You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Family / Friends Visits :: Wait, I Still Have Questions

Real Ghost Stories

Wait, I Still Have Questions

 

The false Y2K scare notwithstanding, the turn of the millennia yet proved to be an intimately impactful year in my life.

The year before had brought me my beautiful first born, who was now on her way to meet her grandfather for the first time. What she didn't know was that this would be one of the last times she, or any of us, would have with him. My father was 60 miles away in a hospital, recently diagnosed with advanced and aggressive cancer. What was worse was this meeting incidental as we were en route to the same town for a funeral. Our beloved Aunt Rita, my father's baby sister, had lost with the same monster that was ravaging my father.

I am one of 7 children. Most of us still live in Lake Charles, LA. But one of my brothers and I lived some distance away in Lafayette. Arrangements were made for my small family and Kenneth to stay at our brother's house in town.

When we got to Lake Charles, we went first to see my father. He was weak and on meds but awake enough to sing my daughter a song that my family sings to all the babies and toddlers. She recognized the little ditty and hugged him. It wasn't long before he grew tired and needed to rest. So we left for the funeral home for my Aunt's wake. The funeral would be the next day and it would be early. We left there and went to our brothers' home for the night.

Upon waking the next morning, Kenneth had a tale to tell that blew us away! According to Kenneth he was visited while he slept by our late cousin Rene. She was a lovely, spirited young woman we lost to an automobile accident about 6 years prior. Kenneth described this dream as concurrent with reality. Meaning that he was in my brother's house, wearing the clothes he slept in, etc... Mirroring reality to a tee. He told us that Rene sat on his bed with him and told him that she was there to help Aunt Rita crossover and not to worry for her. She said that soon my dad would be with her as well and that all was as it should be. This was no shock as Dad was in a sorry state and Kenneth felt relieved that the suffering would soon subside. What she said next, though was truly shocking. She said that she came to him to warn that one of us would soon be sick as well but not to give up because it could be beaten. He asked her who would it be and all she would say was not to worry. The dream ended there.

Six days later, my father was gone. So in the span of one week my family lost two cherished members to cancer. What a year!

Life goes on and so we returned to our home in Lafayette, doing the usual day to day things. My daughters' nights however would change quite a bit. She was only about a year and half old and still waking nightly for a bottle. This was my week to tend to feedings. (Yes! I am a good Daddy!) One night I awoke to her cries and stumbled towards her room. Usually she would cry until I picked her up. This night she stopped before I got to her door. I walked in to find her standing in her crib. She said to me "The man" in toddler-speak.I asked,"What man,Sweetie?" looking around the room. "He sing" she said. I could not get anything more from her. I wrote it off as a dreams. But dreams have power in my family.

That same week, as I was settling in for a mid-afternoon nap, the phone rang rousing me. I was in that mode of sleep where you're resting so lightly that you are aware of your surroundings. I answered the phone groggily and was greeted with a familiar voice. It sounded like my Dad, but plenty of my relatives sound a lot like my Father. "Hey boy!" Whatcha doin'?"said the caller. I am struggling to place the voice and not wanting to offend so I played along. "Nothing much" I say. "When are you going to come visit?" says the mystery caller. "Who is this?" I demanded! To which he answered, "Who do think!" By now I am suspecting this is someone's sick idea of a joke! This guy sounds like my Dad but he has passed away. Maybe this jerk doesn't know so I say, "Okay I'll visit. Where are you at?" But he evades the question saying "Monkey...you know where I am!" My jaw dropped. Only my dad called me that! Was this really my Dad? "You haven't been by yet. Come see me,Monkey." "Dad is that you?" I choked. "Be Good, Monk! I have to go..."he trailed. "WAIT! I still have "the line went dead," Questions..."

I laid back down absolutely dumbstruck. I don't remember falling asleep or even hanging up the phone. I awoke hours later wondering what had happened. Did I receive a phone call from my Dad? Or was it a dream? My head struggled but my heart was certain. I went visit my Dad's grave the next day. And all has returned to normal.

It's been 11 years and since then and my brother Kenneth was diagnosed with kidney cancer...

And YES HE BEAT IT!

Other hauntings by 510mot

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Louisiana

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, 510mot, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

BeagleMom (3 stories) (84 posts)
+1
8 years ago (2016-09-06)
Well 510mot, here it is 5 years later, and you are still generating comments! This story of yours has been placed right in my ❤'s I love all of your stories, but this one got me. It is a wonderful tale! Thank you for sharing!

❤ Mother of Beagles
Zander (7 stories) (146 posts)
 
8 years ago (2016-04-17)
What a beautiful story. Thank you. "Dreams have power in my family" ~ I love that. Same here, neighbor -- originally from Mississippi.
SwampwaterBoonie (7 posts)
+1
11 years ago (2013-09-07)
I can't say where he is, but his story is great, Granny. I am going to put this one in my favorites.
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
 
11 years ago (2013-09-05)
Where, oh where has our 510mot gone? Oh where, oh where can he be?
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+3
11 years ago (2012-12-24)
To one and all (you too, Lou) ,on this special night I wish a Very Merry Christmas! Peace on Earth and to all a good night!
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+2
12 years ago (2012-09-02)
Wow. I would have thought interest in this story had pretty much petered out. This story is reflects a defining moment in my personal belief system. I am glad you liked it. I would have thought that this story was whizzing its time away in mothballs. Thanks again, 510mot
MoonWolf (15 posts)
+1
12 years ago (2012-09-02)
WOOHOO! I'm so glad your brother beat it!:D I think our loved ones will always find a way to show us that they are okay.
hippiechick83 (5 stories) (112 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-08-11)
That was amazing... How the bleep did I miss this? Holy canoli batman is all I can say...wow. Great story dude. 😳
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-30)
You all should know that there is a second generation Mot on YGS. She does plan to tell her of her experiences. Her name is DrX and since summer is in full swing I am sure we'll hear from her soon.
Indigo_Child (3 stories) (25 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-30)
Awesome story 510mot, really sorry for you losses but also very glad your brother is doing well.
So amazing that your daughter saw your dad too.
Has she posted any of her experiences as you mentioned earlier? Thank you once again for posting this, truly is a lovely story. In love and light. ❤
winx717 (2 stories) (31 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-20)
Oh - this one made me cry! What an absolutely wonderful story:) It gave me chills and you told it so well. Thank you so much for sharing ❤
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-15)
Malahkai, you do have a point, its always prudent to step back and think, what am I really dealing with. I would be interested to know if anyone here has "unmasked" a bad entity posing as a loved one by envoking the name of Jesus Christ.

Personally, I can identify my father with emotions when he visits, so if I don't have those emotions with activity, I'm wary of those but will try and interpret their intent. Anyway, I digress. Thanks Mot interacting with us re the posts!
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-14)
I would like to share with all of you my astonishment at the positive response this story has generated. It certainly is a lot to take in with lots of possible explanations. I was careful not to embelish or make claims that it was a definitive paranormal experience. I didn't want to lead people to a conclussion, but let them come to their own. In doing so, I was resolved to receiving the full array of responses and degrees of belief. So I am a little surprised at the consensus and thankful, too.-Mike
nighthawkman (3 stories) (15 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
I have put this story in my Favourites because of how the story is told as well as a fantastic experience for you 😊
nighthawkman (3 stories) (15 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
Firstly, glad Kenneth pulled through ok just as it was told in the dream! Totally believe it was your Dads way of saying I'm ok and if you go visit him you would feel better, but how wonderful being contacted through an actual phone call 😊 apart from the phone call it's very simular to my experience. (My Comforting Friend) take a look.
Your story has gotten me thinking about my story as since my experience I have had many of dreams through my life but always wrote them off as just dreams when perhaps they were something much more! 😕
She138 (13 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
Congrats to Kenneth on beating the cancer! The part you wrote about your father singing the little tune to your daughter reminded me of my late Papaw. He used to sing to me little ditties like that... Thanks for awakening a wonderful memory for me.:)
Malahkai (4 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-13)
You are in a Very Tough situation, and it doesn't look like your asking for Help or are Concerned about what is going on. So what I might tell you might not help, since you might Get Angy...upset...but ok.

In Some Cases, A Spirit will get in Contact with you in different kind of Manifistation and for Different Reasons. One Account wenn a Spirit came to Show himself to someone went something like this.

First Spirit comes and goes, so the targeted person can get used it, then the spirit comes and stays for a while, and either will try to get you in a conversation or will wait until you talk to him,
You and the Spirit will become familar...
The Spirit will then get closer and more deeper discusions,
He will try to live "his believe" or his "opinion" to his target, by telling you what you should, think, believe, act, and feel ect...
Befor you know it your under the emotional bondage to a spirit were you believe cannot funktion in life anymore without it, or miss it... Love it...

Ths is what I would call Passive Possesion. Were the target will be so manipulated by the spirit during its manifistation and wenn not it its material form.

So yeah, if you don't know who, or what or try to see if its really a Family Member or Friend, Test it... Remember your Life, the way you live and your children will be on the line.

Next time you believe its a Spirit of some sort, ask him about Jesus Christ, try to get him into a Converstation about Jesus Christ... See what happens... If you notice the Apperance or Voice change in the Spirit then command it in the name of Jesus Christ to depart and not to return.
Blaqwynter (2 stories) (10 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-12)
Wow what a tale!

There are such terms as "phantom calls" He was just letting you know that he's alright, and wanted you to visit his gave. Now as for Kenneth, he was having a premonition dream from the dead. They do come to our dreams to tell us things that we need to know. Also good for Kennith for beating cancer!
Lilady4 (7 stories) (427 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-11)
510mot: What a wonderful story, you had me in tears 😭. I want to offer my condolences for your losses. I too am glad that Kenneth beat his cancer. I love it when family members communicate with you even in the afterlife.
Thanks for sharing such a beautiful story.
Love & Light, Rachel ❤
510mot (3 stories) (262 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-11)
Thank you to everyone. The psychic aspect of this story isn't lost on me. My kids are showing signs so we'll be attracting more activities for years to come. We get visitations at my mothers home these days. Mom said that door knobs giggle and cabinet doors open. Ome night she said she felt someone lying beside her in bed. I guess Dad has forgotten about the divorce. Lol.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-11)
Thank you for sharing this story, 510... A very personal one indeed, and I am very sorry for the losses you and your family have endured. Your family sounds like a group of wonderful people, and I'm very glad to hear that your brother beat his illness. I do like to think that our relatives watch over us after they depart, as I'm pretty sure is the case for yours.

It's funny, I had no idea you lived in Lake Charles. One of my good friends for many years lives there too. I hadn't ever met or heard of anyone else there!

As for the phone call, I have heard of this sort of thing happening, and because he used your nickname and talked to you in such a familiar way, I really think it may have been your father on the call. Whether or not it was a lucid dream he came to you in, I can't say... But I think it's likely, especially because of the manner your cousin visited, too. It seems to be the best way your family communicates from the other side without scaring anyone!
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-11)
I forgot mention this in my previous post. This is going into my favorites.
geetha50 (15 stories) (986 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-05-11)
The first thing that pop into mind was how sad it is to lose so much family in a short time. The way you wrote your story, I take it that your family is really close. Your cousin coming to your brother just proved that those we love will always be there to support us no matter where they are. Your father proved that to when he called you to tell to come and visit. I think your daughter saw her grandfather one last time.

Also, I'm sorry for your losing your Cousin, then your aunt, and then your father. Now you and your family know that their are in a better place. Give me congratulations to your brother for beating the cancer. It's a great feeling all on its own.
Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
+5
13 years ago (2011-05-11)
510mot,
My deepest condolences for the losses you've suffered with the passing of your father and his sister, especially so close together. Though it does bring some comfort knowing that our loved ones return to guide our crossing.
You know that was your father on the phone. After all, he was doing what fathers do, keeping their kids in line, reminding you to show respect for those that have gone before you. By honoring your father you teach a valuable lesson to your children, and they do the same for theirs.
So happy to hear that your brother kicked the big C's behind! How many validations is that now? It sounds like your family has a psychic river running through your bloodline. Strong stuff.
Thank you for sharing your story Mike, I too am sending this to my fav's. ❤
DARKNESS (3 stories) (2022 posts)
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-11)
510 Mate this is a great story no wonder you still have questions, I'm sorry for the loss of your relatives, that's great you went to see your father the next day I believe this is exactly what he meant. It is good to know that this life is not the end isn't it! 😊
Thats awesome your brother beat the cancer, cancer is an absolute dirtbag of a disease I lost my Grandmother to it I know the effects it can have. I'm glad all is well for you now.

Great story Mike thanks for sharing it. 😊

Dan
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-10)
510mot - if you have never had a chance to read a story on here by applerose called "Rock-a-Bye Baby," I would highly recommend it. This one, as well as a granny's "He Wanted to Be There Too," are confirmation like yours, that our family members do check in on our babies (and their babies LOL).

Lots of people can claim to be visited by a deceased love one. But to receive a phone call from him? That's not something everyone can say. I believe that that took an incredible amount of of willpower and determination on his part to make that call. Cherish that, Mike, that's special ❤
zzsgranny (18 stories) (3329 posts) mod
+3
13 years ago (2011-05-10)
510mot: Well, this was certainly worth the wait!...First of all, I'm sorry for your losses, but so happy about you're brothers recovery 😁...

I agree with the others in that I believe your dad was singing to your daughter to try to comfort her... Thats what Grand-dads do!...

The phone call... Remember the conversation we had about my shadow puppies?...Same state of relaxation... There are others here who have experienced these types of visits in the very same state, so your heart didn't lie to you... And I LOL'd, because when you "wake" from something like that, your first thought is "WTH was that all about?" 😆...I'm sure since then, you visit more regularly, right?...

Great post, thank you for sharing... Going straight to my faves! ❤
looney85 (3 stories) (188 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-10)
510mot, this was a beautiful story! And I'm sorry for both of your losses. I truly believe that your father waited for a perfect timing to reach out to you, and also to comfort your daughter.

Has anything else happened since?

Thanks again for sharing!

Looney ❤
taz890 (12 stories) (1380 posts)
+6
13 years ago (2011-05-10)
510mot wow powerful story and so touching thank you so much for sharing.
The loss of a loved one is hard but 2 so close even when you know its comming its still a hard blow to take, I know from when my partner lost his mum to cancer (and with altsimers to boot) the pain was terrible to take, I can't imagin how it must have been for you and your family.
Nice to know that your aunt rita was there to help them cross over.

As for your dad singing to your daughter and calling you on the phone what a wonderful way of showing he is still in touch, and with you too.

Got to go now and dry off these tears so touched by this fantastic post ❤ ❤ ❤
Carl
otteer (8 stories) (398 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-05-10)
Lovely story, so sorry for your losses! Sounds like your family knows to keep in touch however, to comfort each other, even after passing.

This story was of great interest to me as I went to my father's grave the other day on the anniversary of his death. My sister was with me and honestly, I wasn't much comfort to her as I kept on saying, he's not here, he's where he needs to be. I just couldn't feel him there. I did hear in my head however, an answer to a question I silently asked my father, "can you see me?" He answered "Of course I can honey." He used to call me honey.

I wondered if it was just me wanting him to answer, or, was it really him. I'm comforted to know it could have been, and, the deceased really do visit their own site as you have indicated. Thanks for sharing and I am so glad your brother beat his cancer, awesome!

Read previous comments

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: