You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Misc :: Former Skeptic Incident 9/26/2021

Real Ghost Stories

Former Skeptic Incident 9/26/2021

 

It has been along time since there has been any incidents in my home. Since my last entry many years ago things have been really quiet. It's almost like everything just stopped. Since my last entry there has been many changes in my life. Marriage, job, new family members, dogs... Something happened today that definitely spooked me.

I was sitting on the second floor of my two-story home in my comfortable easy chair. On the arm of the chair was my cell phone. It was plugged in and charging but at about 50% battery. I checked a text, press the Apple home key, and set the phone back down on the arm of the chair.

Since my last entry other than being married I have now two small dogs. It was getting late and I wanted to take the dogs out for their last bathroom break. I scooped up the heavier older one, carried him downstairs and into my backyard. There I waited while he did his business. I came up the stairs, put him back on the couch, and scooped up the other dog. The entire time my wife is sitting next to the dogs on the couch. As I am carrying the dog into the room with the harness and leash my landline rings. The caller ID talks and says "call from my last name). Just my last name, not my first. I assume the call was from a relative. My wife gets up and hands me the phone and I look at the number and it's my cell phone number. The cell phone that is sitting on the arm of my chair plugged in. I told my wife this and she runs over to my chair to see if there is a call going on. It was really kind of shocking to see that.

I finished taking the dog out and came back in to examine my phone. My cell phone does not have the landline at my home listed anywhere in the contacts. I have no idea how or why my cell phone randomly dialed my landline when it should have no business knowing what my landline number is.

After that my little dog who is a few years old trots into the dining room and begins to half growl and bark at the wall. He put his tail between his legs and he continues to growl. This is not like him whatsoever. He does not do this behavior ever. This went on for about five minutes until I had to scoop him up and take him, the other dog, and my wife into another room. This just happened maybe a few hours ago and I've decided to quickly post it here before I forget all the details. If anything more happens I'll edit this story. If nothing happens then you won't be hearing from me for a while. Be well.

Other hauntings by Scoops

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from New Jersey

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, Scoops, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

8-bitDemigod (8 stories) (38 posts)
+2
2 years ago (2021-10-20)
[at] Valkricry

I've had the same thing happen where I got a call on my cell phone from my own number. While that's not anything paranormal the dog's reaction is kind of odd.
MrsRamsay (guest)
+4
2 years ago (2021-10-04)
Hi skeptic, interesting story. Just a couple things to add to the comments.

One of my two dogs has had similar incidents of barking at a wall/window in my home. She is also the one who is afraid to go outside sometimes, even when she really has to "go." She'll head out with our other border collie, happy as can be, then do a split second U-turn right back in and runs under the bed... Anyway, when your dog barks like that, take photos! If you can, have the Iphone "live" feature on, and here's why: when this happened to us, I took video and then I took "live" photo shots. Nothing was visible in the video, or in the still version of the live shots, but when you pressed the "live" feature, there was a shadow figure looking in the window! Yes, it was super creepy.

And just Friday, we had "new" relatives flying to our city to meet. Basically, it is my half brother we just discovered existed, and he flew down with his wife for a first meeting. As their plane was descending into our local airport, and even though she had her phone on airplane mode, her iphone received a text that was from something called "milk" and it had a PDF document about our shared father (who died in 1968) attached. They both said they had NOT researched him from their phones, had never googled him from their phones. This text just popped up! I had spoken out loud to my (dead) parents lastt week to let us know SOMEHOW if he and my mom knew what was happening, and I'm taking this as a sign. Might there have been a reason someone from the other side would want to call your home phone on that particular day? Birthday or anniversary? This is the second time in five years our phones have done something supernatural. We think.
valkricry (48 stories) (3257 posts) mod
+4
2 years ago (2021-10-04)
Hi Scoops,
I can't help but wonder if you were perhaps the victim of phone number spoofing. Scammers will sometimes change the info on caller ID to read a different name and number than who they really are. I know I've had calls supposedly from me to me on the same phone 😳.
However this doesn't explain (if that is indeed the answer) why your dog acted like he did. Added together certainly is odd to say the least.
SalixArbuscula (7 posts)
+1
2 years ago (2021-10-03)
Hello, Scoops.

Not sure why, but this story got my attention. Perhaps it is your wonderful attention to detail and lack of presuppositions. I went back and also read your other stories; glad things have been peaceful for you lately (barring this incident, anyway)!

One or two points I have questions about first: Was your phone face-up or face-down? Is your chair upholstered with fuzzy/static-y material? Has it been cold/electrically-charged lately? Is your chair powered at all (does it have any wires running through it)? Had you recently dialed your landline from your cell?

Now, I have never owned an Apple device, so correct me if I am wrong in something here, but my theory here is perhaps you could have been armchair-dialed from static charges in the air/from your chair's fabric chancing to pull up your calling app and tapping on a recent number to redial it. Since it sounds like your phone was not locked, it may have taken only 2 chance static discharges to make this improbable call. If this is the case, then wow! What a coincidence, and just be glad it did not happen to select a more awkward recent call, like your boss or something. Of course, one cannot necessarily rule out electrical discharges of a more paranormal nature, but this may be another potential explanation.

As for the dog behavior, don't ya just hate it when they do that?! One of my dogs will occasionally bolt upright and start barking her head off - scaring the daylights out of anyone who happens to be nearby - and it often takes a little bit for me and my human senses to realize what set her off. But usually I get it: Oh, *now* I hear that yappy dog barking halfway down the street; Oh, that's a car door, somebody's here; Ah, the other dog is tauntingly waving his fluffy tail at the other end of the hallway; stuff like that. And then sometimes I can't figure it out; admittedly that can get a bit eerie.

So, my questions here are: Is that dining room wall an outer wall in your home? Does it have a window or a vent that might let in an unusual sound or smell that maybe you didn't/couldn't detect in the moment? What was the other dog doing? With mine, I know if one starts barking, the others tend to join in. Funny that it sounds like the older dog was chill. Not that that really helps narrow down what the stimulus could have been. Has anything else happened since the posting that has clarified this at all? Has the behavior repeated itself, did you find out a bear or something went through the area recently, or there was some big disturbance or something the next block or two over (sirens carry further for fuzzy ears than for ours)?

Anyway, thanks for sharing! Here's hoping things stay peaceful again from here on out.
Rajine (14 stories) (734 posts)
+4
2 years ago (2021-10-01)
Hi Scoops

Such an unusual and random thing to happen to you, I wonder what it could be, were there any other incidents prior to this?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: