You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: Funeral Home Incident

Real Ghost Stories

Funeral Home Incident

 

This is only the second telling of this tale in almost forty years. In 1973, at the ever observant age of four, I had my first brush with the paranormal.

On a hazy autumn morning, my mother unexpectedly interrupted my routine when she dressed me in new "going somewhere"clothes. She explained to me that we were to attend a wake that day. Even at that young age I knew that a wake had something to do with death. Furthermore I could sense her discomfort, so I did not ask any questions. She did add that it was not for a relative of ours, but of her friend Geraldine.

As our taxi pulled into the funeral home, Geraldine greeted us and accompanied in to meet the family. Unlike my mother, I knew no one there and felt a little intimidated. So I was relieved when Mom asked Geraldine to stay with me as she went into the viewing parlour to pay her respects. Geraldine sat with me in the lobby as family members conversed in small groups. I looked around, hoping to see any children that might be there. There were none, but I couldn't help noticing one person in particular. An older gent, probably in his late fifties, was listening in on a conversation extremely intently. He was a little gaunt and seemed to be very worried. He stood there with his hand on his cheek, shoulder to shoulder with one of the mourners. I watched as he left this group to listen in on another and then another, looking a little more pained each time. No one even so much as looked at him, save me.

I remember wondering, with my innocent and limited grasp of the concept of mortality, if he was the man we were here to see. With that the man turned and looked directly at me. He looked at me inquisitively and then offered up a meek smile. My eyes widened and I turned my gaze away. My heart racing, I could not resist looking back once more as I tugged on Geraldine's blouse. I successfully got her attention but to my dismay (relief?) he could no longer be found. It was just then when my mother made her way back to us asking if I was ready to go home. I was more than willing. She thanked me for being a "big boy" and behaving so well while she was gone. Not wanting to ruin it (I was seldom a "big boy"lol) I felt I should keep mum.

I have always known that the situation could be rationalized as one not of a paranormal nature, but the feeling I experienced were so intense that no rational explanation ever has ever seemed to satisfy.

Why would no one acknowledge him and it seemed that he only saw me after I wondered if he were dead. I scanned the room thoroughly for him as we left to no avail. Whereas I easily noticed the strange man before.

To this very day, I have never been able to shake the eerie suspicion that I witnessed a ghost at his own wake.

What do you think?

Other hauntings by 510mot

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 510mot, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

marleysma (5 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-06-30)
Wow! I am so amazed by how sensistive and intuitive kids can be. I could picture you at that age so well because my son is four. I know that he has intuitions and there are so many things he thinks and senses that he doesn't express. Kids don't 'think to express' these things because they usually don't see anyone else expressing such real things that are purely based on the other senses. Having been so sensitive growing up, and feeling very lonely, I try to acknowledge and bring out the things he picks up on so that he learns to be more aware of those subtle but important observations. I think that we aren't reaching our potential for experience unless we have that level of awareness, and if we acknowledged it more openly at a young age we would all be much more intuitive later on. ๐Ÿ˜Š
troyarn (5 stories) (479 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-09)
Another great story, 510mot! I do believe you saw the deceased man. I can only wonder what he was hearing from the mourners to make him so dispondent. Thanks for the story!
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
to:Sds,Pjod,HappySpirit,Zzsgranny,IndigoChild,Sharp3003,PestilentPixie,&Mustang.While I regret not telling this tale sooner,I'm truly grateful to have had the chance to share it with such kindred spirits. I'm currently working on my next entry (one I'm sure I would not have told if it weren't for your kindness). I hope to hear from all of you again.Thanks-Mike
Sharp3003 (1 stories) (22 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Yeah, I guess something like that would stick out even at the age of 4. I do recall now the preschool I went to and a few things about it.
mustang (5 stories) (749 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Hi 510mot. Even though most people do not remember much from that age, some things do stick out. If something tragic happens or something affects you emotional like that, you tend to NEVER forget it. Younger children are more likely to notice or see things like that because they are very open-minded and not tainted by the world. Also, I think most adults are caught up in their own world (bubble) and too busy to notice anything NOT tangible. This is probably the reason why no one else noticed. AND, you were the only child at the wake. Thanks for sharing your story with us.

SHELBY ๐Ÿ˜Š
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
510mot: No problem!...Like I said, not bad grammar at all... Sometimes we read (not reead ๐Ÿ˜†) AND write too quickly! ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜†
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Sharp: ๐Ÿ˜† That's okay!...I had to re-read it myself!...Not improper grammar at all, just improper eyeballs I guess!...Or just reeading too quickly?... โค
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Thanks again to everyone for your comments. I have been a little concerned that the sentence Zzsgranny quoted might prove a bit confusing, so no offense taken Sharp. As for the clarity of such an old recollection, I can say that seeing a ghost at that young an age leaves a lasting impression. P.s. Way to have my back,Granny!-lol
Sharp3003 (1 stories) (22 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Thank you for the clarification zz, I did misread that part.
PestilentPixie (4 stories) (52 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
I believe that you are correct in what you witnessed. I can only imagine the emotions that were running through you. The fact that you were able to see and still explain in great detail proves to me that the encounter you had made a lasting impression. Your story is well written and I believe you did a great job explaining everything. Thank you for sharing.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
Sharp: The sentence reads thusly:

"She did add that it was not for a relative of ours, but of her friend Geraldine."

Meaning, of course, "relative of Geraldine's"

๐Ÿ˜Š โค
Sharp3003 (1 stories) (22 posts)
-1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
No offense...first, you stated that you were going to a wake for a friend of your Mom's, Geraldine. Yet, Geraldine greeted you and your mom at the wake. Second, how much do we actually remember at the age of 4? I don't recall anything at that age.
Indigo_Child (3 stories) (25 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-24)
thanks for this story. I believe you did indeed see the man that passed away. I can also imagine the emotions that ran through you when you saw the man...
When I was at my Nanas funeral her wreath on her coffin moved as if someone had brushed passed touching the flowers admiringly... There was no wind inside the church at all and I know it was my nana as she loved and admired beautiful flowers. I think she was there and it was her touching her flowers. I wasn't scared at all just wished I could have seen her too.
I hope you have some more experiences to write about. Love and light.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-23)
510mot: Well, I think it's great that you have a significant other who will listen to you!...Some of us aren't so fortunate ๐Ÿ˜†...We'll be here to read your other accounts, if you have any...

On a side note: I've noticed that since I've started posting and reading stories on this site, I've also become more open with my beliefs to others outside of our little "family" here... You know what?...There are A LOT of people out there with the same beliefs...They're just looking for someone to listen to them, and not call them "Loonie Toonie"! ๐Ÿ˜†...Of course, there are going to be those (like my Mom, and husband) who can't be swayed no matter how much proof is provided, but just knowing I'm not alone helps so much...

Looking forward to reading more from you ๐Ÿ˜Š
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-22)
Sadly enough, zzsgranny, I did not ask either anything about what I had seen. I think I knew that my story would have been dismissed as cute. 38 years later, my fiancee is the only one I have relayed this story. (Other than the gracious Your Ghost Stories readers, of course.)
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-22)
510mot: Cool experience... One (or two ๐Ÿ˜†) questions: Did you ever take the opportunity to discuss this with either your Mom or Geraldine?...If so, what were their reactions?...

I think you did see the dearly departed...

Thank you for posting!
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-21)
Hi,thanks for the feedback. My impression, judging from his expression is that he was just figuring out that he had died. The smile he shared with me seemed to signal resignation. The visuals are still vivid.
HappySpirit (187 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-21)
I am wondering - what was the deceased upset about? We'll never know but I would guess he was upset because everyone was talking about him as if he were dead and gone and he "knew" that he was not. Probably was a bit disoriented.
Pjod (3 stories) (978 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-01-21)
I agree that you saw the spirit of the man, at his own Wake.
A good friend of mine past away at the young age of 35, after a reaction to mixing up two diff Meds... While at his wake, I noticed that pictures, taped to poster boards would fall off onto the floor. Sure, some may have been normal wear, but I had a suspected that he may have been in the room, causing some of those pictures to fall. Maybe trying to get our attention the only way he could at the time.
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-01-21)
Thank you,sds. I agonized a bit over this posting. Not only because it is my first, but also because I could see how someone else might feel differently about its nature. Were it not for several other events in my life, I might have chosen not to trust my instincts. I can't wait to read of your like-experience.
sds (14 stories) (1436 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-01-21)
Hi,

I still feel that it might be possible that whatever you have seen was the spirit of the person, who died. In our culture and beliefs, the spirit does not go away immediately after the demise. During funeral, it is believed to be with the relatives and loved ones trying to know about the reactions of them.

A good narration and I experienced a similar one, which I would like to narrate in my writing.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: