You are here: Real Ghost Stories :: Apparitions / Voices / Touches :: The Boy Out Past His Bedtime

Real Ghost Stories

The Boy Out Past His Bedtime

 

I would like to reflect on a time when I was a child. At this particular time, I was about 7 years old. Now, my parents weren't very strict and didn't have a set bedtime for us and I remember playing late outside this night. My younger brother, Ernest, was playing with me. He was 5.

After chasing each other and digging through the dirt, etc (doing things kids do) we noticed a boy at the end of our block outside, as well. My brother began taunting him about being so close to the street without his parents. I was embarrassed and tried convincing Ernest not to pick on him. My brother was relentless, though, and continued to make statements about the boy playing next to the road alone.

The boy didn't pay any mind to Ernest and, in fact, started jumping into the air as if to catch an insect flying. He started following this insect and while jumping, ended up where he was about to cross the street. At this point Ernest went inside, but I decided to stay and watch. There was something about this boy that looked and felt out of the ordinary.

For one, why was he about to cross the street without a parent? He looked to be somewhere around my age. It wasn't just that, something about him was strangely off. I stood there to examine him. He was skinny, African American and he wore an orange shirt. I couldn't help but to notice how bright the shirt appeared. He never turned his head my direction. Something about his shirt just didn't match with what I would expect to see in everyday appearances. I don't know how to explain it because I hadn't questioned about the brightness of it at first glance.

He looked both ways and crossed the road. I remembered thinking, "I can't believe a little boy just crossed the road." He began running towards our way, but across the street, never paying attention once to me. My gut feeling told me that it wasn't right, so I stood out there watching him and observing.

There was a beautiful big white house in front of us. I started to wonder where this boy was running to. He reached the left side of the house in front of us and then, suddenly he disappeared! It was something I would never forget. I've never seen an actual ghost, before or after that. I've only heard stories. I remember exactly how it happened. It was like, as soon as he was lifting his leg to take another step, the outer part of his body began to diminish, as if it were small particles. Then, just like that, it's as if he was never there.

I went inside to go tell my mom and brother what happened. Of course, neither of them believed me. A few moments later after all the excitement had gone, I explained to her that I was telling the truth. It was the ghost story for years to come.

We live in a small town and the strange thing is that we cannot recall any story of a boy passing that would match the description of the boy we saw. As an adult, I even skimmed through the old newspapers at the library to see if I could find any answers, but have come up with nothing. Nonetheless, it is still a good ghost story that I tell to my children at night when they ask to hear them.

Hauntings with similar titles

Find ghost hunters and paranormal investigators from Texas

Comments about this paranormal experience

The following comments are submitted by users of this site and are not official positions by yourghoststories.com. Please read our guidelines and the previous posts before posting. The author, manipatsy78227, has the following expectation about your feedback: I will read the comments and participate in the discussion.

manipatsy78227 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-31)
You know personally I believe there may be a possibility of it being someone they knew before possibly visiting. The thing about our town is there was only 2 black children my age in school growing up. So I find it a little more than a coincidence that he was headed away from those apartments. He was probably someone the mother knew. She was a single mother, maybe a son or cousin who passed away. I believe the shirt was more of a 60s/70s era maybe even 80s. I don't think we would of payed too much attention if it was during the day. I really believe his shirt was like a neon color orange and his presence looked somehow off making it appear "different."
valkricry (49 stories) (3269 posts) mod
 
7 years ago (2017-08-22)
manipatsy,
Figuring out who this boy was might be almost impossible. I'd think asking the folks who lived there (assuming they still do) if they knew such a child would just be awkward, and if you never heard anyone else having seen him, it may have been a one off thing.
The color orange wasn't too popular for boys shirts until the 60s - (when anything 'loud' was 'in'). Which does tie in with Augusta's theory.
Could be that big white house once had servants. Might be he was just passing going 'home' from visiting someone. Guess we'll never know.
manipatsy78227 (1 stories) (2 posts)
 
7 years ago (2017-08-22)
[at] RCRuskin no but I did find it a coincidence that the people who lived in the apartments where we seen him coming from were black. Maybe it was a family member/son who passed before we were born. I never found out
Miracles51031 (39 stories) (4999 posts) mod
+2
7 years ago (2017-08-22)
Augusta - your comment made me think of another possible theory. Maybe when the boy was alive that place was a source of happy times for him and he returned/returns there because of the memories associated with it.
AugustaM (7 stories) (996 posts)
+3
7 years ago (2017-08-22)
Could you pick anything else out about his clothes - such as the cut or style? For example - was the orange shirt a T-shirt? Were his pants modern shorts or pants or did they look different? Do you think the orange looked so bright because it was neon or because of an ethereal glow?

A time slip is a good suggestion to explain why you were unable to find any record of a tragic death in the area. As another, if the boy died before the 1960s, it is possible that his passing was not reported on because of his color - whether from natural causes such as illness or if he was struck by a car while playing in the street. It also might serve to look into the age of that lovely white hoise that he seemed to return to. If it started out as a plantation, that might be clue to send the theorizing in another direction.
Melda (10 stories) (1363 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-21)
manipatsy - If you had seen this little boy during daylight hours, do you think you would have paid any attention to him and would it have bothered you that he was outside on his own?

I only ask this because you say both you and your brother were surprised that he was playing next to the road and about to cross the road on his own, so I'm assuming your concern was because it was nighttime.

Your little ghost boy might have lived and died in the area years before you saw him, possibly due to natural causes, so it isn't surprising that you weren't able to find any information on him.

It could also have been a residual event, as he took no notice of you or of your brother when your brother was trying to attract his attention.

Thanks for sharing your interesting experience.

Regards, Melda
RCRuskin (9 stories) (817 posts)
+1
7 years ago (2017-08-21)
It might simply have been some sort of time slip, you and your brother being able to glimpse into the past, or the future.

Is there any record of previous families that lived in the white house you mentioned?

To publish a comment or vote, you need to be logged in (use the login form at the top of the page). If you don't have an account, sign up, it's free!

Search this site: