make me shy with all your compliments, but what can I say except for thank you very much to a very kind person. Have a lovely day. Trix ❤
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-05)
Hi to you too Watersprite, thank you very much. No don't worry you don't need to apologise at all. No I didn't see her face she was walking down the passage away from me, I only saw her from the back. To be honest with you if I can chose I would rather see the women in the gown than the Grysmannetjie, because she looked like a human, but he looked like a ghost. It is funny though that he got a fright of me also, maybe ghosts can be caught unexpected as well when they realised they have been seen. The same thing happened with me in my aunts' house with the ghost of her husband we got a fright of each other.
You must also enjoy your holidays!
Have a lovely night. Trix ❤
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-05)
Very good story, Trix! This place sounds extra creepy and I doubt I'd last long working there.
DCinAZ (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-05)
Another great story Trix! I just love the way you describe your surroundings, you always paint a very rich, flowing and expansive picture of things around you. From the front entrance, patients rooms, garden, all the way to the Chapel. My favorite part is when the two of you find yourselves staring at each other, frozen for that moment, no one moving. (I had to chuckle at that) Thanks so much, I always look forward to reading your stories, sometimes I save yours for last so I can enjoy it longer. Deane 😊 ❤
Watersprite (3 stories) (85 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-03)
Hi, Trix, I was glad to see another story from you! Your descriptions are great and really add to the story. It's difficult to pick out a "favorite" part of your story, but I enjoyed the part about the lady in the old-fashioned hospital gown. Forgive me if I misunderstood, but could you see her face at all? I think that would have frightened me more than anything, even more than the little grey guy. I am sure it was not funny at the time, but I got a good chuckle out of the two of you scaring the crap out of each other! LOL:)) Thanks for sharing and happy holidays!

Best wishes,
Watersprite ❤
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-12-02)
Hi smuchan, I'm Afrikaans and actually you write it grys (grey) mannetjie (little man), and it's two words but the staff decided to make it one word by making a name out of it that fits the appearance of the ghost, that's why-Grysmannetjie. Thanks. Trix 😊
smuchan (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2010-12-02)
uhm... I don't think its called grysmannetjie. Sinec I'm dutch I'm sure you write it like Grijsmannetje. Anyhow. It seems quiet scary and I seriously NEVER want to go there.
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-02)
Hallo Darkness, thanks man at least I knew that night that the 'Grysmannetjie' won't bother me after this chinario between the two of us but I was still scared. The spiritual world is very strange and interesting and there are so many things we still not know. That place is very interesting but the museum atmosphere makes it so spooky. In the garden is also a view sculptures of generals that fought in the war. The sculptures are of their heads only and each one is moulded onto these squire pillars. Anyway I talk too much, sorry. Have a lovely day. Trix
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-02)
Hi Jarman, you are right every hospital has its ghosts. Three weeks ago I worked in ICU for two nights to help them out. During the second night after two o'clock in the morning a lady voice was calling my name three times. It was so silly when she call me I would react by going to the other staff and say: I'm here who called for help? After the second time changing my name to paw- paw I ignored the voice. I had two patients which the one didn't had sedatives and she had I terrible night waking up about three times terrified I actually had to calm her down. While I was sitting there writing report I saw a faint shadow there at her bed and the curtains moved like there could have been a breeze going through there. I might connect the attack on her with the voice. Enjoy your day and thanks for the comment. Trix ❤
Trix (14 stories) (407 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
Hi Worried_Brit_Chick, thanks for sharing a comment, yes it was creepy and after I saw the Grysmannetjie I was really scared to do rounds. He was the main peanut in the packet there scaring some of the patients. Enjoy your day further. Trix ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
Hey Trix that was a great story, I loved the description of it all seems like a very interesting place. Seems like there are a lot of unresting souls still walking the hallways probably unaware that they have actually passed. I have heard of a few experiences where a living person and a spirit have actually been frightened upon seeing each other its quite weird when you think about it.

Thanks for another great story.

Dan
JarMan (guest)
+1
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
Hospitals are a place of healing and a place of great pain and agony. It only makes sense that they are a breeding around for paranormal events.
Worried_Brit_Chick (6 stories) (108 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2010-12-01)
great story Trix, those goings on sound so creepy! I would have been out of there as soon as the old grey man was mentioned! ❤

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: