You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: My Experiences Past And Present

Real Ghost Stories

My Experiences Past And Present

 

I remember seeing "shadowy" figures at a very young age, around 8-9. I remember one quite vividly; it was one morning as I was leaving my house for school. As I exited my house through the side gate as normal, as clear as day, I saw a black figure peering round the corner and I vaguely remember it smiling at me, before disappearing round the corner as if it were trying to play. I saw the odd figure from time to time but as I grew older I think I began to dismiss this as my imagination and eventually stopped seeing them.

I have lived in this house since just before my first birthday and all the instances I witnessed as a child occurred around my home. I'm now 23 and I'm beginning to notice things again, and I'm not the only one. It began a few weeks ago when I was turning all the lights off downstairs on my way to bed and as I turned the final light off in my front room I heard quite clearly someone whisper my name. Freaked out I got to my bedroom in record time. I mentioned this to my mother the next morning, and she said "maybe we've got a ghost!" which has sparked my memory of the figures I used to see.

My mother has also had experience with a ghost back when she was a younger; she has told me stories along with my grandmother about actually seeing an apparition of a woman floating. They also told me about things being moved around, like my mother's rings, she used to always keep her rings in a copper shell (my grandmother was in the navy) but one day she left them on a shelf in the kitchen instead while she did the washing up, when she went to retrieve her rings they were gone, guess where she found them...

However despite my memories resurfacing about the figures I used to see, I again dismissed this as imagination. A few nights after I heard my name, I was woken to the sound of banging against my wardrobe. A few nights later a stack of games on my desk inexplicably fell off my desk, I tried to account this to wind but it was a very cold night and as such, my windows were closed.

These instances died off for about a week or so. Until yesterday in which my mother, while sitting in the front room reading one of her many books about vampires, noticed a shadowy figure move down the wall next to our television, as if someone were standing in front of the lamp situated behind her, but she was alone. Then about four hours ago I turned the TV off in my room to get to sleep and set the TV remote down next to my phone on the floor next to the bed, after about 30 minutes of trying to sleep, I began to feel increasingly uncomfortable or "unsettled" may be a better word. I then heard someone walking around in my room and coming to a stop by my computer chair which then creaked as though someone had sat in it; this was followed shortly by a very clear and distinct "sigh" in a very feminine tone. Shocked by this I reached for my TV remote to turn the TV on for some light, to find that my remote was gone which I later found under my jeans at the foot of my bed. I left my room to tell my brother what had happened, to which he said

"Last night I had a similar thing, I was watching a movie on my iPod, and the battery was full, after about 5 minutes the screen flickered, went off then came back on for a second then the battery drained instantly. Afterwards I went really cold as if I'd just stood in front of an open freezer"

I have looked around the internet through various sources to try and find some "rational" explanation for it all, and the only thing I can attribute my experiences to is an overactive imagination, but then that doesn't account for my parents and siblings. I highlighted "rational" because I have always been open to accept various things such as psychic abilities, the paranormal and other phenomenon, so I didn't want to just dismiss the abnormal, but seek a more "logical" explanation like I suppose most would.

What puzzles me the most however, is "why now?" why has this spirit or being chosen now to show itself or perhaps in my case to reintroduce itself, and in rather more forward manner than previously? Could my current emotions have reawakened its need to communicate? I have been feeling very down and depressed of late and quite stressed out over work so could that have influenced it? Also if he, she or it is trying to comfort me for my current state of feeling, then that kind of makes me upset that I dismissed it as my imagination and not some spirit that simply wanted to be friends.?

Any insight anyone could give would be a godsend at this time. I'm considering trying to communicate, but I don't want to open up any pathways to more sinister things, so I'd like to tread cautiously.

Thank you for reading and I hope to hear your thoughts soon.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from United Kingdom

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, DeanC, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will participate in the discussion and I need help with what I have experienced.

Javelina (4 stories) (3749 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-03-01)
Dean,
Love your name by the way. Your family seems to be open to the paranormal and you are none the worse for what you've experienced so far, so why the fear is creeping in is a little curious. If you are just recently opened up the these experiences perhaps there's a reason. It could be someone in need of assistance moving on, or just letting you know they are comfortable with you.
All I can add to what has already been said is don't fall victim to the fear if you can help it.
DeviousAngel (11 stories) (1910 posts)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-24)
There is some great advice on here so far. I'm glad that you're cautious about taking measures such as using Ouija boards and such, because while the items themselves are not evil, they are tools which if used improperly can cause a lot of damage.

I have to agree that your past and present experiences are most likely not related. However, I have to ask, if it's not too personal... Have you experienced any emotional or psychological changes lately? (Bear with me.) I'm not suggesting you're crazy or anything like that, but if you've become more open-minded, or perhaps nostalgic of your childhood, you might have opened yourself up a bit for communication on another level. The reason I ask is because children are innocent and it's easier for them to communicate because they don't have the skeptic's mind that adults have. If your mindset has changed for whatever reason, that may have illuminated the spiritual path to your door, so to speak.

Please keep us informed...
DeanC (1 stories) (1 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-23)
Yes, the rings were placed into the copper shell where she usually kept them. Kind of like "well why did you put them there, you don't usually leave them there. Ill pop them here for you like usuall."

I don't think I would ever use a Ouija board, I have heard both bad and good things from them and with the negative energy I'm feeling at the moment I don't think it would be wise to play around with it. I am however going to look into buying a tape recorder or decent microphone for my computer and leave it recording overnight. I never suspected this entity to be in anyway malicious but with the clear and distinct "sigh" I heard the other night I did get the impression that it is seeking some sort of attention.

I will be sure to keep you posted of my findings.

On side note this afternoon my mother again saw a shadow, I hate to use the word but it was "creeping" up the wall next to our television again, upon saying "would you stop playing around" the shadow completley froze for a moment before disapearing entirely. I'm kind of intrigued as to what may arise should I set up a recorder.
lsandhu (2 stories) (360 posts)
+1
13 years ago (2011-02-23)
Uh, the rings were in the copper shell where she normally kept them, weren't they? That's what I assumed, anyway. I don't know what to make of this story or of the connection, if any, between the current and past experiences. However, it doesn't sound like whatever it is is malicious or trying to scare you. Just trying to get your attention. Perhaps let it know that you don't mind its presence, but could it please refrain from moving/hiding your things and scaring you.
KimSouthO (27 stories) (1960 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-23)
I agree-never, never a Ouija board.

Also, where were the rings?

God Bless!
Moongrim (2 stories) (871 posts)
 
13 years ago (2011-02-23)
OK I give up, where did your mother find the rings that went missing so mysteriously?
BadJuuJuu (guest)
+2
13 years ago (2011-02-23)
If you decide to communicate, please, please do not use a Ouija board. It opens a portal and it's difficult to control what comes through. The safest bet is probably EVP. Taken a voice recorder (or if you don't have one just use the video function on your phone if it also picks up audio) ask some questions, give anyone who may be present a few minutes to answer. Listen later, see if there are any voices or sounds responding.
Keep a journal and document anything that happens. Include date, weather conditions, times if you can remember those. I also put the current moon phase in mine. Keeping a journal helps you keep track of events and spot patterns of when things are most likely to occur.
Keep taking to your family about it. You can help each other verify events.

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: